Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few from time to time and have at times seriously considered them. I thought I had that base covered with my Savage 111G in 300 RUM, but due to high case volumes of powder, high price of brass, and feeding difficulty with the fat case, I'm thinking it should go into a Choate Varmint stock and be given target duty, while I get a round shouldered smooth action Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Wby Mag, whose ammo costs less, whose brass is more common, and whose only disadvantages are being more rarely chambered and having lower inherent accuracy than the RUM due to belted case and round shoulder.

So what would you guys say about the Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Wby Mag? I see them at Wally World with black finish in synthetic stock for $380ish. I saw one brand new at the Gun Show in stainless steel with a very comfortable wood stock for $400. I'm thinking I should have jumped on that one, but I hope they're still available. Many guns will come first on the want list but I'm considering this one, so what say ye owners?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got one of those Wal-Mart Weatherby Vanguards, black plastic, in .300 Weatherby. Had it for about 5 1/2 years. It's a fine shooter right out of the box, capable of sub-1" groups with every load I've tried and both Remington and Weatherby factory ammo. In fact, the factory target with it had two holes centered .8" apart. Had to squint at it really hard to tell that one of the holes was a twofer. Just barely ovalized.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I handles the most comfortable stainless Weatherby Vanguard with a wooden stock a few years ago at a gun show. Should have bought it, it was NIB and $400. Never found another like it since, don't know why.

What's great about the Vanguards is they're a simple two lugged budget gun but come with a big name accuracy guarantee.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts