close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walther P-1

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by blackbird1100, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Anyone have one of these? I have seen a lot of ads listing them as everything from good to unissued condition at fairly decent prices (as compared to US makes). Any info appreciated.
    Gary Blackhurst

2. Kyrie

Kyrie G&G Newbie

Hi Gary,

These are post war P.38’s, surplused out by the German police and army. Nice pistols - I think I have about four at the moment :)

Warm regards,

Kyrie

3. Jon G.

Jon G. G&G Newbie

I just bought one off of GunBroker.com. Generaly, they all seem to be from $325.00 to $350.00, boxed away for years, with 2 mags and a holster and "the original box". This means probably, like mine, a plain cardboard box, nothing special. The holster will probably be kind of rough, but who knows. I'm no expert, but from what I gleaned, the older models do not have serrations on the back of the slide that extend to the end of the safety lever; those are the newer ones, that also have a strengthened frame. You shoudl make inquiry, as the one I bought was clearly not as new or nice as the one in the picture.

The proof date is stamped on one side of the slide as "9/62", for example, as september of 1962. The serial number is on the frame, and the last three numbers are also on the other side of the slide and the barrel. Ask this information.

4. ALA

ALA G&G Newbie

Hi Gary:

I came across some Magazine articles which said P38 / P-1 was manufactured after the war. Basically same as P38 but with some improvement on safty device & a slightly shorter barrel (something like that). It has aluminium frame with same slide as war time P38. So, the P-1 is much lighter than the steel frame was used. The P-1 is for Police and Military use after the war. However, according to the article, the P-1 has problem after shooting a lot because the use of aluminium frame. So, in P-4 monel (do not know if there was P-3 or not), it use with Steel fram again.

I saw ad from Center Fire last week who has P-1 at below $300.

Good luck and have fun.

AL

5. ALA

ALA G&G Newbie

Hi Kynrie:

I intend to buy a P-38 / P4. What is the correct cal. ammo it should be used. I am not really know much as you do on P-38 Pistol. I know the ammo is 9mm but what kind of 9mm? I saw diffent 9mm ammo, such as 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Kurz. 9x18mm.

Which one is the best / right ammo for this gun.

Also, these ammo come with different Gr. So, which Gr. ammo I should use. fyi, It just for target shooting at ranch.

Any info you would share with me will be appreciated.

ALA

6. I'm ready to buy a P1 myself. Found prices $275 exc.+condition from Empire Arms, $229.95 very good cond. from SOG, & $249.97 exc. to new from Centerfire Systems, all plus shpg, tranfer, etc. Anyone ever order from any of these companies & are they reliable as far as what condition they rate the pistol?

7. Kyrie

Kyrie G&G Newbie

Hi ALA,

The correct ammunition for these surplus P.38/P1’s is 9 mm Luger, also known as 9 mm Parabellum. I’d suggest any high quality US commercial 9 mm Luger ammunition, loaded with FMJ bullets in the range 115 grains to 125 grain.

Hope this helps some.

Best regards,

Kyrie

8. ALA

ALA G&G Newbie

Kyrie:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Ala

9. Hi Gary,
    I have an unissued Bw P1 from 1980. I actually carry it CCW on occaision!!!! :D