VZ24 7mm from SOG G grade

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by roggom, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Received my VZ-24 from SOG a couple days ago. I did some research on these Czech BRNO rifles and found they were originally ordered for China but the deal went South and so did the rifles. They were ordered for Brazilian Revolutionaries, but were intercepted by the Brazilian Government and then issues out to Police and other forces.

This was my first purchase of a milsurp other than VG+, so I did not know what to expect. As many have stated online, this one has seen a lot of humidity and moisture, it was very oily and had some rust and pitting under the hand guard and under the receiver. Nothing too bad, but is best to stay in the original stock. It has matching receiver and stock, with the PM serial and an additional serial across the BRNO, that one was kind of a bummer as I paid for hand select (guess the rest will have this as well). The Bolt is bent, flattened and checked with no serial only a F6 and circle Z.

The stock was intact, with minor cracks and some deteriation around the recoil lug and the upper band spring.

One of the locking screws snapped off, as well as the band spring and the follower spring was broken, (cheap replacements available from Numrich).

Well I did a good cleaning with some a green scrubber, 0000, and mineral spirits and it did clean up rather nice considering.

I planned to reload for the 7x57 so I have the dies and casting mold. This was a good foresight, as the barrel was dark, with strong lands, but slugged at 287.

At the range 139gr PRVI was all over the place and had moderate+ recoil. My cast loads were a C285-130-1R dropped .288 unsized and gas checked over 11.3 gr Trail boss and CCI LRP. This was a very pleasant load, 3" group at 50Y and almost no recoil. Will be great for my kids to plink with.

All-in-all not bad.

[​IMG][/url]
    VZBeforeRight by roggom, on Flickr
    [/img]
    [​IMG][/url]
    vz24beforeLeft by roggom, on Flickr
    [/img]
    [​IMG][/url]
    DSC02129 by roggom, on Flickr
    [/img]
    [​IMG][/url]
    DSC02128 by roggom, on Flickr
    [/img]
    [​IMG][/url]
    DSC02127 by roggom, on Flickr
    [/img]
    [​IMG][/url]
    DSC02124 by roggom, on Flickr
    [/img]

[​IMG]
    VZAfterRight by roggom, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

That doesn't seem like a Very Good condition rifle to me, but if you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

3. This one was a good condition, all of my other rifles were VG or higher condition. Almost all of my Mosin Nagants and my Yugo Mauser were cosmo packed and rearsenaled. That why I did not know what to expect.

I will never complain about Cosmo ever again.

4. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Ah, your first purchase other than a VG.

Sorry, didn't read the post carefully enough.