·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post in the new Header :D

I must say I DEARLY love my Calicos!!

Um...hrm...and this is where I notice I've only got one good pic...LOL

I'd like to thank Chris for finally putting in a Calico thread :D

I'll have to get busy with a few pics, and some helpful hints...

Meanwhile, everyone feel free to post up about thier Calico firearms!!!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,773 Posts
I've always been intrigued by the Calico carbine, but no one I know owns one or has ever fired one. And anyhow, in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York their legality is kind of questionable. The helical magazine tends to get the legislators bent out of shape.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Calico's are cool, they used to manufactured right here in my hometown of Bakersfield, CA. Kind of funny that a company here in CA used to manufacture such evil, evil, high capacity magazine weapons. :)

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
An interesting bit of history about the Calico that some here may not know it was featured as the laser rifles in the Mel Brooks movie "Spaceballs".

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And..."I Come in Peace", not to mention a few others :D

It's funny, but until Bill Clinton's AWB of 1996, I was content with revolvers...
after he banned hi-caps, I wanted hi-caps...and would buy them used from questionable sources...
then after the ban died, I started buying hi-caps thru more legitimate sources.

If the scumbag Lib-Dems ever ban Hi-caps again, I'll just go back to buying them thru street sources & cache'ing them...
it's not like dumb anti-gun laws ever really stop anything...they just slow things down & make criminals out of good folks.
At least when I buy hi-caps guns from street folk, they're out of the hands of really nasty crooks...
and put in the hands of someone who would defend their country with 'em...and not much else other than plinking.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An interesting bit of history about the Calico that some here may not know it was featured as the laser rifles in the Mel Brooks movie "Spaceballs".
That reminds me, I've got a Spaceballs/Calico thread around here somewhere...

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aw, C'mon, nobody else has a Calico???

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,773 Posts
Calico guys, I have a question for you.

All of the Calicos I've seen here and on Gunbroker.com are shown with folding stocks. Nothing wrong with that -- although the bubbleheaded boobs in Albany, mostly the ones from Sodom-on-Hudson (who haven't a working brain between them), got a bill passed that restricts folding stocks to "vintage," meaning pre-ban, firearms. But I have seen a few photos of Calicos with fixed Walnut stocks, and I really do like that look.

Did Calico offer it as an option, or is this something strictly aftermarket? I'd like to know, in case I ever get lucky enough to find a Calico at the same time I have the money to buy it.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That model was the Calico 100-S, walnut stock.

They are very nice...but if you can't find a wooden stock on fleabay/auction sites, you can convert an AK thumbhole stock...
if you are a handy woodworker.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As a former New Yorker - I feel for you.

Dumb question - but if 1/1000 of our country's gun owners were irresponsible - wouldn't all our streets be flowing with blood?
Psychotic Laws!

I've always been intrigued by the Calico carbine, but no one I know owns one or has ever fired one. And anyhow, in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York their legality is kind of questionable. The helical magazine tends to get the legislators bent out of shape.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,773 Posts
Good point, Zevon. Based on estimated numbers of privately owned firearms, that would be 80,000 people, or the equivalent of a heavy US Army Corps organized along the WWII division system.

Based on the estimated number of citizens who own at least one firearm, that would be 40,000 people; or 10% more people than the armed components of the New York Police Department put together.

But the honest answer is, "Beats the hell out of me." The Gallup Poll information has a strong suspicious taint to it, because there are many people who don't or won't give the pollsters an honest answer. (I know were they to ask me, the response they would get would be, "None of your [bleeping] business. This interview is over. Goodbye.")

But I note that as a class, honest American gun owners (I phrase it that way to exclude both the criminal element and urbanites who possess unregistered firearms in places where such registration is required by law) are remarkably honest and sane. I am certain that were there sufficient provocation, we would rise in defense of our nation and our rights. But it would take a great deal of provocation for us as a class to abandon the ballot box in favor of the ammo box.

Very few honest gun owners run off the rails and use their firearms to kill people without provocation. Certainly the number is far less than the number of habitual drunks who kill people with their automobiles annually. Yet I don't hear the anti-drunk driving crowd calling for mandatory installation of breathalyzers or permanent loss of drivers' licenses for drunk drivers. The yankee gummint, or at least the gummint when the Democrats control it, seem to be positive gun owners are a greater threat to the body politic than drunk or drugged drivers. Funny thing, that. One does wonder if it has to do that more of the elected and appointed officials abuse alcohol or drugs than own firearms, doesn't one?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good point, Zevon. Based on estimated numbers of privately owned firearms, that would be 80,000 people, or the equivalent of a heavy US Army Corps organized along the WWII division system.

Based on the estimated number of citizens who own at least one firearm, that would be 40,000 people; or 10% more people than the armed components of the New York Police Department put together.

But the honest answer is, "Beats the hell out of me." The Gallup Poll information has a strong suspicious taint to it, because there are many people who don't or won't give the pollsters an honest answer. (I know were they to ask me, the response they would get would be, "None of your [bleeping] business. This interview is over. Goodbye.")

But I note that as a class, honest American gun owners (I phrase it that way to exclude both the criminal element and urbanites who possess unregistered firearms in places where such registration is required by law) are remarkably honest and sane. I am certain that were there sufficient provocation, we would rise in defense of our nation and our rights. But it would take a great deal of provocation for us as a class to abandon the ballot box in favor of the ammo box.

Very few honest gun owners run off the rails and use their firearms to kill people without provocation. Certainly the number is far less than the number of habitual drunks who kill people with their automobiles annually. Yet I don't hear the anti-drunk driving crowd calling for mandatory installation of breathalyzers or permanent loss of drivers' licenses for drunk drivers. The yankee gummint, or at least the gummint when the Democrats control it, seem to be positive gun owners are a greater threat to the body politic than drunk or drugged drivers. Funny thing, that. One does wonder if it has to do that more of the elected and appointed officials abuse alcohol or drugs than own firearms, doesn't one?
Thank You!

By no fault of my own - I was born and raised in NYC. Couldn't even consider acquiring any (legal) fire arm. If you kill or seriously injure a larger attacker - I know of NO SELF DEFENSE LAW - whatsoever! That said - $200.00 cash - and you get fine (illegal) delivery service of your hand gun the next day. It is ALL WRONG...

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You definitely need to spend an hour familiarizing yourself with Florida Laws...which is to say, there ain't many ;)

Our Castle law has been expanded to mean that you can consider your home and your car, and any other place where you would have
a reasonable expectation of safety as a defensible location...in short, bad guy tries to rob/harm you or relatives/friends/etc, blast him, its all good as long as you are protecting someone.

Best thing you can do is attend the CCW course at a gun show, or at a Local Range...they go over the FLorida Gun Laws in Great Detail...
where I just tossed you a minimal overview ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sweet...

Sure LOVE those 100 round Calico carbines.
Not sure I would use it in my car though.
9mm - kinda "less than lethal".
Up close - I like an elbow to chin to palmed knife into neck.

Rather clean blood than fill bullet holes...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good News! (I think)

After nearly hiring a lawyer; I finally found this at ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns
"A firearm that meets the definition of a SBR consists of a rifle that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length.
Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?
Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS."
So one should be able to take any semi calico made with a 16+ inch barrel and never have to deal with NFA FED S*^T?
God I hope I am correct!
Long barrel = better accuracy!

You definitely need to spend an hour familiarizing yourself with Florida Laws...which is to say, there ain't many ;)

Our Castle law has been expanded to mean that you can consider your home and your car, and any other place where you would have
a reasonable expectation of safety as a defensible location...in short, bad guy tries to rob/harm you or relatives/friends/etc, blast him, its all good as long as you are protecting someone.

Best thing you can do is attend the CCW course at a gun show, or at a Local Range...they go over the FLorida Gun Laws in Great Detail...
where I just tossed you a minimal overview ;)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I've got one as well. Picked it up in a pawn shop for a steal.

Firearm owners as a whole generally have never seen one. Very rare to come across one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts