Victim 2 Perps 0

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by blueice, Aug 23, 2010.

1. I sure enjoyed reading this article and thanking God that this women was not harmed!

Woman 2, thugs 0 after home invasion

[​IMG] [​IMG] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]FIGHTING BACK[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Woman 2, thugs 0 after home invasion

[/FONT] [FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Oklahoma break-in turns deadly when 'victim' pulls gun and fires

[/FONT] [SIZE=-1]Posted: July 24, 2010
    11:00 pm Eastern

[/SIZE] [FONT=Palatino, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times, serif]By Bob Unruh[/FONT]
    [SIZE=-1] © 2010 WorldNetDaily [/SIZE]

[​IMG]

Entertainment center smashed while intruders were attacking Oklahoma woman (Photo by Steven Conrad of Conrad Images) One gun isn't enough.

That was what Linda Smith (a pseudonym) was thinking after two thugs broke into her Oklahoma apartment. One was holding a weapon (she initially thought it was a knife but it turned out to be a screwdriver) at her throat, and the other was pacing back and forth while holding her purse and demanding her money and valuables. She screamed, and was told if she screamed again, she'd be dead.

She was doing as police recommend in robberies – comply with a robber's demands. But her Lady Smith & Wesson .38 special, which she carries by permit, was hidden in her purse – and the purse was being held by one of the attackers.

Then the situation, suddenly, got much, much worse: One of the robbers demanded that she take off her clothes.
    "Come on, what are you waiting for," he told her as he started to yank on her sweatpants, trying to take them off.

Here's everything you need to know about firearms and ammunition

Smith pleaded for her safety and distracted the attackers by telling them she would get her money, which was "in my purse."
    The robbers inexplicably allowed her to drop to her knees and crawl across the floor to her purse, which the second attacker had dropped.)

She reached inside, and the first shot was clear of the muzzle and into the torso of one of the attackers before she even pulled the weapon clear of the purse. Four more shots followed shortly and, in the end, one of the attackers was dead and the second was hospitalized facing a murder rap for having participated in a felony in which someone died.

Smith, in an exclusive interview with WND, explained she comes from a family that believes in self-reliance and courage.

"I choose to carry a concealed firearm, because even though I am immensely grateful for the protection from our police departments, I realize they're not God, so they can't be everywhere at once.

"Deadly situations can happen in the blink of an eye," she said. "If you are not proactive … you are a vulnerable target."
    Smith, an Endowment member of the National Rifle Association, said she's carried a gun for almost half a decade, but never dreamed she'd be in a situation where she'd have to use it to defend her life. But she's glad the training she's had over the years kicked in at a time when it saved her from injury, or possibly much worse.

"Ironically, I thought I was really prepared," she told WND. "I remember that night and saw my life flash before my eyes.

Darreon Carter, the man who was attempting to rape me, had me pinned down to my couch, with a knife at my throat. I knew I didn't have access to my gun. I thought to myself, I really need to have a firearm for my home, and directly on my person."

[​IMG]

Mess left by two attackers shot when they invaded Oklahoma woman's apartment and she shot them. One died. (Photo by Steven Conrad of Conrad Images)

Rachel Parsons, an official for the NRA, said, while Smith's case is among the more dramatic, there are similar scenarios that have been reported. But even more, there are many crimes that simply are not carried out because of the possibility that a "victim" is fully armed, she said.

"We see every day in newspapers across this country times when law-abiding people are able to protect themselves because they have concealed-carry permits," she said.

"Numerous studies [show] having a concealed-carry permit, having a firearm and the ability to use one, has thwarted crime without the firearm ever having been fired," she said.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

All the gun laws, regulations, rules, restrictions, plans and advisories in the world are not going to change the fact that criminals have guns, she pointed out.

"By definition, criminals break the law. All of these regulations do absolutely nothing [to stop] criminals," she said.

Jason Willingham, a public-information officer with the Tulsa Police Department, told WND that officers encourage people to cooperate with robbers if they find themselves in the situation of losing a wallet or cash.

"However, if it's a situation where a rape is going to take place, or a kidnapping, we definitely encourage people to fight," he said. "You do not want to go willing. Scream. Make people wonder what's going on."

"Obviously, in this situation she did exactly … the right thing," he said.

While the prosecutor had not yet made a formal decision regarding her case, Willingham told WND that Oklahoma not only has a "make my day" law allowing residents to use deadly force inside their homes, but also a "stand your ground" law allowing force to be used against an attack outside the home.

He said the surviving attacker probably will face a murder charge under a state law allowing that charge when a person embarks on a felony and someone dies.

He said the two perpetrators are "well-known" to the Tulsa police "for criminal activities."

He said he had reviewed the 911 tapes made of Smith's call to police after the shooting.

[​IMG]
    "It's amazing. She's calm and collected. You always wonder what would happen in such a situation," he said.

According to records, the attack happened early on the morning of July 15, and one of the intruders, Darreon Carter, 18, died hours later in a hospital in Tulsa. The other, Daniel Holman, 23, was facing charges while still in critical condition.

Capt. Travis Yates of the Tulsa Police Department told the Tulsa newspaper it seemed to be an "opportunity crime."

"Somebody saw a woman walking up to an apartment, and they decided to commit a crime, and here we are," he said.

The attack developed only about 24 hours after another home invasion was reported in the area – and that one left a resident dead. Willingham, however, told WND it was unrelated to the Smith ordeal.

On the Tulsa World forum page, Smith came in for virtually unchallenged praise:

• "The scumbags got what they deserved and I hope it is a lesson for the rest of them out there."
    • "God bless this shooter."
    • "Pay attention to this one. This is what is going to have to start happening to let all these no good punks [know] that you won't stand for it and are taking your freedom back. … You come to take whats [sic] mine 'I will shoot you.'"
    • "KEEP SHOOTING!!!"
    • "Buy a gun. Learn how to use it. Kill intruders. Any questions?"
    • "A perfect example of why we need the concealed carry! this is my kind of woman! fight crime! shoot back!"
    • "Lock and load people, it's a different world out there."
    • "I love the great equalizer."
    • "This story makes me feel all warm and fuzzy."
    Smith told WND she had come into her apartment after a late-night run for errands – she keeps unusual hours because of shift work at a hospital. She had one more item to fetch from outside but never got the chance because, within 20 seconds of her entering, the suspects followed.

She recalled with clarity the five shots, including those in which she picked out the attackers even though her boyfriend, black like the attackers, was struggling with them. He had been visiting and came in from the next room after the shots rang out.

He reported to Smith later that one of the attackers actually had a headlock on him when she fired, knocking the assailant off of him.
    He had jumped into Smith's defense as both attackers were beating Smith's face and head, trying to knock her out to break her "death grip" on the weapon.

"We need to stand up and we don't have to be victims," Smith told WND. "We don't have to passively stand by and allow criminals to overtake us."

2. Protect your self, the first human right that shall not be infringed.

3. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

Definitely my kind of woman.

4. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Absolutely wonderful, it is situations like this where practicing, and becoming proficient with your preferred self defense gun could save your life.

5. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Its sad that she had to actually kill somebody. She has to live with it for the rest of her life but It's definetly better than being dead. Hopefully these dipsh#ts learn that breaking into to people's home's has consequences. Hopefully I'll never HAVE to actually kill somebody but I'm prepared if the need ever arose.

6. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Good for her. I pray that I never have to be in a situation where I have to use deadly force to defend myself or loved ones. I have no doubt in my mind that if I ever were to be forced into a situation like that I wouldn't hesitate to protect my family or myself.

7. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I wish they had shown a Lady Smith instead of a glock...but whatever. Good for her. She probably stopped a crime wave with $1 worth of lead and copper.

8. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    She was very brave and very resourceful.

It is obvious she was also well-practiced with her hand gun.

Good for her.

I have made sure that my wife has the ability to do this if she ever needs to, as well.

ANYONE who carries a concealed hand gun had better have already decided that they can and will do the same thing if the need arises.

As for the feelings of guilt or remorse after the incident, that will vary between individuals. Some will be affected. Others may not. It just depends on your training and mind set. These were not innocent fellow human beings that she shot. These were career criminals that intended to do her bodily harm. They got better than they deserved.:yup:

9. +1

10. I have and shall continue to encourage women to carry, (firearms) as they are all to vulnerable to crime...

She was going to be raped and or worse...

11. flyingbrkracing

flyingbrkracing G&G Enthusiast

+1
    It's terrible that someone had to die,BUT these guys brought it on themselves and I am glad that this woman is alive and well.
    She may feel bad when she thinks about what she had to do but I'm sure the very next second she'll remember what they planned to do and she won't feel so bad.

12. dodge310

dodge310 G&G Newbie

Sounds like something I could live with just fine. Hope the situation never comes up, but I doubt I'll lose any sleep over having to make that choice.

Good for her though. Kept her from getting robbed and raped and possibly killed.

13. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

this is why i own dogs. the boyfriend was in the other room, probobly asleep, and didnt know what was going on until shots were fired. if my wife came home late and someone followed her in my dogs would be going balistic, even if they were in the bedroom with me and the door was closed. all id have to do is open the door and the dogs would instantly go to her defense. then my and my 12 could come in and sweep up.
    really i believe everyone should own 2 larger dogs. sheperds, pits, dobermans, huskys, chow chows, mastiffs, wolf hounds, english bull dogs, american bull dogs, boxers, rots, and st. bernards all make good dogs for protecting your loved ones.
    chows may sound funny, but they are fn mean to people they dont know.