Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering why I never see any threads on Weatherby rifles here.

Back in the sixties Weatherby rifles were much-admired and lusted after by hunters and collectors.

They have a web site so they must still be in business.

I'd love to have a Weatherby .22 some day. It's just a lottery ticket away.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am not sure why. The Vanguard is one of the best values for the money, and the stocks on the mark V's are a work of art. Some of their models may be too expensive for a lot of people to buy.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
A Mk5 is a Weatherby.The vanguard,while being a decent rifle,is not a Weatherby in any way but name.Weatherby purachased the rights from S&W to mfg. the japanese rifle.Even the cheapys in Weatherby are about 3 times as high as a Vanguard.Before someone gets mad at me,the vanguard is a fine rifle with minute of angle accuracy guarantee,it just isnt a Weatherby. sam.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the Vanguards still have Weatherby barrels which are installed and tuned by Weatherby. So they are true Weatherbies, at least in part.

I have a Howa, which is the Japanese action on which the Vanguards are built. I got it because of the cartridge, 6.5x55 Swede, in its most affordable non-military rifle. Time will tell if its accuracy is on a par with the Weatherbies.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Samuel, a Weatherby Vanguard is just as much a Weatherby as a Weatherby Mark 5. Weatherby does not build rifles, but rather shops the work out.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Samuel, a Weatherby Vanguard is just as much a Weatherby as a Weatherby Mark 5. Weatherby does not build rifles, but rather shops the work out.
Weatherby:Current trademark manufactured and imported by Weathrtby located in Atascadero,Cal. since 1995.Previously located in South Gate,Cal.,1945-1995. Weatherby began manufacturing rifles in the U.S. in early 1995. Before that they manufactured them in Germany and Italy. In the sense that the Vanguard carrys the Weatherby guarantee they are both weatherby,s but a mark5 is just a lot more gun.Of course the price is a lot more too_Owning both,I look at them and there is no comparison.I own 3 Mk5,s,1 Accumark,and 1 Classicmark.And one nice to shoot but not as pretty Vanguard. sam.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Weatherby:Current trademark manufactured and imported by Weathrtby located in Atascadero,Cal. since 1995.Previously located in South Gate,Cal.,1945-1995. Weatherby began manufacturing rifles in the U.S. in early 1995. Before that they manufactured them in Germany and Italy. In the sense that the Vanguard carrys the Weatherby guarantee they are both weatherby,s but a mark5 is just a lot more gun.Of course the price is a lot more too_Owning both,I look at them and there is no comparison.I own 3 Mk5,s,1 Accumark,and 1 Classicmark.And one nice to shoot but not as pretty Vanguard. sam.
Sorry Samuel, but Weatherby does not manufacture rifles. The Mark 5's were first manufactured in Belgium by FN (I believe), then in West Germany, then until 1995 they were manufactured in Japan (not sure of the company). Since 1995 they have been manufactured in the USA, but not by Weatherby, but rather ATEK in Minnesota. The Vanguards are assembled in the USA by Weatherby, and maybe the Mark 5's are also, but Weatherby does not and never did manufacture its rifles.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Owning both, I can say that the Mark V is a better gun, but it should be, considering the cost difference. In the end, I feel a little more comfortable beating on my Vanguard, simply because it costs less. Both are accurate guns, and I have had zero problems with either.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
While the Weatherby Mark V is no doubt a nice rifle (I owned one for a brief period of time) I don't feel that I need to make a fashion statement in the middle of the woods.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Sorry Samuel, but Weatherby does not manufacture rifles. The Mark 5's were first manufactured in Belgium by FN (I believe), then in West Germany, then until 1995 they were manufactured in Japan (not sure of the company). Since 1995 they have been manufactured in the USA, but not by Weatherby, but rather ATEK in Minnesota. The Vanguards are assembled in the USA by Weatherby, and maybe the Mark 5's are also, but Weatherby does not and never did manufacture its rifles.
I coppied that from the blue book of gun values.Maybe you know something they dont.If you do I am sure they would appreciate you contacting them and letting them in on your vast knowledge of Weatherby firearms.I am sure they dont want to be wrong so just let them know the facts you have.In fact would you let me know the facts as all you put down was your statement.I really dont care but please look my reference up. sam.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I've read that the barrel is Weatherby on the Howa action. To me what makes something a Weatherby isn't where it's made but where its design and service come from. So if the Weatherby company designs a rifle I'd call it a Weatherby. If the company buys an existing rifle and completes it and puts their name on it, I'd call it adopted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Weatherby is in Atescadero, Ca but as others have stated they designed it and sell the Mark V and Vangards but Atek in Brainerd Minnesota assemble the Mark V rifles. Atek does not actually make the gun parts. Atek assembles and tests the rifles. Many of the internal working parts are made in Jenkins Minnesota by a machine shop where I work as the quality director. We are a job shop and make precision parts for many types of industries. We make parts to customer prints from Industrial, Aerospace, Gun industry, medical, and a miriad of other industries. The Receivers, trigger housing, trigger guard, cocking piece, Reciever, sleeve, and etc being some of the parts we make for the Weatherby Rifle.
I just bought Mark V .243 and I love it. It handles nice with no recoil. Its accuracy out of the box was unbelieveable. We are not the only job shop making parts for the Weatherby Rifles. Atek and Weatherby are real strict on the quality of their gun parts and they are fully aware of the inspection data, material, and other processes used to produce the parts that go into their guns.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here you go Samuel. This is from Wikepedia, but I remember reading years ago that Weatherby never did manufacture rifles, but had others build them for the company.

Rifles
The original rifles by Roy Weatherby were originally built on FN Mauser actions, or other actions deemed strong enough, though it was primarily the FN. The first Weatherby Mark V rifles were manufactured in West Germany. Material and labour costs eventually led production to Japan, where some say the machining was actually better. In 1995 Manufacturing was moved back to the United States, where they have been manufactured under contract by both Saco Defense and Acrometal/ATEK.[citation needed]
The design of the Weatherby Mark V rifle is said by many experts to be the most widely mimicked in the world. Weatherby rifles are some of the only rifles in the world to guarantee sub-MOA accuracy from a cold barrel. While generally contended to be of higher quality than Remington or Winchester rifles, Weatherby rifles are consequently considerably more expensive in terms of both the rifle and ammunition.
Weatherby currently offers two lines of rifles: the Mark V and the Vanguard. The Mark V is manufacted by ATEK in Brainard, MN while the barrel and action for the vanguard are manufactured by Howa in Japan. Final assembly of the Vanguard is performed at Weatherby's company headquarters in Paso Robles, CA. The Mark V sports Weatherby's 9-lug bolt, which is reportedly the strongest bolt action available. Both the Mark V and Vanguard are available as sub-MOA rifles in various models (ranging from blued to stainless steel metal and kevlar to wood stocks) and calibers .223 through .300 Weatherby Magnum. Calibers .340 through .460 are only available on the Mark V platform due to the stronger bolt.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I believe that pretty well verifys what I copied and said. When it comes down to it Ford and G.M. dont make their parts persea but they do manufacture automobilles,even the ones made overseas. sam.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I believe that pretty well verifys what I copied and said. When it comes down to it Ford and G.M. dont make their parts persea but they do manufacture automobilles,even the ones made overseas. sam.
Wasn't trying to start a fight, but what you said was that the Vanguard was not a "real" Weatherby, while the Mark V was. The above clearly shows that both are built for Weatherby by someone else.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Wasn't trying to start a fight, but what you said was that the Vanguard was not a "real" Weatherby, while the Mark V was. The above clearly shows that both are built for Weatherby by someone else.
I would rather say after all the info is in that both are manufactured under Weatherby,s strict control.The thing of it is I look at my one vanguard and it just isnt as appealing as the others.But it shoots just as well if not better.By the way SueMe,That was wonderful info you gave us.I think it is much better than either of ours.Thank you. sam.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would rather say after all the info is in that both are manufactured under Weatherby,s strict control.The thing of it is I look at my one vanguard and it just isnt as appealing as the others.But it shoots just as well if not better. sam.
I think we are in agreement. :burnout:

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I think we are in agreement. :burnout:
The main reason I never really considered the Vanguard a Weatherby was Howa started their Co.in ,67 and virtually sold to any importer and S&W had rifles built there and sold out to Mossburg and then they sold to Weatherby (as far as I know) bought them and on and on. The Mk5 on the Mauser sporter action just seemed to be the genuine thing and the Howa was something engineered by several others.It,s just a personal way I look at it. sam.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts