close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Well It Finally Happened

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TNPIRATE, May 16, 2017.

1. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana
    Never new the snakes and glass eggs was always told it was so they would lay in the nest box and not some place else.

Jaison likes this.
  2. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Around here we call'em rat snakes. You need to snake proof the hen house and if possible relocate them, because in these parts they also kill the Diamondback Rattlers' .

neophyte, ncnascarlady and PAPA G like this.

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A friend of mine found this one on her kitchen counter going for the eggs.

steph's snake.jpg

neophyte and TNPIRATE like this.
  4. Okay. That snake broke my most important and fundamental rule. It's in the house. IT DIES!!!!!!

Right after I peel myself off the ceiling and stop screaming like a little girl that is...

Cyrano, neophyte and TNPIRATE like this.
  5. ChaZam

Haha, actually she relocated it which I wouldn't have done in a hundred years.

6. Spare a thought for my sister.
    She lives on the edge of a national park.
    She cant keep chickens for long as they
    disappear quickly,so has to buy eggs.
    Goannas are the main pest as they go
    after the cat food and she chases them off
    with an air rifle.
    While getting rid of one goanna a second one
    entered the kitchen and ate the eggs she had
    just brought home. Ah the joys of country life.

7. Oh I'd relocate it alright. In several dozen small pieces!

neophyte, ChaZam, Huey Rider and 2 others like this.
  8. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

Well it's been 2 days and haven't seen the snake back. Maybe it gave itself a headache banging its head against the nesting box with the egg in its mouth:D
    That cheaply built chicken coop is real easy for critters to get into.

So I'm gonna buy some of that snake repellent stuff they sell. Gonna put it around and under the chicken coop. Not in the pen area where the chickens can get to it.

neophyte, ChaZam and ncnascarlady like this.
  9. ChaZam

Mark I've heard from a couple people that a snake will not cross a rope soaked in diesel fuel. I've never tried that myself and don't know if there is any valid science to that or not. It wouldn't cost much for some cheap sisal rope or manila rope and some diesel fuel to test it out

But hey, an old snake in the grass like me would slither right over a diesel soaked rope to get to a chicken egg.

Cyrano, neophyte and TNPIRATE like this.
  10. TNPIRATE

I guess I spoke to soon. The snake came (tried) back today. I looked out the shed and saw the robins (birds) acting funny. Looked down and there was the snake. Moved him back to the tall grass and the woods. He was gettin a bit pissy cause I was pesterin him. Wanted to coil up and look like he was goin to strike.
    Shortly after that I headed to the walmrt and bought some of that snake repel stuff. The stuff is a white powder, and claims to have a scent that snakes don't like. The s**ts expensive, 12.88 for 4 pounds. I put it around edge under the coop. Hope it works.

Jaison, ncnascarlady and neophyte like this.
  11. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana

Should have put it in a box put it around it and watched to see if it works.

TNPIRATE and neophyte like this.
  12. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

It will be back!

13. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

just buy the hardware wire and be done with it.

Cyrano, neophyte, Jaison and 2 others like this.
  14. aris_unlimited

aris_unlimited G&G Evangelist

Problem is, if he's eating eggs then he's not gonna be hungry for the other critters!

ChaZam, neophyte and ncnascarlady like this.
  15. TNPIRATE

There is more than one. As I said I went down and bought some of that snake repellent stuff. Let me save ya'll some time. Keep your money. The stuff don't work. I took it back today.

Yesterday I spread that stuff all under the hen house. Today I started mowin and saw a snake sittin right at the edge of the repellent. The dam snake crossed right over it and up into the hen house. So I had to go in the hen house and drag it out. This one wasn't the same one. This one had a blunt tail. Now from what I have heard from the locals a poisonous snake has a blunt tail. When draggin it out of the hen house it wanted to get its feathers ruffled, and ruffled mine in the process. So it met with a sure fire never fail lead repellent. So all you snake experts out there tell me what type snake this is.

DSCF6041.JPG

DSCF6042.JPG

DSCF6043.JPG

Yep it took 2 lead repellents to the head.

Then at about 3:30pm Tennessee time I go to check the eggs in the coop. I'LL BE DAM'D if there ain't the same snake from yesterday in the coop. How do I know it is the same snake from yesterday. Tail came to a point, head even with the body, and bold goldish markings. Looks like he's gonna be getting the lead repellent treatment too.

16. TNPIRATE

Someone on here (went back and tried to find the post) said to soak a rope in diesel and put it around the coop. That a snake will not cross it. That don't work I don't think. The second snake in the coop today crossed over a garden hose to get into the coop.

neophyte and ChaZam like this.
  17. Jaison

Jaison They who choose safety over liberty gain neither Forum Contributor

Yonder
    Looks like a rat snake, pirate. Not venomous.

neophyte likes this.
  18. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I'm betting this one won't be back!

19. Considering you blew most of his head off, I have no idea, but if it was pie shaped with a sharply pointed head that was larger at the back of the head than the neck is wide, it was poisonous.

Something I learned in the girl scouts that's stuck with me all these years. If the head is shaped like a V as in viper, it's poisonous..

neophyte, TNPIRATE and Cyrano like this.
  20. ChaZam

Post #29 Mark. The fact that it crossed a garden hose is not an indication that it will cross a rope soaked in diesel. A native American guy told me about the rope and diesel, but I do not know if it works... Just passing along what I heard.

PS: That same fellow's wife said their backyard eggs cost them about $5.00 a dozen; he said it was in the $12.00 to $14.00 range when you factored in all the extras that they had to spend feeding birds that were past their prime as layers. She didn't want to cull them when they were only laying 2 eggs per week after they got 2 or 3 years old. Then you factor in all the snake proofing the overhead protection from hawks and owls, etc, the Great Pyrenees dog to run off or kill the coyotes, bob cats, feral dogs, raccoons, opossums, skunks etc, constant attrition due to age or illness... They got up over 200 chickens for awhile, but are down to 6 now. They are a very interesting but expensive hobby unless you get into it on a hy-tech commercial basis. And hey, the last eggs I bought at ALDI were $0.57 per dozen.