close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

very interesting

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, Apr 18, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    never seen this before. A bonafied 12 ga German Mauser bolt gun.
    store owner tells me it is a retro/mod. looks like a rifle bolt with a face/extractor fitted to it. and of course a 12ga smoothbore attached. i don't know how useful but very cool!

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    yeah the germans actually made them things after ww1, due to the versailles treaty mauser was up a creek, and that was what they were allowed to build.

3. 12 GA.

I HAVE A FEW 12 GA.. SOME ARE VERY WELL DONE. BOY DO THEY KICK. ALL THEY WEIGHT IS A FEW POUNDS.
    DANA

4. jerry

USA
    interesting, i see where they would kick!

5. DROP?

WHAT I ALSO DID NOT SAY IS THE RIFLE STOCKS DO NOT HAVE MUCH DROP I.E. ALMOST STRAIGHT LINE.
    DANA

6. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Caution!

Many years ago there were warnings not to shoot these 12 ga. conversions on Mauser 98 actions. To make room for the 12ga. case head the locking lugs were removed leaving only the root of the bolt handle as the only lug. Many of these only partially engage the bolt relief cut in the side of the action, and if properly done would not be in contact when originally made as a CF rifle. All of the 12 ga. are conversions from rifle actions and should be considered unsafe. On some of the late war actions only the frt. of the bolt where the locking lugs are was heat treated leaving the rest of the bolt unhardened. The conversions cut this part off.

In the intrest of keeping all of you around, hang-em on the wall, don't shoot them.

Please don't bother telling me how long you've been shooting you 98 12ga. because the next shot could be the one that puts the bolt through your eye!--------BE SAFE!

Dave375

7. jerry

USA
    OK, this has got me thinki'n. I have a JC Higgins bolt gun & I'm pretty sure the lock up is on the bolt area as well, albeit this gun was intended to operate in this fashion. Has this been an issue with this type of firearm in genera that anyone else has heard of? thanx for the interesting and informative info.

8. dave375hh

Ohio
    Jerry.

The JC Higgens bolt action that you refer to has a square locking lug at the root of the bolt handle that is properly heat treated to withstand the pressure. The downside is the reciever wall right behind the boltlug can fail. A guy brought one to me to have the bbl. shortened and sights installed to use it as a sluggun. when I inspected the gun I found a crack in the reciever about 3/4" long directly behind the bolt handle. There was only about a 1/4" of metal remaining before it would have turned the bolt into a missle directed at the shooters eye. That crack didn't happen all at once, but over time. The owner just never looked the gun over or checked it. Sort of like never checking the oil, tires, or coolant in your car, You will have trouble you just don't know when.

Dave375

9. J.C. HIGGINS

I HAVE A JC HIGGENS 12 GA THAT I TRIED TO BLOW UP FOR A PROP IN MY HUNTER SAFTY COURSE. I PLACED A 20 GA SHELL IN FRONT OF THE 12 GA AND DROVE THE GUN INTO THE DIRT. BANG, AND NO RESULTS. PLUGED THE BARREL WITH RAGS AND THE 20 GA WITH THE 12 GA. BANG, STILL NO RESULTS. THE ACTION IS JUST AS SMOOTH AS IT WAS BEFORE THE EXERCISE. I DID NOT TELL THE CLASS ABOUT THE FAILURE TO BLOW UP THE GUN SO AS NOT TO GIVE THE WRONG IDEA ABOUT MIXING SHELLS IN A SHOTGUN.
    DANA

10. dave375hh

Ohio
    Dana,

Did you play the lottery after that experiment?

My post was an example of one gun not an inditement of the JC Higgens. Which is a Marlin I think.

The original warning about the Mauser conversions refers to ALL of them, and was posted in several of the gun mags. I first saw it in the American Rifleman, and later in several others. When they fail there are no warning signs to look for.

Your blow-up test/attempt would have put more pressure on the barrel & chamber with some increase in bolt thrust, but not near what the barrel withstood.
    Where did the pressure go if it didn't burst the barrel? The gases had to go somewhere. Just curious.

Dave375

11. WHO KNOWS??????

THAT WAS MY QUESTION ALSO. THE RAGS STAYED . THE ACTION IS AS ORIGINAL AS I CAN TELL AND THE BARREL IS FINE. IF I HAD NOT BEEN THE ONE TO TRY YOU COULD NOT KNOW WHAT HAD BEEN ATTEMPTED.
    DANA

12. jerry

USA
    Still interesting, I don't mean to start a riot. I have confidence in the ole JC. It gets shot very little anyhoo. I do inspect firearms reguarly. I don't have too much to talk about on most of the topics due to the fact my guns work. I never seen any negative article on the mauser conversion, but don't deny the fact they exist. I reckon we just all need to be extra careful all the time.

13. dave375hh

Ohio
    Jerry, Dana,

No flames or riots intended. I would have liked to been there to see that one, facinating?????? The line about the lotto was tounge in cheek, and only ment for laughs.

Dave375

14. WORRY

I HAD GRAVE THOUGHTS AFTER THE FIRST TRY. WOULD IT FIRE ON CLOSING THE BOLT? AS TO THE LOTTO I HAVE A ROLEX PRODUCT FROM MY LOTTO MONEY. EVEN BETTER THAN THE LOTTO I HAVE 50 YEARS WITH THE SAME WONDERFUL WIFE.TALK ABOUT WINNERS !!!!!
    DANA