Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Dude, there is waaaay too much reality in this right now.

This may sound like BS, because I never would have believed it until I was here myself, but a lot of people are moving to flintlocks, crossbows, and high-powered air guns all of a sudden.

We have sold record numbers of flintlocks since the panic began. At first I just thought it was because people were stuck at home, and internet shopping passed the time. Pretty much every online seller of any product had a boost, so I figured that was all.

Then we started getting calls. People are actually planning to have to use these in an EOTW situation. Ammo is hard to get, primers for BP guns are running out everywhere - with no new production on the horizon until the ammo panic calms down, there is no background check or paper trail for these, the Democrats aren't likely to go after them, and people are buying them at record numbers.

Worst comes to worst they reckon they could make powder, and flint, agate, pyrite and a lot of other things can be used for a spark in a pinch. The Confederates had to use clay for round balls by the end, so lead isn't even a necessity.

Not that long ago people were giving me crap for planning around a Lee-Enfield, and now people are seriously planning to jump back even farther technologically.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,399 Posts

This may sound like BS, because I never would have believed it until I was here myself, but a lot of people are moving to flintlocks, crossbows, and high-powered air guns all of a sudden.

We have sold record numbers of flintlocks since the panic began. At first I just thought it was because people were stuck at home, and internet shopping passed the time. Pretty much every online seller of any product had a boost, so I figured that was all.

Then we started getting calls. People are actually planning to have to use these in an EOTW situation. Ammo is hard to get, primers for BP guns are running out everywhere - with no new production on the horizon until the ammo panic calms down, there is no background check or paper trail for these, the Democrats aren't likely to go after them, and people are buying them at record numbers.

Worst comes to worst they reckon they could make powder, and flint, agate, pyrite and a lot of other things can be used for a spark in a pinch. The Confederates had to use clay for round balls by the end, so lead isn't even a necessity.

Not that long ago people were giving me crap for planning around a Lee-Enfield, and now people are seriously planning to jump back even farther technologically.
I think flintlocks are pretty cool. At least when taken on their own and fun to shoot.

BUT

A small subset of the ammo most of us have would represent months or years of assembling components for such devices if you had to start from scratch.

Has anyone here actually manufactured black powder ? I don't think it'd be that hard given the basic elementals of carbon, potassium nitrate, and sulfur. But has anyone actually done it and fueled a rifle or pistol with it ? How'd it work ? And the situation strikes me as a bit absurd in that if you're the kind of guy or gal who didn't see this whole thing coming, I REALLY doubt your life is going to go well trying to make improvised explosives.

If you're the guy who got caught flatfooted and IN this situation to begin with, your situational awareness isn't very good. So I'm thinking there's a degree of self-selection that would preclude someone FROM having an epiphany of brilliance after a lifetime of buffoonery. It's not like people haven't been sounding the alarm for well over a decade. So someone who got caught out was probably someone ignoring the warnings from folks who'd been there or seen it before. And are probably STILL ignoring the warnings of the developing communism. PERHAPS it's the 'mugged liberal' having a change of heart--and that's great and we should be welcoming--BUT these folks are ALSO responsible for getting us into the situation we're now in.

(we usually use the same concept for risk mitigation from a stuffed up approach. While our complex autopilots DO malfunction from time to time (or at least do things you don't want them to do), and a skillful operator simply disconnects and flies the airplane manually, that's not what I'm talking about. It's the case where someone buffoons up the approach to begin with on the automatics; when you do this it's VERY unlikely that you're going to have a flash of brilliance at the last minute with some fancy footwork while unstable and close to the ground to manually take things over and recover safely to a landing BECAUSE you screwed them up in the first place. So it's better to go around and try again.)

Same thing for folks newly trying their hand at canning or baking bread. While these are good basic skills to have in the first place, when you jump into things out of panic and fear you're probably the kinda guy or gal who might not be real adept at doing them and might wanna ease into the situation.

I think the lack of a 'paper trail' -- while perhaps being comforting to some -- isn't as big of a deal as alot of folks make of it (and is largely overstated). If they're trying a gun grab it's well past time to be using them and fighting. While it might be NICE to have things off the books (and is the constitutionally 'right' thing to do), when communists start grabbing folks it's not just guns they're coming for (we're seeing this with the censorship and cancel culture right now). They're coming for the spirit of the person--not so much the tool. So anyone who's not buying into the party line and IS fighting for constitutionality, freedom, or liberty is gonna get pegged. The firearms are simply the last tool in the line of defense, and a decent barometer that when they grab them everything ELSE quickly follows. It's right to have them--and have them where they'll be difficult to grab--but they're only a part of a much larger picture.

·
<------------<<<-
3,919 Posts

That’s crazy 😂

·
Registered
19,873 Posts
Has anyone here actually manufactured black powder ? I don't think it'd be that hard given the basic elementals of carbon, potassium nitrate, and sulfur. But has anyone actually done it and fueled a rifle or pistol with it ? How'd it work ? And the situation strikes me as a bit absurd in that if you're the kind of guy or gal who didn't see this whole thing coming, I REALLY doubt your life is going to go well trying to make improvised explosives.
I played around with it years ago to see what does and doesn't work in a BP gun since we specialize in historic weapons. I won't go into specifics because the Feds frown on people sharing specific information.

There is a formula for doing it "right," but there is actually an ancient Chinese proverb, "three simple ingredients in perfect proportion for best results, in truth perfect proportions are not necessary for effect, nor necessarily the ingredients to achieve A result". The Chinese had hundreds of recipes for powder using onions, garlic, beans, egg yolks, birthwart, urine, various types of manure, limestone, magnesium, swamp mud, volcanic rock, runoff from hot springs, rotten pulp wood from a certain type of tree, and all sorts of other weird ingredients - and all of them supposedly worked just fine.

I've personally only made BP, yellow powder and brown powder.

Brown powder can basically be made out of the crap you find in a swamp or on the farm. You can pretty much do away with sulfur for brown powder, and, grass and hay works for the char - preferably a slightly waxy grass. It has a lower burn rate, so it works well in rifles, but 30 grains in an 1858 revolver yielded roughly the same performance as 18 grains of BP. On the plus side, it cleans up easier than BP, and isn't corrosive.

There is also a powder that was sometimes used in the rural South historically, Yellow powder. It's made with pyrite, the white scale off of dried cow manure and charred privet. There was also a version that substituted certain wild plants for pyrite. This stuff smells like an open septic tank, makes a huge cloud of yellowish smoke, and might be toxic to breathe (there is iron dust in it, if nothing else), but it works OK in a rifle. It does not work well in a revolver. I will say that pyrite must have been a lot more common 170 years ago around here than it is today. Back then people had enough to use it instead of flint in their locks, AND to make powder from. The amount I found only yielded me two rifle shots and one chamberful in a revolver. There doesn't seem to be any info on how much of the plants you need, or what you need to extract from them for a substitute for pyrite.

I've made BP from the raw ingredients, made it from bought ingredients, and made it from a fairly common outdoor product (by far the easiest - though least precise way), and tried dry and wet methods, and different kerneling methods. All worked OK - ranging from "I think my Pyrodex might be going bad" to "who sprang for the fancy Swiss powder." The brown powder is easier, and while the velocities are a little lower, it works fine. The yellow powder is higher velocity, but it is a pain to make in any quantity, very filthy and corrosive, and if you had to use it for hunting you'd stink out every creature in the forest.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
In this age of ever restrictive nanny state disarming the good people and holding up the bad people.
As one of the soon to be disarmed.

All I can say is my weapon of choice will be my mind.
The only thing that Big Brother cant regulate . . . . . Yet?:unsure:

·
Registered
437 Posts
In this age of ever restrictive nanny state disarming the good people and holding up the bad people.
As one of the soon to be disarmed.

All I can say is my weapon of choice will be my mind.
The only thing that Big Brother cant regulate . . . . . Yet?:unsure:
Rex the Democrats are Big Brother they invented the thought police also they can take your mind also put you in jail for your thoughts take your liberty when it comes to that the worst thing is for good men to stand by and do nothing evil will win every time if WE THE PEOPLE JUST STAND BY AND LET IT HAPPEN. The American Gun owners are the largest standing army in the world all they have do is get organized and they will win the Victory without a single shot fired they just need show up in a show of force in sheer numbers and the Nanny State will fall and be destroyed. If they show force deadly force reply with the same deadly force its all about liberty and defending the Republic's Constitution against all enemies Foreign & Domestic .Their plan is to use corrupt Lawyers & Judges to change & eliminate the constitution to force their evil will on the People ! Time Has come for WE THE PEOPLE to stand our ground.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Weapon of choice?

For what exactly?

This thread is all over the place.

Barring having to bug out and play Benjamin Martin one of my 12ga pump shotguns will work.
If I need more there's my AR pistol or rifles.

L

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
I think flintlocks are pretty cool. At least when taken on their own and fun to shoot.

BUT

A small subset of the ammo most of us have would represent months or years of assembling components for such devices if you had to start from scratch.

If you're the guy who got caught flatfooted and IN this situation to begin with, your situational awareness isn't very good. So I'm thinking there's a degree of self-selection that would preclude someone FROM having an epiphany of brilliance after a lifetime of buffoonery. It's not like people haven't been sounding the alarm for well over a decade. So someone who got caught out was probably someone ignoring the warnings from folks who'd been there or seen it before. And are probably STILL ignoring the warnings of the developing communism. PERHAPS it's the 'mugged liberal' having a change of heart--and that's great and we should be welcoming--BUT these folks are ALSO responsible for getting us into the situation we're now in.

(we usually use the same concept for risk mitigation from a stuffed up approach. While our complex autopilots DO malfunction from time to time (or at least do things you don't want them to do), and a skillful operator simply disconnects and flies the airplane manually, that's not what I'm talking about. It's the case where someone buffoons up the approach to begin with on the automatics; when you do this it's VERY unlikely that you're going to have a flash of brilliance at the last minute with some fancy footwork while unstable and close to the ground to manually take things over and recover safely to a landing BECAUSE you screwed them up in the first place. So it's better to go around and try again.)

Same thing for folks newly trying their hand at canning or baking bread. While these are good basic skills to have in the first place, when you jump into things out of panic and fear you're probably the kinda guy or gal who might not be real adept at doing them and might wanna ease into the situation.

I think the lack of a 'paper trail' -- while perhaps being comforting to some -- isn't as big of a deal as alot of folks make of it (and is largely overstated). If they're trying a gun grab it's well past time to be using them and fighting. While it might be NICE to have things off the books (and is the constitutionally 'right' thing to do), when communists start grabbing folks it's not just guns they're coming for (we're seeing this with the censorship and cancel culture right now). They're coming for the spirit of the person--not so much the tool. So anyone who's not buying into the party line and IS fighting for constitutionality, freedom, or liberty is gonna get pegged. The firearms are simply the last tool in the line of defense, and a decent barometer that when they grab them everything ELSE quickly follows. It's right to have them--and have them where they'll be difficult to grab--but they're only a part of a much larger picture.
Well TX, you called it pretty plainly and simply. Those who now panic because they have no ammo helps explain how this totally anti gun administration was elected in the first place.So many people just plain didn't get it, or believe what was laid out right in front of them. Some actually voted in the anti gun duo we are now blessed with, and some just plain didn't take the threat seriously. Now we start to pay the price for irresponsible and / or derelict voting and non voting. The OB years should have educated most to the seriousness of the risk of not tending to one's needs ahead of time. I don't know how it could have been spelled out to them any plainer or simpler? Nothing good will come for the second amendment with this foolish, foolish,mistakes just made voting in this anti gun administration.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
With the growing anarchist groups in the U.S. wanting to attack homes and businesses , what is your weapon of choice for defending your Alamo ? One of my neighbors recently had a group looking for his group " but they failed to find his retreat " carrying a flame thrower . My group have on occasion recently had to arm ourselves and conduct night time guard patrol . Folks this is serious . Likely a civil war will break out this November . Now shooting at paper targets is basically over and we are entering the blood flowing stage . Again what is your weapon of choice for a night time firefight and what weapon for a daytime firefight .
I have AR15's, and SKS', and thousands of rounds of ammo.

Reactions: neophyte
41 - 49 of 49 Posts