Went To Gander Mountain Today

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by gandog56, May 2, 2008.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

They had one Mosin, an M44. A price tag of 149.99. Hell the laminated one I got from J&G looked 300% better and I got it for less than 100 bucks shipped.

Are people really buying them at that price?

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

They must be, or they would have marked them down already!

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I hear you. I just find it hard that that many people are ignorant.

Then I watch the news, and I know it!

4. Sparkytfl

Sparkytfl Guest

I did. They had seven of 'em and I picked one in the best condition. All they've had lately though are crap condition ones I'd never pay that much for. They're 150 everywhere around here. With transfer fees I'd save not enough money to bother.

5. I called Gander Mountain thats located in Texarkana Tx and the guy I talked to said they were about $99.00 there for M-44's

6. AnaxImperator

AnaxImperator Guest

I crawl the local pawnshops and outdoor/sporting-goods stores looking for deals on Mosins.

Big 5 has 91/30s & M44s for $179.99, and a pawnshop right off post had a raggedy M44 for.... $350! That particular rifle had been stripped of any bluing, no numbers matched, and the bolt wouldn't even open. I offered the guy $50 since the Mosin's action couldn't even be opened, and he wouldn't even knock $50 off the price.
    The clerk at Big 5 told me demand for Mosin Nagants has skyrocketed, so they've gotten away with raising their prices.

The cheapest Mosins I've found in my area are $110 for M38s and M44s, and $120 for 91/30s.

7. I bought a 38 a 44 and a 91/30 at the Eagle Arms gun show in Pa. $75 to $79 each you pick em out of the original crates!

8. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

He's full of caca (but no titi, right billy?), AI. That's the list price they've had for a couple years. Every month or two, either the m91/30 or the m44 go on sale for between $74-$89. The guy you talked to was trying to either swindle you into buying one at the non-sale price or didn't know his face from his rear end. Just go to the website: Home Page and put in your location for the weekly specials. Go there every Wednesday and Saturday (when the new flyers come out) and watch for them to go on sale, they're almost always in the middle pages. Then, go down to as many Big 5's as you can justify going to in your area, find the best one they have (make sure to ask for the ones in the back, too) and put it on 24 hour hold. Do that until you find the best one in each store and then go to the store with the "best of the best" and buy that one. Just let the other 24 hour holds expire, they don't mind and the sales go for a full week or more.

Man, the above paragraph should be a sticky for anyone near a Big 5... *chuckle*

9. I just looked at Big 5's ad on the net. Check this out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

‘U.S. PROPERTY’ BRITISH ENFIELD BOLT-ACTION .303 CAL. RIFLE
    BONUS BUY!
    [​IMG] View Larger Image

$239

(reg. $259.99)
    thru May 10
    [​IMG]

• MFR’D. BY SAVAGE
    • RECEIVER STAMPED WITH ‘U.S. PROPERTY’
    • LIMITED QUANTITIES
    • VERY GOOD CONDITION

Are these good Enfields and worth haveing ?...A.H

10. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Mike, those are great shooters and pretty collectable to boot. That's also an excellent price for a Savage\Enfield.

11. vcpilot79

vcpilot79 Guest

i agree with Just A Car...i bought my M91/30 from Big5 for 79 bucks...just wait till they go on sale. talk about mosinitis, i'm chompin at the bits till they go on sale again, i want another one!! lol, serisously guys, i'm about to loose it!!!

12. Keep your eye's open for the occasional "find". The folks at Big 5 don't always know what they have.

I bought the M44 Tula Hex receiver at a local Big 5... for $89.:approve:

My round receiver M44 Tula from a shop in Indaina was $125 plus shipping, and I thought that was a great deal... and now they're going for $199 at J&G.

I'm just sayin'...

13. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Ain't no Big 5's where I live. But my C&R means I can still get them for $69.95 + shipping.

14. i'll third that. my local big 5 salesman said they even dropoped their 91/59's price to $75 once in a while. next time i'm buying it.

15. SwedeSteve

You bunch o lucky so & so's! I may just go down to WA and have a look see!

16. like ive said time and time again, if you guys ever go thru Central PA, stop by eds Sport Shop, $89.95 for ALL mosins, even exsnipers, they dont raise there prices based on market demand either.

17. Mosins

Got a pretty good M44 this week for $79. Had to take the first one back........very hard to cock just like my battle scarred M39.

18. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Arkansas, Take a close look at those Enfields before buying. The ones I have seen are in pretty rough condition. Even though they say VG condition the ones I have laid hands on are more in the fair to poor range.

Tex

19. SwedeSteve

I guess thats why I am so skitish about E-buys!

20. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I am with you there Swede. Even if they say "three day inspection period" one is putting a lot of trust in someone who is a long ways away. Although, I know there are a lot of people who are very satisfied with their e- purchases.