close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Westinghouse

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Armorer, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Armorer

Armorer Guest

I was going to ask how much hassle it would be to rechamber the 7.62x54 to 7.62x63, well guess what.

Westinghouse made them in 1918-19 for contract sales to the Russians.

Now how the heck do you think one can finds a 30.06 WWI rifle from all those years ago?

Still wanna know if a rechamber would be easier.
    It seems the chamber would be easy, but the bolt face?

Man, I've been hanging out at this board to long. Now I'm thinkin' of a second rifle? A M44 Chinese carbine for the woman.....

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

hey bud!!! don't know were you got the info at but M-N's have been 7.62X54r almost exclusively, a few were made over into 8x57 mauser by Poland in the 1920's. also military surplus King Bannerman&Sons had a bunch converted to 30-06, by setting back the barrel, and rechambered. the Bannerman conversions are considered not to healthy for the shooter.if you must have an "06" than get a Springfield 03-03a3. or a enfield m-17.

3. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Dude,

It's in the history books. I read the numbers on two different MN web pages.

Westinghouse made some 180k rifles, only 12k or were 30.06.

Heck Remington made them during WWI also. Only the x54r ones.

ALL the rest have been 7.62x54r

I think it would be cool to find one :)

Me Odd-Six of nutin'!

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Armorer, I can say with authority that a .30/06 conversion is not a good idea. The pressures of the '06 are in excess of what the standard Mosin can handle. The 54R round is in the same pressure as the .308 (about 42-45,000 psi). The '06 runs in the 52,000+ psi range. The Wesinghouses you mention were made from a different ordanance steel as experimental rifles for our troops, but it was too costly to continue production.
    I have seen 2 of these elusive animals for sale, and they have brought BIG bucks!!
    I take great pride in having a $100 rifle that fires a cartridge that has set more long-range shooting records than the '06, and is in the same power class as the '06. JMHO. :)

5. PAPA G

thanks for the back up Calvin. i saw the scanty info on the 06 mosins at mosin-nagant.net. doesn't tell a whole lot about the test rifles other than a number were made.:confused:

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

After WW2, there were a bunch of gunsmiths that did these conversions and all were ticking time bombs. I read one article where a guy died when the receiver blew up. There was only one man who took the time to make the proper conversion, and it took a whole month to make. Plus, it cost $75 back in 1947 to do it, when Mosins, with a case of ammo, cost $15 (sigh).

Armorer, if you do find one, let me know because I'd like to see the internal differences between a 54R and an '06. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2002
  7. PAPA G

ahh yes the good old days, when all you needed was money and a mailing adress!!!! did i ever tell you about the time i took a Mannlicher-Carcano and made it into a selective fire gas operated varmint rifle in .600 Nitro Express. could hit a fly at a thousand yards!!!!!:rolleyes: :eek: :D

8. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Ok I've abandoned the 06 idea. Thanks for mauling it over with me.

9. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

Papa G,
    Your automatic Mannlicher-Carcano conversion reminded me of one of my own creations from a few years back. Having recently missed a clean 40-yard shot at a treed 5-point buck with my .375 H&H, I decided it was time for a rifle with a quick second shot (and so forth and so on...).
    Having great faith in the .375 caliber effect on small deer, I started with a Swedish M96 which had a badly bent barrel. The action was easily converted to a blowback, belt fed automatic which fired from an open bolt. It was rechambered (of course) to .700 Nitro Express (bigger than yours....) but necked down to .375 cal. The increase in bore size on the Swed barrel took care of most of the bend in the barrel.

Initial tests with the .375/700 and 270-grain Barnes-X projectiles and 148 grains of powder yielded an average muzzle velocity of only 5890 fps. I was hoping for a flat shooter and that 5890 fps wasn't getting it. A little fabrication produced a .375 cal sabot which would carry a 140 grain .280 Remington Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet. That got the MV up to an average of 7750 fps. I was tickled. With that high velocity and the remaining bend in the barrel, I found that by shooting the rifle on its left side the trajectory of the bullet exactly matched the curvature of the earth. As a result, my 100-yard zero was the same as my 500-yard zero which was the same as my 10-mile zero (after 10 miles or so, the bullet would bleed off enough energy to cause it to impact the ground and richochet into the stratosphere...I don't know where it went after that......, but I do know that the Air Force lost a new Predator UAV in a "freak crash" over North Texas the same afternoon).

O.K., that's enough. I quit.

Take care, Papa G, and thanks for your wisdom, gun-guidance, and general inspiration through this and former gun sites (seriously).

10. PAPA G

i thank you James for the kind words, i like you!!! your project rifle sounds real good!!! what was the stock pre-cast concrete, or railroad ties??? currently i am studying ways to neck down a 105mm shell to .17 cal. i would rather have the155mm but their hard to come by.:confused:

11. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

Yes, the 155 is quite the item these days; however, the Marine Corps and the Army have both retired their 8in (203mm) Self-Propelled Howitzers, so I figure there's plenty of good, large caliber parts stock to be had there (If not, Bahrain will sell 8in parts to nearly anyone). Necking down from that 200lb projectile to a .17 should render some fine velocities....although ramming that .17 round into the breech might require some practice.

You're probably right about the 105, though. At least it has a cartridge case to work with.

Oh, the stock for my .280/700 Express Auto was completely fabricated.......so it would match the rest of my story. I have no idea what all of this has to do with a Westinghouse Mosin. Please accept my apologies, Armorer, for abusing this otherwise productive thread.

12. PAPA G

shuckins was hoping to get stocking ideas. did i ever tell ya'll about the stock i fabricated from laminated toothpicks???:eek: :p

13. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Try using concrete with rebar to bed that stock with Papa G. Used it on my 7.62/155 conversion and it works great!! When you have to have NASA use restricted technology to chronograph your loads, you learn a few tricks. PM me and I'll give you the instructions. Just make sure you have a clear path for the mixer before starting this. Borrow a welder, too.
    :nod: :)