Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a bunch of you tube vids, and rag articles, I went seeking the real thing. The marketing dream, the MICRO 9
I’ll try to be brief.

let’s start with the prettiest girl to the ball first. Sig P365. Solid, good rep, balanced. The initial issues and 3 striker iterations are burned in my brain. Almost too small in grip. I’d need to shoot it. That goes for everything.

Springfield HellCat. Feels okay. Good grip. I’m still a bit butt hurt with them politically if I didn’t have other choices, I’d look harder at it. Basically I held it to say I did.

S&W Shield Plus. A little bigger than the rest, but nice. That size, they say, makes it a bit more “shootable” S&W rep, M&P rep. Nice mag options. Great finish. I’m intrigued.

Ruger Max 9
Ahem…..I’m a Ruger guy. Immediately this felt top heavy. The LC9 trigger was very curved and had to index far forward to reach. Optic ready, good job, but probly not ready for that yet. Finish… blah. My LC380 has same finish and as much as I like the gun, only one I’ve had a rust spot on. I have a Gen2 1993 Glock with cop holster wear to bare metal with no rust. In the store, I couldn’t pick up the front sight. That’s a selling point, that front sigjt. I think in day light or almost dark to dark I’d been okay. I am damned apologetic, but I just couldn’t “feel” it.

Taurus GX4. Im sorry God and all the little pygmies. I liked its weight and balance. Grip texture, finish. Their web site has a lot of options. Front sight, extended mags, holsters. Yeah, need a tool or cartridge rim for take down. That does make it slick on the sides omitting a lever or Glock grab type take down. (Beats Rugers pin) This and the shield, I really wanted to shoot.

Price: Dunham’s was MSRP close to +
My go to LGS had everything in stock below MSRP. To kick in more data, The GX4 was $379.

It was an interesting trip. As a side note. All three places I visited had ammo. I bought a 40 round box of Tula 7.62x39 for $14 and some change. Pre pandemic was $9-$10 per 40. I like the way it shoots as well.

Summary;
If. Go down the micro 9 road, I have a bit of soul searching to do. Soul searching mainly because I swore I’d never own a Taurus semi auto pistol.

·
Premium Member
25,130 Posts
Hmm, lots of options out there for sure Jerry. Hopefully you pick one that serves your purpose. It seems Taurus has improved their products and are attempting to improve customer service over the last few years.
I settled on the Gen 4 Diamondback DB9, but truthfully I have only put about 50 rounds total with it which included just 12 rounds of Sig 124gr. JHP and the rest just FMJ ammo. That's far too few to really judge it's dependability based on issues documented with Generations 1 through 3.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Sure are some serious options out there lately with the Micro 9 craze. Glad I got the CS-9 still as I don't feel I need to decide. Not sure which I would choose. Guess the one that feels best in hand.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Only smaller one I got to fire was the Glock 43. I was impressed with the trigger. Wonder how the newer micros would compare to my old CS-9? Hammer fired vs. striker. Wouldn't mind having another the S&W Shield is the only one I see often in my crappy state where torture testing is done on models before acceptance.

·
Premium Member
10,392 Posts
Oh, for Pete’s sake!

What has the world come to when I agree with animalspooker?

Good choices and EXCELLENT writing, jerry. Have a Shield m2.0 and it really is a fantastic carry, at least for this guy.

The only Glocks I’ve ever bonded with have been the 48 and 43X. Well worth a look see, maybe.

Also, P938 with extended mags is nice. Reeeeeally nice...

Good luck, buddy! Please keep us in the loop on your worthy quest.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
After a bunch of you tube vids, and rag articles, I went seeking the real thing. The marketing dream, the MICRO 9
I’ll try to be brief.

let’s start with the prettiest girl to the ball first. Sig P365. Solid, good rep, balanced. The initial issues and 3 striker iterations are burned in my brain. Almost too small in grip. I’d need to shoot it. That goes for everything.

Springfield HellCat. Feels okay. Good grip. I’m still a bit butt hurt with them politically if I didn’t have other choices, I’d look harder at it. Basically I held it to say I did.

S&W Shield Plus. A little bigger than the rest, but nice. That size, they say, makes it a bit more “shootable” S&W rep, M&P rep. Nice mag options. Great finish. I’m intrigued.

Ruger Max 9
Ahem…..I’m a Ruger guy. Immediately this felt top heavy. The LC9 trigger was very curved and had to index far forward to reach. Optic ready, good job, but probly not ready for that yet. Finish… blah. My LC380 has same finish and as much as I like the gun, only one I’ve had a rust spot on. I have a Gen2 1993 Glock with cop holster wear to bare metal with no rust. In the store, I couldn’t pick up the front sight. That’s a selling point, that front sigjt. I think in day light or almost dark to dark I’d been okay. I am damned apologetic, but I just couldn’t “feel” it.

Taurus GX4. Im sorry God and all the little pygmies. I liked its weight and balance. Grip texture, finish. Their web site has a lot of options. Front sight, extended mags, holsters. Yeah, need a tool or cartridge rim for take down. That does make it slick on the sides omitting a lever or Glock grab type take down. (Beats Rugers pin) This and the shield, I really wanted to shoot.

Price: Dunham’s was MSRP close to +
My go to LGS had everything in stock below MSRP. To kick in more data, The GX4 was $379.

It was an interesting trip. As a side note. All three places I visited had ammo. I bought a 40 round box of Tula 7.62x39 for $14 and some change. Pre pandemic was $9-$10 per 40. I like the way it shoots as well.

Summary;
If. Go down the micro 9 road, I have a bit of soul searching to do. Soul searching mainly because I swore I’d never own a Taurus semi auto pistol.

I have been considering the larger taurus g3 as a full size back up home defense / car weapon.

If i had my wishes I'd get a S&w mp9 pro full size and a mp9 shield to go along with it.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Recall the "Wonder Nine Craze" way back and now we got the "Micro Nine Craze" it seems. Always been a sucker for the small autos even though my old S&W 39 felt really good in the hand. Still got the "goodyears" on the CS-9 but like the looks of the Ter-Cen grips I think they are called.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Hmm, lots of options out there for sure Jerry. Hopefully you pick one that serves your purpose. It seems Taurus has improved their products and are attempting to improve customer service over the last few years.
I settled on the Gen 4 Diamondback DB9, but truthfully I have only put about 50 rounds total with it which included just 12 rounds of Sig 124gr. JHP and the rest just FMJ ammo. That's far too few to really judge it's dependability based on issues documented with Generations 1 through 3.
I can't remember, did they make the barrel thicker?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NOT FAIR! You didn't even give the G48 a chance.
Got me. I did some digging. That or 43X maybe. I do like the shorter grip of the 10 round double stacks. I do okay with two fingered pinky dangle. It’s nice when the little double stacks offer extended if you want them.
cool thing with the 48 is the shield 15 round mag, however very hard to find now and need to swap the mag release for a shield metal version. I’m not in love with glocks, but do own one and respect it.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I'm not sure what all they changed compared to the first 3 generations of it Ed.
I know one of the issues with the early ones was they used darn near the same barrel diameter as the .380 models and had ruptured barrels and bulged slides.
Don't know what the fix or changes are.
The Gen 4
It has a thicker barrel although no specific specs I could lay my hands on. And more steel reinforcement in the polymer frame.

One YouTube reviewer did a side by side comparison of an earlier generation model.

When all the panic buying dust settles I think I might get one.

·
Premium Member
10,392 Posts
I know one of the issues with the early ones was they used darn near the same barrel diameter as the .380 models and had ruptured barrels and bulged slides.
Don't know what the fix or changes are.
The Gen 4
It has a thicker barrel although no specific specs I could lay my hands on. And more steel reinforcement in the polymer frame.

One YouTube reviewer did a side by side comparison of an earlier generation model.

When all the panic buying dust settles I think I might get one.
Graham Baates does a good job, imo. Not too snobby or too gabby.

It’s good to see his content getting shared.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,065 Posts
Hard to go wrong with any of the proven new designs.

Glock 43, 43x, Shield, Sig P365, etc.

I have some variation of the Glocks. The Pearce grip extender gives an extra round and some needed purchase on the shorter grip.

Haven't tried the Hellcat or the Ruger but they make good stuff.

I avoid Tauri unless they make a gun type that no one else does (like the Public Defender, 941, etc.).

The Shield was the original and it's hard to go wrong with it. A little longer than the others but not terribly so and conceals well.

What's MY micro 9 carry ? Sig P365 SAS. It's really a go everywhere gun. Usually carried AIWB or pocket in a Sticky holster. The lines are very sleek BUT it has a quarky sighting system that I would NOT go for if a person were new to the micro-9s. The base 365 model would be my choice. 10+1 with a 12+1 spare mag. I've carried the 43/43x also but the Sig is just one of those guns that's so smooth in lines and unobtrusive it begs to go everywhere. The 43x feel really good in hand too--it's a little long for a pocket gun but is easily carried AIWB.

Good luck ! Comes down to what fits you and what you like.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts