Walnut stock from a blank

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jwrauch, Jul 23, 2020.

1. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

IMG_1496.JPG IMG_1497.JPG I've had this nice piece of California Walnut from the 1950's for around 20 years. Finally decided to try my hand at making a stock from it. used a table saw and a band saw to cut it to this point. It's going to be a long process.

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Can't wait to see how it turns out...

3. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    JR back years ago gunsmiths used to buy those blanks and make their own stocks. Customers had to trust the gunsmiths taste and design. These days you can go on the computer and look at stock suppliers and pick what you like. Those blanks were popular years ago in gun shops and gun shows. Used a band saw and table saw to rough them in. Belt and drum sanders. Then routers to inlet for the action. Plenty of filing and sanding. Then the sealer and stain or finishes. Thing is those blanks were not cheap as I remember. Well I wish you lots of luck and dont rush. That is a tedious project.

Jim Bridger, K75RT, Rocky7 and 5 others like this.
  4. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

When it comes time for the barrel channel, I have a couple of tools you can borrow. Make a note somewhere and let me know a little before you need them and we'll work out shipping/mailing details. You've taken on a time consuming project. I bet she'll be gorgeous when you're finished.

noelekal, K75RT, SUBMOA and 5 others like this.
  5. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

I made a stock for my Remington 700 30/06 when I was in high school for a wood shop project.

It is still on the rifle and still looks awesome!:)

When you are finished it will become one of your most cherished items, both for the memories and the accomplishment.

K75RT, SUBMOA, Jaison and 4 others like this.
  6. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Bet it will look great when done. I can imagine what a piece of Claro for a stock would go for today. I used to take all those nice figured walnuts for granted years back! bit different these days.

Gray Wolf, K75RT, blaster and 4 others like this.
  7. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I’m envious, brother, but in a good way.

What a great journey you’ve started. One shot to make it right.

Please keep us in the loop. What a cool project!

K75RT, SUBMOA, Stickman and 2 others like this.
  8. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Alberta
    Yessir, but it will be an heirloom.

You've heard this before but I'll just chip in another one: Take your time. I mean reallllly take your time. I've made maybe a dozen high quality walnut stocks; busted one when it almost finished. I still feel bad about that one, there was no need for it if I'd just stopped to think things through.

Be sure to post some pics when you're raising the grain. That's when she starts to show herself.

ps: You won't read much about Dremels when it comes to making a gun stock, but they are sure good for when you need to remove wood. Especially the cordless ones. When it gets to the short strokes, you'll use hand tools but the Dremel will get you there if you don't hurry it. That's what I found, anyway.

noelekal, Ranger4, K75RT and 7 others like this.
  9. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

I am already jealous. Might have to tackle something like that myself before I get too old to enjoy it.

jwrauch, K75RT, Rocky7 and 3 others like this.
  10. jwrauch

Just hoping I can do this piece of walnut justice !!

K75RT, Rocky7, chesterwin and 2 others like this.
  11. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Looking good, looking forward to pix as you progress though this project.

jwrauch, K75RT, Rocky7 and 1 other person like this.
  12. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

From your previous works , I would bet you will do well .

K75RT, jwrauch and Rocky7 like this.
  13. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Dye that blue fur back to red and go buy some, nah, forget green bananas, get some banana seeds. You've got lots of time for a project like that.

K75RT, jwrauch, blue fox and 2 others like this.
  14. timv

timv G&G Evangelist

you might want to practice on some scrap wood first, 2x6s

ChaZam, K75RT and jwrauch like this.
  15. jwrauch

IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1505.JPG Got a little inletting done today. It's going to take a while, but I'm happy with what I've done so far. IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1505.JPG

Huey Rider, ChaZam, Dutch and 5 others like this.
  16. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Looking good! Thanks for the play-by-play.

It’s a treat to see this project.

ChaZam, Rocky7 and jwrauch like this.
  17. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Thanks for the update!

ChaZam and Jaison like this.
  18. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Alberta
    Not to stick my nose in, jwrauch, but since this is your first one, I might suggest you get some inletting black from Brownells pretty soon. A soldering paste brush is good for putting it on.

It's messy as hell but make a removable black mark on the wood to tell you where to remove wood next. The other good part is that it doesn't dry up and you can commence tomorrow where you left off. I have taken to wearing disposable gloves (thin latex) to cut down on the hand scrubbing to clean up.

Ranger4, Dutch, jwrauch and 2 others like this.
  19. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Back in the days of my youth I ordered a Blank from Herters. It was nothing more than firewood. I never deceived my self again. The current plastic fiber stocks are ugly answers to wet inaccurate wooden gun stocks.:D

Ranger4, Dutch, jwrauch and 1 other person like this.
  20. jwrauch

I already have some from my previous work on semi -inlets. I need to get some more though.

Rocky7 and ChaZam like this.