Vikings may not be who we thought they were, DNA study finds

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by grizcty, Sep 20, 2020.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Poor old Rambo, will be heart broken.
    When he reads that his DNA might not be what he wants it to be. viking.gif

History books typically depict Vikings as blue-eyed, blonde-haired, burly men sailing the North Atlantic coast to pillage wherever they set foot on land. While some of that may be true, a new genetic study of Viking DNA is flipping much of this history on its head.

In the largest genetic study of Viking DNA ever, scientists have found that Vikings — and their diaspora — are actually much more genetically diverse than we may have thought and were not necessarily all part of a homogenous background.

Sequencing the genomes of over 400 Viking men, women, and children from ancient burial sites, researchers found evidence of genetic influence from Southern Europe and Asia in Viking DNA dating back to before the Viking Age (750 - 1050 A.D.).

The authors also note that individuals not related to Vikings genetically, such as native Pictish people of Scotland and Ireland, sometimes received traditional Viking burials — suggesting that being a Viking was not so much about specific family roots but about a sense of internal identity.

In the study, published Wednesday in the journal Nature, an international team of researchers reports findings from their six-year-long study of 442 human remains from burial sites that date back between the Bronze Age (2400 B.C.) to the Early Modern period (1600 A.D.)

When comparing the genetic material of these ancient samples with 3,855 present-day individuals from regions like the United Kingdom, Denmark, and Sweden, and data from 1,118 ancient individuals, they discovered more intermixing of genetic material than they'd originally imagined, lead author and director of The Lundbeck Foundation GeoGenetics Centre at the University of Copenhagen, Eske Willerslev, said in a statement.

"We have this image of well-connected Vikings mixing with each other, trading and going on raiding parties to fight Kings across Europe because this is what we see on television and read in books — but genetically we have shown for the first time that it wasn't that kind of world," explains Willerslev.

"This study changes the perception of who a Viking actually was — no one could have predicted these significant gene flows into Scandinavia from Southern Europe and Asia happened before and during the Viking Age."

Full story:
    https://www.inverse.com/science/viking-dna-study?utm_source=pocket-newtab

2. Makes perfect sense to me, and probably to almost any other history nerd who's fond of studying Celtic and Northern European history.

The Vikings established trade routes that included Italy, Poland and Russia. Slaves were captured, traded and freed all the time. They also married and brought wives and children home from their trade routes. Freed slaves married into local communities as well.

So all of this intermarriage would of course lead to a diverse gene pool. But what do history nerds know ;)

TACAV, neophyte, EtherialOne and 6 others like this.

3. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I'm surprised some "scientist" didn't say he found "overwhelming evidence" that Vikings originated from Zimbabwe.

neophyte, ncnascarlady and noelekal like this.
  4. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

The "experts" gotta earn that gubmit grant somehow, especially making it sound more difficult than it really is.:rolleyes:

5. noelekal

noelekal G&G Evangelist

A copy of this edition of Gwyn Jones' "A History Of the Vikings" resides on a bookshelf here. It's a pretty encompassing and enlightening narrative on all things Viking and highly recommended.

[​IMG]

neophyte and ncnascarlady like this.
  6. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Hehe...yes and funny thing is when researching my genetic/birth ancestry. I found out that the clan MacKinnon is supposed to mean "fair haired" in celtic. I also used to joke that since it's a NW coastal clan that there had to be a " viking in the woodpile" so to speak.
    I do need to probably break down and buy the DNA test kit. But I keep forgetting to and spend my discretionary funds on firearms and various other weapons. That in itself ought to be proof of Celtic/Viking ancestry.:D

neophyte, EtherialOne, Cyrano and 4 others like this.
  7. Had that happened I would have to hunt them down and introduce them to my trusty skillet. My Swedish ancestors would work overtime on my last nerve if I didn't!

8. I don't have to joke about it. My mother's mother was from Sweden and her father was from a long line of seafarers. Which goes a long way toward explaining why large bodies of water are one of my happy places. :)

9. poltiregist

poltiregist G&G Evangelist

The only way the D.N.A. study would be valid is if they were done on pre raiding era corpses . One of their main objective was to obtain slaves from the raided area . The male captives were normally casterated soon after leaving their homeland shores . So D.N.A. from another group of people would likely be from a female captive . Even the D.N.A of an Native American was found in an ancestor test in the Traditional Viking homeland , suggesting they had visited the American continent and took back a female Native American .

Huey Rider likes this.
  10. There's plenty of proof the Vikings made it to North America. There are several fishing village sites in Newfoundland, Labrador and Maine that have been identified and there is an ancient church in Norway with an image of a turkey in the stained glass window. Considering turkeys are a New World animal, how do you explain that?

Huey Rider, neophyte and blaster like this.
  11. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I would say you're spending wisely.:p

neophyte likes this.
  12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

My father's side of my family is all Norwegian, as well as my grandfather's family on my mother's side. My mom's mother was Cherokee indian.
    Growing up,I was educated well about my Viking and Native American ancestory by both sides of my family. It's knowledge that I have always cherished,and have been proud to be part of.

13. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Both my daughters, AND my wife are Norwegian. My daughters both, have "Valkyrie" tattoos. BOTH embrace their "Viking" heritage. Somewhere on this website, are pics I posted of Miss K, getting her tattoo, at 15. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    neophyte and ncnascarlady like this.
  14. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

and the Egyptian Mummies have tested positive for tobacco and cocaine, both New World drugs. there was a lot more exploring and commerce going on way before Columbus "discovered the New World".
    the Viking raiders were Norse people. to "go a Viking" was the term for going on a raid. Vikings were the men who carried out the raid. the rest of the tribe were Norse. the Vikings raided all over Europe and Eurasia. they traveled down all the major rivers and even raided Sicily. even I may have some Norse blood in my dark skinned ***!

Huey Rider, ncnascarlady and neophyte like this.
  15. Hmm, thinking you're sending your money in a much better Direction! ...
    In all seriousness I wouldn't spend the money on a DNA Test.

My Dad did a couple of years before he passed (he has suspicions that perhaps half of his Gene's might not have been from the fruit of our Paternal family Tree :rolleyes: ... and Inquiring minds want to Know!) and he had me help pick the company and navigate the somewhat awkward and complicated web site and here's my Take-

- They sell this stuff like it's Magic and it's Not! It's an industry full of Hype and it's competitive, so depending on who you go with you will only readily see "Their" results (they also use how many Samples "They" have as a selling point), so what you can easily see depends on who you go with.

- I'm of Slavic descent, and in my Father's case they did not have that many Records and very few people matches of much proximity. These sites often use very generic models to show rough geographies etc to make you feel like your getting something, but it's a Long Long way from the "Forensic Files" way they portray the service IMO.

- You can download your Data then Upload it to another Site / Company and see what they say but it's not the easiest process so I did not do it, and I'm not sure if the other companies show you what they have without a fee when you give them your data.

- The Pricing is Tiered, and these companies IMO are Pretty Proud of their Services!

- If you value your Privacy I would stay away! Although they won't share their data with their competitors in a cooperative way to give you the best results, they will share it with the Government and there have been cases of Old crimes being solved in this way. And while it's easy to say "I'm Not a Criminal so I have Nothing to Worry About", There isn't IMO anything much more personal than your Genetic Code and to be honest while DNA evidence can be a good thing, we all leave DNA literally Everywhere we go and it's incredibly easy for samples to be get contaminated if not handled to very exacting standards, so My Tinfoil hat says Mmmm ... I Think I'll Pass!

- So after going through this with my Dad and his Purchase of a middle of the road Test. I can tell you that he was Pizzed and felt he was misled and taken for a ride, and I felt that It might work for some and be great but our experience was more "Magic Snake Oil" than meaningful and for that you traded some pretty intimate information that you can't undo.

Just my 2c's worth, Your Mileage may Vary!

16. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Get a DNA profile. Many who claim the Scandinavian heritage may not be. Names have changed but your genetics have not. :)

17. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The same aliens who built the pyramids, aztec temples and stonehenge.

:p:p:p

hey! Maybe the aliens were giant super intelligent turkeys! The vikings were honoring the them with the stained glass window. ;)

18. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Most Vikings were blonde, according to history, but bodies found with hair intact generally show that the hair had been bleached.

The Vikings bleached their hair to kill the critters they picked up in dirtier countries.

The Norsemen, of whom the Vikings were the warrior class, did so much traveling that evidence of their travels can be found along the Volga, across the Mediterranean and North Africa, and even in North America. One of our most detailed foreign accounts of the Norse people even comes from an Arab source.

Considering history talks about how the Vikings generally kidnapped their brides from abroad, I would not be surprised to see all sorts of DNA in the mix.

19. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

20. Sawbuck57

Sawbuck57 G&G Regular

These days the news is filled with people claiming to be races other than the race they actually are, and claiming to be all manner of gender. I figure if someone wants to be a Viking that makes a lot more sense than the previous examples!