WASR-10 Normal Wear and Tear?

Discussion in 'AK47' started by AndrewA74, Sep 22, 2010.

1. AndrewA74

AndrewA74 G&G Addict

Okay, we have a new item in the family, a Century WASR-10 / 63 imported just last year. It's one of the newer ones made from demilled Romanian Semi-Auto AK's. Anyways, I was cleaning it last night for the second time (I cleaned it right after I got it). Well it's only been 30 rounds put into it and the first time I chambered a round the bolt got stuck and I had to pull it back with a broomhandle. Luckily I got the round and bolt out with no harm to ethier. Okay, moving on. The gas piston was pretty dirty and I put rem-oil on it and got most of the black off and it looks like on the back part of the piston (Not the chrome part, the blued part) some of the bluing has rubbed away as if by contact. Is this normal wear and tear? Or am I doing something wrong? There's no other parts of the gun showing wear and tear like this and it's got me worried. Thanks!
    Andrew

2. OldMike1030

OldMike1030 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Mine is worn a bit too. It's worn mostly on the forward top of the black, about half way between the cocking handle and where the gas piston threads on. I watched it with the cover plate off and noticed that as the bolt carrier passed over the hammer on the closing stoke the bolt carrier lifted a bit and rubbed under the rear sight (that was while manually pulling the bolt, I suppose it would rub in both directions while firing). there just seems to be a bit of play in the grooves on the bolt carrier and the rails (bent top edge) of the receiver. I've fired about 500 rds since I got it and it seems to work fine. But, when I clean it, I do put a small bit of gun grease on the worn area. I don't know enough to say if it's normal, but it doesn't seem to have any negative effects on performance.

3. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

It's normal far as I know. Every one I've seen has that wear. It won't wear all that much though. Just enough to take the finish off.

4. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Enthusiast

Occasionally you can put the gas tube on improperly and it will cause less than fluid movement.

FYI - to clean the end of the gas piston use Hoppe's #9 and a green kitchen scratch pad, comes right off.

5. AndrewA74

AndrewA74 G&G Addict

I know that Hoppe's #9 can take the chrome out of the barrel if it says "Removes Metal Fouling" which ours does. So I won't be using that haha. Also, when I clean my AK should I use brush first or lubricate first (down the barrel)?
    Andrew

6. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Take the chrome out your barrel? What??? Says who?

7. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

That's a new one on me too!

8. Pothole

Pothole G&G Regular

I dont think #9 will do that, hasn't on any of my guns anyway

and lucky for you he was talking about the piston in the gas tube ( the other tube above the barrel)

9. AndrewA74

AndrewA74 G&G Addict

A friend of mine who's been a gun collector for 40+ years told me. He's actually the one I phoned when the round got stuck in the chamber.
    Andrew

10. Kyl63

Kyl63 G&G Newbie

I've never had Hoppe's pull any chrome off. Finish, sure, but chrome? Never. I've been using that stuff since I was still running around in diapers, and I've never seen it pull chrome off. If all else fails, CLP is a good, cheap alternative, though it will require a lot more elbow grease.