close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vietnam GI helmet

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AR-tim, Apr 14, 2002.

1. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Ok, here we go. I just bought a Vietnam era GI helmet at surplus store for $30 total investment. $25 for the helmet, liner(smaller helmet that fits inside the steel one) with all the " adjusting straps", reversable cover(desert camo on one side, forest camo on the other), and a new chin strap since the old one was missing one side. I bought the newer style woodland camo cover for five bucks. Here is the problem...I got a big head-I take a size 7 3/4" military cover(hat). So I figured, if they make hats that big, I can adjust the helmet to fit with the "straps" in side. If I take the liner out, it fits, but when I put the helmet over it it squeezes my head to tight-front to back. Any ideas?? I would wear it without the liner, but then nothing is holding the cover in tight. Could I just squeeze(in a vice) the helmet on the sides enough that it would bend, and take to that shape, or would that crack it? I thought I would ask you guys before I mess this thing up. I am saying this to make fun of my own giant head, but most hats fit me like a yarmulkes(ya-mi-ca). I can't help it I got a big head, but I want a helmet that fits......I don't mind if you guys let a few big head jokes slide in here...;)

Thanks

-Tim

2. Armorer

Armorer Guest

First of all, Why wpuld you want one?
    Secondly, they made 3 sizes of liner sweat bands.
    You just have to find a bigger one.

3. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Just want one. Its always a good thing to have( I am a fan of army surplus). I have BDUs, boots, pistol belt, gas mask and need a helmet to complete the package. Its really close, just a little bit off. With or without the adjusting band(adjusted out all the way), it fits about the same. I will just tinker abit with it...

Thanks

-Tim

4. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Protective mask BTW

5. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I played with it a lot, and I got it fitting pretty good. I'll just putz with it a little more.......I am assuming you are saying I should say protective mask, instead of gas mask, right?

-Tim

6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    ur gonna get a sore neck wearing that heavy pot around all the time!hahahaha:cool:

7. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I got a sore neck from lugging this big of a head around all the time......;)

-Tim

8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    sorry cant help ya with the big head, but i know i used to hate them steel pots. does anybody know if the navy still uses them freakin things, i know we still had them when i got out in 95.

9. What! No Kevlars as of 1995 in the Navy! Ugh!:eek:

10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    no the navy was a little behind-we still shot 1911's,and m-14's. thank god.

11. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

AR-TIM, Not trying to turn this into a classified or nothing but I also have been collecting that stuff for quite a while. I might just get rid of the stuff now. I've got the new type Kevlar Helmet, and the Kevlar camo flack vest that the current G.I troops wear. The flack vest will stop any normal pistol slugs at point blank range. If your interested in any of it, drop me an email sniper762@nc.rr.com

12. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Dude, this is over 2 yrs old...don't think Tim even comes around anymore....

13. NRAJOE

04-22-2003, 11:09 AM
    Replies: 987 Old (or new) pick 'em up trucks...
    Views: 8,699 Posted By AR-tim

Well not for 4 months.......

14. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

Thanks Joe, I'll be more aware of the dates. I had not noticed. I'm a newcomer to this site.

15. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I sitll have my pop's old Vietnam helmet and liner.....

16. NRAJOE

Wish I still had mine...still 'Nam leftovers when I was in.....used to wash up from them...fill 'em full of hot water and shave out in the field...don't think you can do that with the Kevlar ones....

17. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Sniper -- check with BRG he may want it or GunGeek will want it