Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
stopped by cabeas the other day to just see what they had in stock, when they do have it prices are decent.

.3oo blk" nope"

9mm? "nope"

5.56/223? Yessir we got this 880 round box for $699"

Me: " well, unfortunately thats little more than im looking for, no thanks.

And then i couldnt believe what he said..

"Well, you could just buy this and then sell it online for 3x as much"

It took me a second but i calm replied " no thanks, im not really that kinda guy" and walked off, really trying hard to stop my self from cussing him out and telling him and everyone around me that that is the exact reason we are in the sitation we are in! seriously.. wtf man, I thought guys at the gun counter used to be gun guys, now they are just clocking the hours to get a paycheck..

I felt really defeated and surprised that he said that.

anyways, if you see a bunch of 5.56 for sale on line at guoger prices, this is why.

Edit: Im guessing on the 880 round #, I cant remember exactly what the guy said, it could have been 1000 rounds. I think i got confused with 880 rounds crates of x54r?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TEchincally I could have done what he said, I could have put it on the CC and kept half and sold the rest.. but that just feels wrong, Idk i guess i just either have morals, or am not as cut throat as others, I get it, capitalism and all, but just because a buck can be made doesnt mean it has to be.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another thought, they have 5 box limits for 20 round boxes, why not break up the bulk stuff and sell it peicemeal, making sure that some got some instead of one getting all of it I guess the mfg dont like that.. but he just told me to do the same thing!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Frequently, I have read people apologizing for the price gouging as "just supply and demand" and 'that is capitalism". No, that is not capitalism as originally described. Capitalism is an economic system that has roots in Christianity. Above all else, do the right thing. Rely on an "Invisible Hand" to morally guide decisions. What predominates in the US economy today is crony capitalism, which is far distant from real capitalism.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
whatever is going on prices are up and into the silly range.
i wandered around the sportsmans the other day and looked at quite a bit of ammo on the shelf but really nothing on the reloading shelves.
after seeing the prices on the this and that stuff that was there i can see why it's still sitting there.
what i don't understand is why there is a 12' long section of 12-20ga. slug's and buck shot plus another row of steel shot, but there is no target ammo.
when did they stop those machines?
they are not even part of the metallic ammo plant, and they surely don't share any components. except maybe powder, but even there 1 shotshell worth would make 4-5 9's/10's/45's, and there's no chance in hell of them making 4-5 times the amount of those than they were 2 years ago.

·
Registered
982 Posts
You should turn him in to management. Weeks ago I went into a Bass Pro twice a week apart and i reported those visits on here. They had a 3 box max limit unless you had a Cabelas or Bass Pro card then it could be six boxes, but no more than 2 of any type. Then they took your name, what the heck I said. Oh, we throw it away every night, we just make sure you do buy more than once a day. They also told me that they no longer put it out once a day as people would show up with all their family and wipe them out. So, they break it up and put it out every few hours. Same with powder.

One day I bought 2 boxes of 380 one day a 100 rounds of 45, and a total of 5 boxes of 223.. Not a lot any one day. The 380 were $19-$20 and the 45 were $27 for 50, federal brand and the 223 was Tullamo, at $7 a box. Fair prices.
I have no complaint with them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You should turn him in to management. Weeks ago I went into a Bass Pro twice a week apart and i reported those visits on here. They had a 3 box max limit unless you had a Cabelas or Bass Pro card then it could be six boxes, but no more than 2 of any type. Then they took your name, what the heck I said. Oh, we throw it away every night, we just make sure you do buy more than once a day. They also told me that they no longer put it out once a day as people would show up with all their family and wipe them out. So, they break it up and put it out every few hours. Same with powder.

One day I bought 2 boxes of 380 one day a 100 rounds of 45, and a total of 5 boxes of 223.. Not a lot any one day. The 380 were $19-$20 and the 45 were $27 for 50, federal brand and the 223 was Tullamo, at $7 a box. Fair prices.
I have no complaint with them.
As agrivating as that sounds that is what it will take to break this up .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
what i don't understand is why there is a 12' long section of 12-20ga. slug's and buck shot plus another row of steel shot, but there is no target ammo.
when did they stop those machines?
Because it's not cost effective for them to run just a small amount of any one product and then switch their line over to another product. In any type of production facility it takes a considerable amount of man hours to do that switchover to another product and then there is usually some wasted product while getting all of the machinery fine tuned again. When they switch those lines to loading some target loads they could run that product for a few days or perhaps even weeks.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
As agrivating as that sounds that is what it will take to break this up .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
Morally I agree.
But after my experiences with Sportsman's Warehouse on a different matter.
Don't waste your time as they don't care.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
I'm starting to see more bullets available on the e-mail ads I get. some powder but still no primers

·
Premium Member
4,518 Posts
The last time I bought 1000 rounds of .223, I paid something like $375.00. I reload everything now, so I haven't been looking. I can't believe that $10.00 boxes of 9mm FMJ are going for $50.00. Something fishy is going on.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Stopped by the Bass Pro Shop in Ma. last week. Talk about nothing! No handguns except for a black powder pistol. Even the SAA style guns were gone. Ammo of course was a joke. A few more expensive long guns but not much else. Can get 9MM and 22 mag ammo at my LGS but expensive at $50-60 for 9MM.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
I refuse to play the game.
I live off the road system and on-line ammo sales dont deliver to arctic Alaska.
When it comes to UPS/FedEx shipping guns and ammo to Alaska? NOPE.
We are darn lucky we can even get handguns delivered here (not sure why I can buy a revolver and it arrives just fine)

How was it possible in 1950's and 1960's you could buy a mail order surplus rifle for $20 with paper personal check and have it delivered through the US Mail System?
And now today that is unthinkable?

Several companies that sell long guns on-line flat out refuse to ship long arms to Alaska.

The shelves are getting bare here just like it did with Obama.
Only this time its happening faster than last time.

I will hold onto the cartridges I have and not fuel the greed machine.
Even Alaskan ammo scalpers are going full swing.

How can a guy from the bush compete with Anchorage & Fairbanks ammo scalpers that daily sponge up the small allotments of ammo that burp to the surface at Alaskan dealers.
Spring is comming and duck hunters are out to pot some fresh meat.
12 gauge ammo is scant to slim pickings in OTZ.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Just imagine this.
In the last 12 months how many new gun owners bought a firearm?
2-3 million?
If each one of those say 3 million gun owners wanted to shoot that new gun they'd need a new box of cartridges.
So say 50 rounds?
50 times 3 million = bare shelves.
Problem is the ammo scalping douch-canoes.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Walmart near me had 1 box of 25-06 on the shelf. No shotgun shells or rimfire. Had better luck at my LGS but expensive and sure can't be fussy concerning brands.

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Starting to hit up here now, too. Supplies of powder, bullets etc are dwindling. I don't know about store-bought ammo because I haven't bought any for a long time. I bought a case of .22 a few years ago and have lots left. Thankfully.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Chicago area gun dealers say record sales since Jan. 6 driven by fear - Chicago Sun-Times (suntimes.com) They blame Trump which is pretty funny. He is not the one wanting to defund the police and leave people defenseless. I was in the Cabelas in Oklahoma City about 6 weeks ago. Here is a couple pics of their gun counter. The first one is their lead display case that would normally be full of Glocks and the more high sales guns. The second counter is the 1911 counter, it is usually packed. Cabelasguns3192021.jpg GunsatCabels 3192021r.jpg The first case will hold about 65 handguns, the other will hold about 48. There are 8 total. I dropped by there again about 3 weeks ago and they did not have one round of ammo in stock, not one.

Reactions: mauser9

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Just imagine this.
In the last 12 months how many new gun owners bought a firearm?
2-3 million?
If each one of those say 3 million gun owners wanted to shoot that new gun they'd need a new box of cartridges.
So say 50 rounds?
50 times 3 million = bare shelves.
Problem is the ammo scalping douch-canoes.
In 2020 there was over 17 million new guns bought most by new owners.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts