Wards Western

Discussion in 'Antique Firearms' started by Bish.41MAG, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Bish.41MAG

Bish.41MAG G&G Regular

Grandpa Surprised me with a hand-me down rifle this year for Christmas. Its a wards western field model 33 .22 LR pump. The gun doesn't have any serial numbers on it and my Grandpa couldn't even really ball park a year on it. Friends come over my place and its a good conversation piece, but I know nothing about this gun, so conversation dies quickly. Can't find much on google search either.

I know its not the most expensive gun or the biggest antique or collectors edition, but its keepsake that I want to know more about. I also don't think its too old because it has a plastic stock and forearm.

Anyone know about this firearm?

2. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

I don't have any accurate info for you, but RFC has more rimfire smarts than any online source I know of.... if it has a serial number, it's likely to be below the front end of the receiver. Good luck

RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

3. chesterwin

chesterwin Moderator Staff Member

4. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Evangelist

Western Field Firearms are kind of hard to pin down, you see they are a Montgomery Ward store brand gun & they were made by everybody from Savage, Marlin, Noble, Kessler, heck even Mauser even made a few, but most were built by Mossberg. If your Granddad gave it to you, keep it & pass it down to your son or grandson..........Here is a model 32 I picked up the other day.

Attached Files:

5. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

sounds like the stock is tennite? can you post a photo? it may have been made by noble, possibly a model 235....
    .... (numrich store brand crossover numbers make it a marlin 336, which is obviously incorrect)....

6. chesterwin

I came up with a 336 marlin and a pump shotgun in the initial search process too. Not to mention someone has information out there that incorrectly identifies it as a savage model 29.

7. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

a real conglomeration, i agree..... i suspect photos of Bish.41MAG's rifle might be helpful.... ( psst, hint hint)....

8. Bish.41MAG

Bish.41MAG G&G Regular

Thanks guys, my grandpa told me the same thing that Wards westerns were hard to track down so he gave up in his search. I posted this morning and wanted to add pictures but ran out of time before I had to go to work. Took a few now but they are all via cell phone so they're not the best of quality but I hope they help, so in return you can help me.

Attached Files:

jwrauch likes this.
  9. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Evangelist

Them are decent pictures, looks like a 33 & a nice one at that, hang on to it.........WE EXPECT A RANGE REPORT.

10. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

so chesterwin, a noble 235?.... not a plastic stock but tenite? i'm now out of my comfort zone.....

11. chesterwin

I couldn't find one with more modern furniture. Feel free to do better.

12. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Evangelist

13. Bish.41MAG

Bish.41MAG G&G Regular

It is in decent shape, the sights are a little banged up and it has one hairline crack in the stock but its all character in my opinion. Its actually in a display case that Pap got made for it, so yeah I'll have it until I become a grandpa myself. So is it made by Noble for sure? can anyone ball park a production year?

14. Bish.41MAG

Bish.41MAG G&G Regular

Been able to do some more tracking down. It is manufactured by Noble and Noble also considers it model 33 (which makes sense). It does in fact have a tenite stock. Production years are from late 1940's to early 1950's. Without a serial number I can't hit an exact date.

The model 235 is wood stock and a bit of a later production year, but a very similar rifle.

Thanks all.

15. RainStorm

RainStorm G&G Newbie

I have the same rifle, bought it for $100.00. Doing research now, found one that sold at auction for almost $600.00.. Mine is very dirty and I am hooking up with my uncle very soon to be shown the proper way of cleaning it. We did fire it and I must say "what a fun lil rifle"

16. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory

RainStorm,

Welcome to G&G from Alaska.
    Stop on in the Introduction thread, and say "Hello" to the other members.
    We have lot's of Okies in here. :)

https://www.gunandgame.com/forums/introduction.175/

17. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Nice rifle. My youngest son has a Western Field 22 LR magazine fed bolt action that's very similar to a Mossberg model 44 (I think). I mounted a scope on it and it's a tack driver. Those old Wards guns are great values when you can find them' JR

Big Dog likes this.
  18. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The 'store brand' guns generally command firesale prices compared to the big name guns that are identical. Savvy collectors are becoming interested in them though, as they are great deals. Especially Mossberg collectors.

jwrauch likes this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted