Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just went to the gunshop at lunch with the intent to buy an AK, spending around $650.

5280 Armory here in Arvada, CO (http://www.ak-47man.com/home.html) carries primarily military-style weapons, mostly AK-style stuff and many handguns. A few years ago, they began carrying AR-15 stuff, so they have a pretty good selection of AR's now. LOL, they also have an $8,500 Barret Semi-Auto .50 BMG...lol, any buyers?

Anyway...I have a Bushmaster Varminter. And I have been building an M4 as I can afford it. I had a Bushmaster lower and a standard trigger kit.

After going to the shop, I bought an A3 CMMG complete upper with barrel, it is a 14" w/ 2" permanent flash hider, iron front site and standard ribbed forward stock. I also got a CAA Collapsible stock, and a CAA 3-rail stock adapter.

I also got a UTG 6x32 Rubber Armored Mini Red/Grn Mildot Scope.

All in all, it was $725.

I can't wait to get it all together and take it to the range.

Guess my AK-bug will have to wait a while.

Pics to come later today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I like what you are building better than an AK anyway. I built an M-4 a while back and put an Aim-point on it. I really like it! An AK would still be a good investment.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
nope you should get an ak before they go sky high or get banned

you can always buy an upper .

but as long as your happy

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
C-I You got a He!! of a deal !!!!! It was your day and don't even give it a 2nd thought later wether or not you should of bought an AK you did better...A.H

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, adding in the cost of the lower I already had, the lower assy/trigger kit and the ergo grip, I will have spent roughly $990. I guess that is an average price for a good AR.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've bought a few guns from 5280, good people. You still need an AK though.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice madcratebuilder. Looks like we have the same scope. My flash hider is a bit different though:

Does anyone have experience with a CMMG upper? I read reports of them being pretty good before I bought it, but you know how that goes. Better to hear it from real users. I'm kinda stuck with it now, which I don't mind...but just interested.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
CrazyIvan. Have you had the chance to shoot your scope yet? How did it sight-in? i just got mine this weekend. very pleased with considering the cost. It has great low light visibility, now I just need to figure out this mil-dot range finding.
I'm already thinking about a second build, 24", 6.5g, floated with high end optics. I may need to sell a couple of toys to finance that.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haven't shot mine yet. I need to pick up a stock wrench. The gunshop had one, but it was the big, modular heavy one with multiple uses and was $39.99. I want to order the one for like $7.99. lol

Also, when I opened the scope packaging, there was only one screw for the under-mount of the rail adapter. So, I have to figure out where to get another hex socket head cap screw that will fit in there and is anodized.

I am also contemplating getting a red-dot scope with 2x zoom. I have my 24-incher for distance shooting. But, I do like the look of the UTG scope on there.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is CAA. The video on their site for this adj tube stock is pretty cool:

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=119&cID=57

I like the storage and the side rail. It is reversable for both the lefty & righty shooter.

Haven't taken it out yet, trying to get my hands on a small stock wrench and still trying to find that socket hex head cap screw that was missing from the scope packaging.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Damn that is a pretty high speed stock. Maybe try e-mailing the company that made the scope for the screw. I have had pretty good luck with a lot of company's.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Haven't shot mine yet. I need to pick up a stock wrench. The gunshop had one, but it was the big, modular heavy one with multiple uses and was $39.99. I want to order the one for like $7.99. lol

Also, when I opened the scope packaging, there was only one screw for the under-mount of the rail adapter. So, I have to figure out where to get another hex socket head cap screw that will fit in there and is anodized.

I am also contemplating getting a red-dot scope with 2x zoom. I have my 24-incher for distance shooting. But, I do like the look of the UTG scope on there.
CI I have a 42mm red dot that has a add-on 2X, works great for moving targets. Not so good for target shooting, the dot is 2moa in diameter.
Your missing screw.....they put it in my bag. Yes I have three of them, go figure. They have a short head on them so you would have to turn down a standard shcs. PM me with your address and I'll send you my 'spare'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts