Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Premium Member
Poor guy was almost apologetic about kinda liking it 馃槀
Haha, for sure.
Maybe guys like me should let go of those opinions that we formed about their company decades ago.
One of my brothers has the G2C and loves it. He got rid of some model of S&W concealed carry pistol when he got the Taurus.

Since 03-15- 2002
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I鈥檇 prefer something has a couple years of real world abuse on it. I mean, it has to go through at least 3 Striker iterations? 馃槈
As far as T. I have been a life long hater. Only owned a 85CH once and sold it to fix my truck. They definitely have some reputation to repair. They did that to themselves. With some effort and some US made products, I鈥檓 curious to see if they land on their feet, but I鈥檓 not in a hurry to see personally on my dime or my or my families safety.

Since 03-15- 2002
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think I鈥檝e convinced myself I do not want any of these micro 9鈥檚. At least not in the near future. Looking at compacts and sub compacts that can be compacts with mag options are more appealing. Yeah, they have potential in a niche of pocket guns, but I can pocket cary my LCR and LC380 if I choose to, which isn鈥檛 often.

Premium Member
I think I鈥檝e convinced myself I do not want any of these micro 9鈥檚. At least not in the near future. Looking at compacts and sub compacts that can be compacts with mag options are more appealing. Yeah, they have potential in a niche of pocket guns, but I can pocket cary my LCR and LC380 if I choose to, which isn鈥檛 often.
I have my little Diamondback DB9 Jerry. I stick it in my right front pocket when I go to WalMart, Tractor Supply, etc. In a nutshell I think about it as a bare essential tool that will hopefully get me to my truck where a more suitable tool is at. I do need to make myself shoot it more than I have up to this point. The micros have a place in my life, but I must admit it's hard to love them. I couldn't bond with the 1st gen Ruger LCP that I had so I traded it back to the dealer I bought it from after putting just a few rounds through it. I also have a little S&W 380 M&P Bodyguard that I have scarcely used also. I need to work on trying to develop a little love for it too.

Premium Member
Not a fan, either, jerry, although one gets pocketed during the weekday (P938).

Just curious, what in particular draws you away from them? Might be helpful information for folks trying to decide. At your discretion, of course, sir.

Since 03-15- 2002
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks Rex & Jaison
I don鈥檛 mind smaller guns. I tend to shoot them okay.
I never really had a strong desire to own the P365 during its current tenure.
When the competition came out with their own renditions, I thought I鈥檇 at least educate myself.
I did so to the point of being on the edge of consideration of the technology in general. Still not in love with the P365.
It has really boiled down to a field of me too products with a small twist here or there.
Prices are too high right now, on everything.
Also had to ask myself if I really need another 9 to feed?
I鈥檓 not a 365 hater. I did however end up with the same no cares to give about the field after doing a bunch of research.
Summary- At the moment, the juice doesn鈥檛 seem worth the squeeze.

Premium Member
Haha! Understood.

My buddy calls the new rash of micros the Joe Nemecheks of guns- the 鈥榓lso rans鈥.

Seems like a lot of manufacturers are piling on. Guess they鈥檙e filling the market wants.

The little 鈥榰ns have their place, but I鈥檓 also sticking with the larger gats.

Registered
I am with you Jerry, none of the new marketing term micro 9s appeal to me. If I need real fire power I am going to wear a holster and a full size gun like the Glock 19. Personally, I want a gun I can carry in a pocket totally concealed, none of these listed will fit my jeans pocket without gaping the pocket open and being obvious. All of them start at about 18 ounces before you add the ammo and a holster which then makes them about 2.5 pounds total. If I am going to carry 2.5 pounds I darn sure want to go ahead and have a bigger gun since I will have to wear some rig to hold it anyway.

I have 3 types of guns that fit completely in the pocket and do not gap open the pocket and show the gun. A J frame lightweight like the 637, the 380s like the LCP and the only tiny 9 that will fit is the Keltec PF9 the smallest made, 12.7 ounces empty and about 15 totally loaded. My Glock 43 is just too big, it shows at the top. Many people cannot shoot the Keltec say it kicks way to much, but a trade off that is OK for me.

Nothing wrong with the others. I carried 1911s, and K frame SWs and the Beretta and other large guns daily, I just do not want one that big on me all the time. So, I carry a big one in the truck, but my pocket gun is what gets me back to the truck. It is small and always hidden. I carry one mag is a knife pouch on my belt. Anyway, I am with you, they are fine, just do not appeal to me as they are just a little too big for my uses.

Gun Toting Boeing Driver
Thanks Rex & Jaison
I don鈥檛 mind smaller guns. I tend to shoot them okay.
I never really had a strong desire to own the P365 during its current tenure.
When the competition came out with their own renditions, I thought I鈥檇 at least educate myself.
I did so to the point of being on the edge of consideration of the technology in general. Still not in love with the P365.
It has really boiled down to a field of me too products with a small twist here or there.
Prices are too high right now, on everything.
Also had to ask myself if I really need another 9 to feed?
I鈥檓 not a 365 hater. I did however end up with the same no cares to give about the field after doing a bunch of research.
Summary- At the moment, the juice doesn鈥檛 seem worth the squeeze.
Haha! Understood.

My buddy calls the new rash of micros the Joe Nemecheks of guns- the 鈥榓lso rans鈥.

Seems like a lot of manufacturers are piling on. Guess they鈥檙e filling the market wants.

The little 鈥榰ns have their place, but I鈥檓 also sticking with the larger gats.
I guess for me, knowing all the limitations, these things can be an 'always have it with you' type of gun AND can be pocket carried if I need a tucked shirt without outer garment (I know there are tuckable holsters but they don't 'do it' for me). Kinda like a modern-day J-frame but with more ammo and a little more punch (and able to be shot more accurately to boot).

If your situation allows a G19, VP-40, 1911, etc. to be regularly carried with outer garment, untucked shirt, or open more power to 'ya. I think most would prefer the larger capacity, better ballistics, better sight radius or sighting system, etc. And I often DO carry OWB with these things when the situation permits it.

But I'm out and back and out and around quite a bit. While it's some work to dress around the gun to get a fuller size pistol, sometimes I'm lazy or the situation precludes it. So the smaller 9s fill a nice role in this case and I can have it pretty much everywhere. Yup--there ARE definite limitations and if on the day I'm taking a 15 yard head shot or facing an angry animal who can hurt me I'll probably be wishing I'd have strapped on my VP-40 (if I didn't) but at least these things give me NO excuse not to have something in a major caliber.

Registered

Registered
I guess for me, knowing all the limitations, these things can be an 'always have it with you' type of gun AND can be pocket carried if I need a tucked shirt without outer garment (I know there are tuckable holsters but they don't 'do it' for me). Kinda like a modern-day J-frame but with more ammo and a little more punch (and able to be shot more accurately to boot).

If your situation allows a G19, VP-40, 1911, etc. to be regularly carried with outer garment, untucked shirt, or open more power to 'ya. I think most would prefer the larger capacity, better ballistics, better sight radius or sighting system, etc. And I often DO carry OWB with these things when the situation permits it.

But I'm out and back and out and around quite a bit. While it's some work to dress around the gun to get a fuller size pistol, sometimes I'm lazy or the situation precludes it. So the smaller 9s fill a nice role in this case and I can have it pretty much everywhere. Yup--there ARE definite limitations and if on the day I'm taking a 15 yard head shot or facing an angry animal who can hurt me I'll probably be wishing I'd have strapped on my VP-40 (if I didn't) but at least these things give me NO excuse not to have something in a major caliber.
Good point about the angry animal. For many years it was illegal to carry a handgun in some of the mountain states while archery or black powder hunting. So, walking around with a Hawken 50, single shot, limited to round balls only, was not so bad, just what you had to do. Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone concept.

But the first time you take that walk after dark down some 3 mile logging road alone, with only a small flashlight and hear a cat scream, and lots of people on here know that sound, you suddenly put that 1911 in the backpack for next time and dig it out when you start back to the truck. Cocked and locked never felt so good, in the hand, of course.

Walked my nephew through his first gun purchase a couple months ago, he chose the Sig 365, got professional training and loves it. He is 3rd degree black belt in Karate, multiple styles. Said he was feeling vulnerable when he hiked in the AZ and Utah mountains. Never been concerned about people until all the riots this last year, then decided he needed more range than his flying side kick so he chose the 365 after renting many. He is thin but muscular and conceals it in Az with just a loose shirt in a right side appendix carry. Based on his experience as a brand new shooter with no bias, and a tremendous amount of hand eye coordination that speaks well of the gun.

Registered
I look at it this way with the Micro 9s. My body type doesn't allow me to hide a fullsize or midsize handgun without wearing bulky clothing. My career choice doesn't really allow me to walk around in an untucked shirt, cargo pants, or other bulky clothing.
The Micro 9s allow me to carry almost 100% of the time. Can't carry in Government offices when I need to visit/have meetings. I'm not 100% in love with them, but they allow me to protect myself and family when away from home. I also prefer the P365 for it's ability to carry double what my S&W 644 can carry and a magazine for the reload if needed. I also like that it's as slim as my P290 and weighs less than it does loaded with the 6+1.

Registered
After a bunch of you tube vids, and rag articles, I went seeking the real thing. The marketing dream, the MICRO 9
I鈥檒l try to be brief.

let鈥檚 start with the prettiest girl to the ball first. Sig P365. Solid, good rep, balanced. The initial issues and 3 striker iterations are burned in my brain. Almost too small in grip. I鈥檇 need to shoot it. That goes for everything.

Springfield HellCat. Feels okay. Good grip. I鈥檓 still a bit butt hurt with them politically if I didn鈥檛 have other choices, I鈥檇 look harder at it. Basically I held it to say I did.

S&W Shield Plus. A little bigger than the rest, but nice. That size, they say, makes it a bit more 鈥渟hootable鈥 S&W rep, M&P rep. Nice mag options. Great finish. I鈥檓 intrigued.

Ruger Max 9
Ahem鈥..I鈥檓 a Ruger guy. Immediately this felt top heavy. The LC9 trigger was very curved and had to index far forward to reach. Optic ready, good job, but probly not ready for that yet. Finish鈥 blah. My LC380 has same finish and as much as I like the gun, only one I鈥檝e had a rust spot on. I have a Gen2 1993 Glock with cop holster wear to bare metal with no rust. In the store, I couldn鈥檛 pick up the front sight. That鈥檚 a selling point, that front sigjt. I think in day light or almost dark to dark I鈥檇 been okay. I am damned apologetic, but I just couldn鈥檛 鈥渇eel鈥 it.

Taurus GX4. Im sorry God and all the little pygmies. I liked its weight and balance. Grip texture, finish. Their web site has a lot of options. Front sight, extended mags, holsters. Yeah, need a tool or cartridge rim for take down. That does make it slick on the sides omitting a lever or Glock grab type take down. (Beats Rugers pin) This and the shield, I really wanted to shoot.

Price: Dunham鈥檚 was MSRP close to +
My go to LGS had everything in stock below MSRP. To kick in more data, The GX4 was $379.

It was an interesting trip. As a side note. All three places I visited had ammo. I bought a 40 round box of Tula 7.62x39 for $14 and some change. Pre pandemic was $9-$10 per 40. I like the way it shoots as well.

Summary;
If. Go down the micro 9 road, I have a bit of soul searching to do. Soul searching mainly because I swore I鈥檇 never own a Taurus semi auto pistol.
I have taken them all apart, field strip to detail strip the slide. The Ruger is a tank. The Springfield is a Glock (much more than the XDs), the Taurus is a good imitation of the 365, I didn't compare the firing pins, but I am NOT having the die cast firing pin out of the Sig until I see a LOT more people north of 10k rounds with no break. Otherwise what am I going to do? Keep one firing pin for the range and a fresh one for carry? AND it's a pain to swap compared to all but the Hellcat. Out of all of them the 4" Shield feels like heaven in my hand, and many they are nearly the same as the proven Shield 2.0, but sacrifices in feel/capacity I'd take the G48 in a heart beat. At the end of the day, (maybe after my trigger job and an optic) I am going to shoot any if them effectively at 30 yards. They all conceal EASY and hold 10 rounds of more. I'll take the one that will be easiest to work on and last to fail.

Resident Curmudgeon
Out of curiosity, have any of you gents run across any Bersa 83s in the course of your micro-nine searches? In ten words or less, it is a Bersa Thunder 380 without the frame lock and an external slide release lever. I've been looking for one for years, because while I like the feel of the Bersa Thunder, I won't own a pistol with a frame lock -- or "the lawyer lock," as I refer to it.

They never seem to appear in the used pistol cases here. I don't know if it is because Bersas don't sell hereabouts, or because people like them so much that they don't trade them in at the gun shop.

Reactions: jerry

Registered
Out of curiosity, have any of you gents run across any Bersa 83s in the course of your micro-nine searches? In ten words or less, it is a Bersa Thunder 380 without the frame lock and an external slide release lever. I've been looking for one for years, because while I like the feel of the Bersa Thunder, I won't own a pistol with a frame lock -- or "the lawyer lock," as I refer to it.

They never seem to appear in the used pistol cases here. I don't know if it is because Bersas don't sell hereabouts, or because people like them so much that they don't trade them in at the gun shop.
Bersa is one of the niche brands with an established cult following. Not as many dealears carry them and not many owners sell them.

Nothing comes around used right now.

Registered
Bersa is one of the niche brands with an established cult following. Not as many dealears carry them and not many owners sell them.

Nothing comes around used right now.
The people I know who have Bersas keep them. They look like my PPK/s, but they cost less than half, and the ones I have fired shot better than the 2 Walthers I have owned. FWIW

Reactions: jerry and Cyrano

Registered
The people I know who have Bersas keep them. They look like my PPK/s, but they cost less than half, and the ones I have fired shot better than the 2 Walthers I have owned. FWIW
They are a good imitation of the Walther, but a little looser with their own quirks. They do have a decent trigger pull and most of the fixed barrel guns (Walter PPK and these Bersas) have good accuracy.

It's like the old Ruger P series, most people won't part with them for what they are worth. They are too hard to replace.

Registered
They are a good imitation of the Walther, but a little looser with their own quirks. They do have a decent trigger pull and most of the fixed barrel guns (Walter PPK and these Bersas) have good accuracy.

It's like the old Ruger P series, most people won't part with them for what they are worth. They are too hard to replace.
I love the Ruger P series but only have one, the P95. I keep a light on it and use it for my RV travel gun. I have many high cap 9s and it is the most accurate. I do not carry is as a CCW just because of it's size. My buddy likes them so well in 45 acp, he sold all his Sigs and keeps his Colt 1911s in the safe, he bought 2 of them and would buy more. I would buy them in 40 or 45 in a heartbeat.

I have had the PPK/s guns since the early 80s and carried one as back up in law enforcement but they are just too heavy compared to the tiny plastic guns for back up these days. My brother (now passed) had one that would shoot tiny groups, much better than my Walther. I have stressed to his daughter and nephew never to sell "that gun" unless to me. I would then keep it and give it back when I died. LOL

Reactions: jerry
21 - 40 of 41 Posts