Violent Storms Last Night

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Brother Bob, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

We got hit with bad storms a little after midnight. According to Mesonet, Doppler estimated winds near the surface at 80-90 mph. I lost two apple trees and the upper half of one of my pine trees. Had to detour on my way to the ranges this morning as a large tree blocked the road. Limbs and leaves everywhere. Found one of my range garbage cans in a ditch, about 75 ft. away! Will have to run my fence lines and make sure they are not down due to storm damage. Picked up 1.5 inches of rain. How any rain got into the gauge is a miracle as the rain came down sideways! Will post pics later.

jwrauch, TXplt, BigEd63 and 2 others like this.
  2. Brother Bob

3. Brother Bob

4. Dayam. We are still waiting for the Monsoon season to get in full swing here in sunny southern Arizona.

Brother Bob, jerry and TXplt like this.
  5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

OH MAN Brother Bob!!! What a storm that hit you, hoping that your home was not damaged by the storm! :eek:

jerry, TXplt and Brother Bob like this.
  6. Brother Bob

45,000 without power in central Oklahoma. Daughter in Norman is without power since last night. May be days before all is back to normal. Lots of poles and power lines down. Dangerous heat expected with temps around 100 with high humidity and light winds.

PAPA G likes this.
  7. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Brother Bob I hope there is no other damage to be found on your property. Man you got it bad not too long ago with ice too. This year has been the strangest weather pattern I have seen. We also have had sudden winds and storms pop up a few times a week. Got it yesterday. Be careful Bob.

PAPA G, Brother Bob and TXplt like this.
  8. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Wow Bob — hope you weathered the storm ok and stay well !

Had a few boomers go through PA several weeks ago downing some trees here; will be back in TX later in the week.

PAPA G and Brother Bob like this.
  9. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Been thru a bad summer storm here, loosing power for several days, so I know it isn't any fun. Hope you all make out okay!

PAPA G and Brother Bob like this.
  10. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Apparently that stuff was moving East. We got some of it in IL.

PAPA G, Brother Bob and rando like this.
  11. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I've seen the announcements of storms "in the U.S." due to heat, but all we have here is the heat.

PAPA G, Brother Bob and rando like this.
  12. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Mitch there is a heat wave coming our way and supposed to be around 100 for awhile

PAPA G likes this.
  13. Brother Bob

Bad weather year for us. Sub freezing temperatures with snow in April did a number on our fruit trees. Two hail storms, the second one was the worst. The hail just kept getting bigger and lasted about 45 minutes. The only tree to bear fruit was my Granny Smith and it’s snapped at ground level. Have a buddy that owns a huge tree farm. I’ve got three pecans that have never grown, so I’ll replace them with peach trees. I’ll replace another peach that died and then replace the two apple tees and plant three more. Then plant some hardwood cedars or something to block the wind a little. Yeah, almost forgot about the ice storm that did a number on my pines this winter.

PAPA G likes this.
  14. graybeard

graybeard G&G Evangelist

Virginia
    We are finally getting a few raindrops here after 2+ weeks of no rain whatsoever. At least I didn't have to mow the grass this weekend.

PAPA G, rando and jerry like this.
  15. OneShotKill

OneShotKill G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    About 75 miles west of you Bro Bob, got limbs down everywhere, and a few trees, found 4 baby squirrels on the ground. 2 dead, hope she comes back for the other 2. Weather guy said it was 75 here. Lost power from 1:00 to about 5:00, too lazy to go out in hook up the generator in the wind. Lost power twice this week and phone 3 times this week.

PAPA G, rando and jerry like this.
  16. Cattman

Cattman G&G Evangelist

a diabetic dialisis unit on the pine ridge rez got totally destroyed by a tornado and hail with it. gov. facility so they are going to rebuild it as we speak. army or some body like that is bringing in temp facility until new one built. we saw pictures of it and nothing left of it. wind and bad storms seem to hang in that area more than the rest of s.dak. its either the devil or the lay of the land. ive seen tornados out their when i was a home health nurse and had patients out that way. where wounded knee happened it is again the devil or the lay of the land, or probably both.

PAPA G and Felix's Tattoo like this.
  17. After the blowing and stormy weather all around us and no rain there must have been a lightning strike up high on the mountain to the south of us that has been making some smoke all day. It's high up in a wilderness area and inaccessible so they are monitoring it for now.

PAPA G likes this.
  18. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

What happened to the big fire by Mesa? Did they stop if finally? I’m doing my seasonal bit in Norway, and have heard little news . Except for the 117 degrees in Mesa yesterday.

PAPA G likes this.
  19. Yes it's a hot one here in sunny southern Arizona It's been up to 111° here at my place
    Most all of the big fires are getting under control finally. This one near me happened same place three years ago.

PAPA G likes this.