Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well decided that I want to get myself a sXs 20 gauge to play around with. It most certainly will be used, and I want to spend under 300 on it.

What would be good ones to look out for? I prefer 1 with a double trigger and preferably a 26" barrel

It would be used as a gun for home protection, and also to shoot clay pigeons with my buddies

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I said it would be a used one.

I know nothing about sXs shotguns and chokes. Are they fixed or are they just like others and can be interchanged?

·
Registered
166 Posts
as far as i know, it just depends on the particular shotgun. a majority of them i have seen will have one barrel usually the right i believe a cylinder bore and the other barrel would have a built in choke... although lots of modern sxs shotguns have removeable chokes

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Under $300 may be a little on the lean side. That's usually in the less than desirable range unless you get lucky from what I've seen.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly no cabelas within a 4 hour drive.

Called the local places that carry stoeger and all wanted 400+ except 1 who had a coach gun for 350. How would that 20" barrel work for informal skeet shooting?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've got a Stoeger Uplander 20 ga, and also an Uplander .410. They are well built, sturdy guns. Both have double triggers, the 20 ga has choke tubes, the .410 is fixed choke.
I use them around the farm for vermin and varmint control (possums, *****, etc). I like the double triggers 'cause I can keep birdshot in one tube and buck shot in the other, in case what ever has the chickens riled up in the middle of the night is bigger than a ****.
I got the 410 on sale for $199, and the 20 ga was somewhere around $329 or so.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Stoger offers the old 1st year production Beretta style "shorty" choke tubes in there hunting models, and finding one with them shouldn't be to hard. even without tubes, there full/mod or mod/improved will handle anything you need, the latter if you plan on shooting steel shot ever. there coach guns come standard with cyl/cyl bores. Stogers have always been reliable, solid, Italian made shotguns. there fit and finish was always a bit rough, but that's improved greatly over the past 12 or so years since Beretta took them under there wing, hence what drove there prices up. you can still find plenty of them at gun shows for between $200-$350 that would be perfect for an entry level shotgun.

Eastern Euro' companies like Ugatcha (think that's how it's spelled....) and Bakail also make some decent SxS's in the $400 and less market in 12, 20 and 28 ga. Ugatcha makes a really impressive shotgun for that money. my friend owns 2 and they point and balance like a $5000 Merkle. the electro pen engraving and cheap walnut stocks are a bit rough, and the double triggers a tad "rattely", but we're talking function not form here!

if your set on double triggers, you might want to try shouldering a few 1st with "upland" or English style stocks. they were designed before the need of a pistol grip styled stock, and are meant for better purchase of double triggers. your going to be tempted to place a finger on each of those triggers when shooting, and with your bottom 2 fingers wrapped around a pistol grip, can lead to a recoil induced double fire. while it won't hurt your shotgun, it can ring your bell, and leave you unexpectedly with an empty weapon!

make sure to practice and shoot with your trigger finger only, no matter witch stock feels better to you. it can take some time to learn, but it's not rocket science! it's also handy to remember witch barrel is your tighter choke as well. traditionally your right barrel will be choked more open then the left (voided in the case of using tubes!) and be set to the 1st trigger. naturally flushed birds or game will start off close, and get farther, but that doesn't always happen in real life or when ducks are involved! if your left handed, you might also prefer to have the inside (left) barrel house your 1st shot, and work your triggers from back to front.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Actually, both my Stoeger Uplanders were made in Brazil. And they are only three years or so old. Don't know where they're made today, though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sadly no cabelas within a 4 hour drive.

Called the local places that carry stoeger and all wanted 400+ except 1 who had a coach gun for 350. How would that 20" barrel work for informal skeet shooting?
me and my buddy have dont some impromptu skeet shooting with my winchester defender and his maverick 88 with 18" barrels, smooth bore.. and it works.. just not a rediculously long shot.. gotta hit that clay before it gets away from you.... 20" would probably help a little.. did that model have built in or screw in chokes? but with the 20" youd be far better off for home defence IMO.. 26" of barrel is alot to be swingin around and being a sxs.. its gonna be heavy aswell

·
Registered
552 Posts
Actually, both my Stoeger Uplanders were made in Brazil. And they are only three years or so old. Don't know where they're made today, though.

my bad....morning 'lifer juice hadn't soaked into the grey matter yet and i was thinking Beretta! lol! Stoeger has imported all there different model SxS's from a production plant formerly owned by Rossi (A.R Amitino) in Brazil since 1996, and continues to. lately one in Turkey for there M1 super 90, Franchi and and A303 clones, and another in Eibar Spain formerly owned by Starr to keep up with all the new models since 2002. there are still SxS's and O/U's assembled and fitted at the Stoeger headquarters plant in Italy, but mostly there single trigger sporting guns, and Nova pattern pumps, as well as the Cougar pattern handguns.

Stoeger hasn't ever really been a producer of anything, just an importer with many companies under it's belt. while that they are for once producing a few models at the world headquarters, it's all still under the Berretta umbrella, and remains the importer they bought for. they were actually founded in NY city in 1923 by Austrian immigrant Alexander F. Stoeger, he put up a shingle declaring himself 'sole' authorized importer for the United States and Canada for Luger and Mauser firearms, and while they've been in and out of favor since, Beretta has really turned them around with much higher quality controll standards

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well the skeet shooting would be about as far as we can throw them by hand, so that's not terrible far lol if we feel real adventurous we might buy one of those hand launchers, but idk yet.

I did hold both a stoeger uplander and coach gun today. Like the uplander a little more, little nicer, but that's also because it was the supreme model. Wanted $450 for it and $350 for the coach gun.

On another note I found a local store that has what the owner thought was a 1948 stevens 311 12 gauge. Make is correct but he wasn't positive on the date. Wanted $275

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,388 Posts
My wife bought me a Stevens 311 for about that money (used) Nice gun I like it alot. I load 3/4 oz loads for it and do fine on hand thrown trap, bunnies, etc. It has extractors, not ejectors. I actually like that as I reload the MT's

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well the skeet shooting would be about as far as we can throw them by hand, so that's not terrible far lol if we feel real adventurous we might buy one of those hand launchers, but idk yet.

I did hold both a stoeger uplander and coach gun today. Like the uplander a little more, little nicer, but that's also because it was the supreme model. Wanted $450 for it and $350 for the coach gun.

On another note I found a local store that has what the owner thought was a 1948 stevens 311 12 gauge. Make is correct but he wasn't positive on the date. Wanted $275
your in luck.. haha all our skeet shooting was hand thrown/trick shots or with one of the orange hand launchers they sell at walmart. no trouble at all taking them with a 20" or shorter barrel aslong as you do your part. if you havent done it before its addictive...

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
If you didn't mind an O/U Maverick makes one that should sell new under $400. But if I were shooting much clays I would like to have either a Steven 612 or even better a CZ Bobwhite both in SxS in 12 ga( about double your price target though).Some of the old 311's can be really nice shooters if they're tight.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I might go look at the stevens 311 tomorrow just to see what kind of shape its in, and if its good MIGHT pick it up as just sorta a neat old gun, simply because of the price.

Only thing I DIDN'T like about the uplander supreme today was the chokes. They stuck out like an inch or 2 past the end of the barrel and took away from the classic look. I look on stoegers website and of pictures online and NONE of them have the goofy looking chokes that stick out?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well went and got a stoeger today. My favorite gunshop is only open wednesday through saturday, so I had to wait till today to see what they had.

Had a used, 26" 20ga uplander, blue, for 200. It looks like its never even been shot. In fact I just got done cleaning all the cosmoline off of it.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
My wife bought me a Stevens 311 for about that money (used) Nice gun I like it alot. I load 3/4 oz loads for it and do fine on hand thrown trap, bunnies, etc. It has extractors, not ejectors. I actually like that as I reload the MT's
I was also going to recommend the Stevens 311. Nice litle gun. I just sold one, my f-i-l, to a buddy for exactly $300.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts