weight differences!

Discussion in 'AR15' started by DaTeacha, Aug 14, 2010.

1. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I went to a show today. While there, I found one of the new Remington AR style rifles, complete with camo finish, scope, light, and laser. I hefted it, found it to feel like a serious rifle. Right next to it on the rack was a carbon fiber AR in desert tan with no optics. Hefting that one felt like about 25% of the weight of the Remington. The thing had an oval handguard and actually didn't look like a real gun. I've held supersoaker squirt guns that were heavier, without the water in them!

The price on the carbon fiber gun was $825. If you are going to be doing something that involves carrying an AR for long distances, you might want to look into one of these lightweights. They are unbelievably light.

2. Lot of issues with the carbon rifles.

3. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

My friend has the Carbon-15 and I would have to say it's the lightest rifle I have held. He said he bought it for when he is scouting for Elk and deer during the summer months and wants something to shoot the occasional bunny or coyote that might present it's self. I think they are great for some one who wants a light weight rifle. The only problem I have heard are they heat up fast due to the pencil thin barrels and gasses heating up the actions. If you don't shoot more than a few rounds in between cool downs I don't see it being a problem. If you are looking to put mag after mag down range than they might not be the rifle for you.

4. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I would hope anyone planning to spend a lot of time on a range doing rapid fire or sustained fire shooting wouldn't want a lightweight specialty rifle in the first place. They seem to be ideal for those who carry a lot and shoot a little, but not vice versa.