Gun and Game Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father Loves WWII history and has recently taken an interest in owning an M1 Garand. Although, rather than having a pristine weapon as most people do, he want's one with "Lots of character". I have looked at getting a CMP gun however most seem to have been loaned out to other nations and not used by the US during the war. I am looking for an M1 that has either seen actual combat or one that was "Over there". I think he would like to fire several rounds through the rifle to see what it's like but nothing more so the condition of the bore is not that critical. Thanks guys!:usa:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would check www.auctionarms.com and www.gunbroker.com there are occasionally WWII garands show up there. But there don't seem to be any good deals there. I purcheased a gun from the CMP it was a H&R greek issue I mainly got it for shooting. The guy there said that occasionally they get matching barrel and receiver guns from WWII but said that they go quick. Also they send most of the guns they get there were only used for training. Probably the best way to get one is watch for auctions in your area that have one.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I bought a beat up M1 at a gun show with a pitted barrel. It fired an eight shot 5" group at 100 yards even in that condition. The South Korean's ended up with it in their arsenal. Based on the serial number it was manufactured Feb 1942. I never bothered to check further into where or what it did. As far as I'm concerned it was born right after Pearl Harbor, made its way across the Pacific (maybe saw combat), eventually ended up with the South Korean's (maybe fought in the Korean War).
Whatever you get him I'd talk your dad into trying his M1 out in a DCM/CMP competition in his area. That would add to the flavor and gets the old heart pumping; guys on both sides of you blasting with their M1's, the smell of gun powder in the air, the burning sensation of hot brass in the small of your back ejected from the guy on your left, recovering from a jam and still getting 10 shots in under 70 seconds...yaaa that would add to the thrill of owning an
M1. He's going to love it!!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Alot of wrong info on CMP guys. All of their rifles were issued to the US military. Some of them where loaned to the Danish to use after the US was done with them. They do have some rifles that were never loaned to other countries. There are not alot of original barrels on the WW11 recievers as they got wore out and were replaced along with the other worn out parts. It is very easy to get a rifle that has a WW11 reciver. As far as those rifles only being used for training that would be the HR and IHC rifles only which are post war.
If you don't know what you are looking for I highly recommend against buying from a gun show or private owner as there are alot of fake parts installed on rifles and sold as originals. You will pay much more at a gun show than at CMP and it is very good chances that the rifle you are buying came from CMP anyway. Just my 2 cents guys. Good luck

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Well as far as Danes taking care of the rifles I'm not so sure. Most of the stocks look like they used them for baseball bats. Their VAR barrels are known for accuracy, they are some of my best shooters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an M1 garand for sale. It was manufactured in 1942. The guy that sold it to me kept it in awesome shape. He only fired it 15 times in 24 years, and that was only right after he got it. He is a friend of the family, so I trust him. I don't really know how to check and see where it was and when, but I do know that it was used by the USMC. Are you interested, and if so, where do you live?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Winchester thats been around the block a couple times,a good shooter,has lots of character,looks like it knows it's way around.Asking $800.00 ,send me your questions. I'm in michigan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.