close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Well, Dennis, you were right...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Calvin, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

..about NOT touching off an M44 too close to dry grass. Went to the range last night and there was a guy who touched off a grass fire with his from the prone position. Not too much damage done, but it sure did go up pretty fast from what the other guys who actually saw it said.
    Well, now I have seen it myself. The poor guy was so embarrassed!! He REALLY felt bad! No one was hurt, and it didn't burn anything but some weeds. However, he thought he almost caused an inferno and was gonna turn in his membership on the spot. The owner told him it was okay and not to worry about it. The guy had to calm down for 30 minutes before he realized he wasn't in trouble. However, as I was loading my M38 after all of this, the owner looked at me and said "Off the bench, right?". :)

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

interesting story Calvin.i just bought a M-44 Romanian last night. Hmmmmmm, i wonder, if i extend the bayonet, can i toast marshmellows with the flash???:rolleyes: :D

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I would say you could sear the steaks for dinner, too. :D

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Papa G, try to crack off that Noisy Nagant carbine at least once in the late evening. The fireworks are awesome!

5. PAPA G

so i hear!!! fella selling it needed money, he wanted $125 for it. told him its not worth that much. then he comeback would you consider $75??? i says deal. good condition, stock is not to bad.

6. What's pretty funny is when you fire with the bayo extended and then check it later when cleaning. Nothing like wiping down that burnt powder that has gone the entire length of the thing.

7. PAPA G

the guy that sold me the m-44rum wanted to know if i would sell it back when things get better, so i said sure. guess i'm only renting it for now!!!:confused:

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Papa G, call Centerfire Systems. For what you paid for that one, you can get one from Centerfire for $49.
    Quit renting and start owning! ;)

9. PAPA G

Calvin, by the time shipping, dealer fee, and sales tax is paid, its right up there. and this guy brought it to my door, no 4473's. the guy was hurting for money, so i'll rent it until if and when he wants it back, besides i hate those losing my best friend looks. i get all emotional!!!:( :( :rolleyes: :D

10. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Yeah, I know what you mean. Hope he forgets about it, though!
    Hey, one of these days you're gonna have to take the plunge and get your C&R FFL, you know.:rolleyes:

11. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

C&R is dangrous...Mrs Doglips keeps hideing the Debit card and catalogs.....but you do savbe some $$....untill you order more than you need :)

12. PAPA G

yeah i'll get a C&R just about when all the deals are gone!!!i just bought a large safe and its getting overstocked, how do i explain needing another one??? and still keep my health???:eek:

13. RandyMac

RandyMac G&G Newbie

Yes, those fire balls are impressive. I've touched off my M-44 in almost total darkness (yes outside) the flame was at least 5 feet long. My wifes SMLE No. 5 with old cordite ammo was also pretty good. A friend of mine has a shortened M-44 (18") the fireball is something to behold. Who knew that you could have so many diffrent kinds of fun with these old rifles.

Randy Mac

14. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Well, after talking to the owner of the range, the poor guy had bought some ammo from a friend of his. Turned out to be APIT ammo. I guess all the guy shot was 2 rounds before catching the weeds on fire. One of my buddies' wife was there and saw the whole thing. She said the weeds didn't catch until the second shot, when he went prone. She said someone was on their way over to tell the guy he couldn't shoot that ammo on the range when it happened.
    Doglips, how can you POSSIBLY order more than you need?!? I've never heard of such a thing! Why, that's almost a leftist-statement!! ;):D

15. PAPA G

Calvin what is APIT??? see who says i'm a know it all!!! as far as doglips statement, i question that too, as i see it the need is great, the funds are low!!!:rolleyes:

16. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Papa G, it stands for armor piercing, incendiary, tracer. Pretty nasty stuff. Bought some a couple years ago and it really works.

17. I too am in agreement, it may be too many as far as the wife is concerned, but these Mosins are like potato chips you can just have one.

18. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

My wife sorta understood at first, but now she's starting to hide the catalogs from me. And, I think she's either buried the money or she has another bank account.

19. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I stand corrected....Will go with Pap G's statment...Need is high funds are low....my problem is that I fall in love with every fireamr I see and then explain to the wife how "when the revalution" happens we will need to firearms to kill our neighbors for food...and if we have this rifle/pistol then if the Albainen special forces invade Florida we can use their ammunition....so this firearm is needed just in case.

20. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Can I borrow that, Doglips? My wife thinks Albania is a friendly country.....:rolleyes: