VERY thorough AK clean

Discussion in 'AK47' started by H&R12G, Sep 22, 2010.

1. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

I've shared with you something some of you might remember. I spilled wood stain on my ak once. Well, I cleaned it once but I'm still finding evidence of stain and it's driving me INSANE! Every stain I see I get PO'd because for every one spot I get out another 2 or 3 show up. So, I wanna bathe it or soak it or something. How do I do this? I know I use Acetone, or posotive I use Acetone. Do I take EVERYTHING out? I need a list of what needs to go out or what can stay in. I would have the GM gunsmith do it but he wants to charge a lot to drag his a$$ and put it off for 2 weeks before starting. Also, how much Acetone would I need? I got the smaller of the 2 canisters you get at Walmart worth of it.

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I think that acetone is NOT the choice to use...It is very volatile and the vapors are explosive .
    You need to strip the stock and sand it to bare wood , then stain and finish with either oil or a Polyurethane coating.

3. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The stock is fine, it's everywhere else that bothers me. it' now just mainly in nooks and crannies all over the rifle where I missed them. Such as the front sight, where the cleaning rod lies, places like that if ya get me.

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Remove the wood , and use alcohol or preferably Mineral spirits and a toothbrush to remove stain from the metal surfaces...

5. BigElkCanoe

BigElkCanoe G&G Addict Forum Contributor

Moose is right acetone is not the chemical to use, I've refinished lots of stocks, antique furniture. If it is a Hardwood like walnut rub it with mineral spirits till its dripping the bad spots will show up when wet. While it is wet use a nylon or brass bristle brush (nylon for softer brass for harder wood) WITH the grain gently scratch the area to open up the grain. Wipe it dry and apply stripper. I use kleen strip the gel type apply a heavy coat and let set for 15-20 min but don't let it dry out. Wipe it off and bathe the entire stock in mineral spirits. Let it set and dry out for a day then fine grit sand (400 grit ) and you should be good to go. I like about 6 light coats of polyurethane with a light sand 600 grit after the first 3 or four coats.

Blake

6. BigElkCanoe

BigElkCanoe G&G Addict Forum Contributor

Sorry I thought you were talking about the stock.

7. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

Just normal rubbing alcohol? Or is there a certain alcohol? I'm assuming you mean just rubbing alcohol.

It's cool BEC. I knew that was gona happen. I'm never clear enough on questions or problems.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Denatured alcohol available at any Hardware store / Walmart in the paint section.

9. I use 90% with good results, I get it at Buy Mart in the Med section, that way its a little cheaper and I can use smaller bottles with less evap loss.

10. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

Ha, good because I got a small canister of denatured alcohol too. can't remember why but I got it. I Probably actually used THAT, instead of the acetone and the acetone was for a different project.

11. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    If you can clean it outside use some carb cleaner.

12. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

Ya know, out of all my auto chemicals I have no carb cleaner. And I have to work on them outside. I get yelled at when I work inside. I got an almost full canister of denatured alcohol. I'll make do with that.

13. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

If you have a blued finish on the steel if it was mine I would pull the wood off & take it down to the coin car wash and use the pressure washer to blast out the nooks & crannies. Then use a compressed air blow gun to remove excess water, oil real heavy, and put the wood back on.
    Don't try it on a painted finish, you will blast the paint right off.