Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to get an AR-10 with the T-6 stock because of the soft recoil, but after checking out the selection Springfield M1As I don't know which one to get. Money is a factor.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SOmething a little more high end than a SAIGA.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Fn Fal

FN FAL s with a good receiver such as Imbel and good parts are great shooters, 3" groups at 100 yds.. 95 Armies around the world couldnt be wrong. Some still have them.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Well, here is what you can pick from. M1A, Cetme/G3, JLD PTR 91, FAL, Saiga, and a AR-10(I might have left one or two out, but that should about cover it). Unless your wanting to spend over $750 your choices are the Cetme/G3 and a Saiga. Maybe, just maybe you'll find a nice FAL for less then that, but probably not, most of them are around $800. Not trying to put down Heilung's FAL's, but 3" groups and I'd throw that rifle in the sea, especially if I spend $800+. My G3, at half the price, will get 1"-1.5" groups and easily hit any plate we have at the range(range goes out to 300yds). Then you have your M1A's, PTR's and AR-10's in the $1000 and up club. A Saiga is a good low budget gun. It's accuracy is decent, but the 8-round mags and having to, if your not skilled, risk destorying the gun for a pistol grip setup is a major draw back. Sure you can send it off, but thats still $300. Now your at $600 with the gun, might as well spend the same money for a good Cetme/G3. I just looked at Centerfire and they have metric FAL's for $650, but I'm thinking those are guns put together by Century, which is a hit or miss deal. I don't know much about them, but the .458 SOCOM uppers will work with standard AR lowers and mags.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
I have the CETME and I love it. But, on my "want to get" list is the M1A, if and when I get the bucks together.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Took my CETME to the range the other day after a tear down and good cleaning. And with 150 gr FMJ handloads got 6" groups with open sights.
More practice needed to be sure but not bad out of a $200 gun.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THe only thing keeping me away from the G3, FAL, or CETME is the weight and bulk. I do a little hunting and I would get tired of luging one of those around. I am thouroughly impressed with them though especially the accuracey. :uzi:

I think the M1A Scout is what I need.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Well, weight should not be a factor. The rifle in your picture will weigh 9.3lbs without a scope. A Cetme = 9.68lbs, FAL = 9.79lbs, and G3 = 9.9lbs.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My dad's got that M1A scout in Synthetic. That's a sweet rifle, it's lighter, and is more comfortable (balanced) than any FAL/G3 (which are much more expensive) I've held. I pegged a bush the size of a bicycle at 300yds, standing, with iron sights, so it's gotta be accurate. I'd definitely go with an M1A. The only issue is magazines; you have to be carefull the manufacturer you get em from, and they're not cheap, unlike FAL Mags. If you like the AR-10 design, you might want to try a Bushmaster BAR-10. They take unmodified FAL mags, and you can get one around the same price used as an M1A.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know that the M1A Scout is about $1300 and I don't know of many other .308 that are more costly aside from the high end bolts and AR-10.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
An AR-10 will be about the same price as a M1A, as you said. But those JLD's are right there with em. It would be hard to find a really good FAL for under $800.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Years ago an AR-10 was my dream rifle but I didn't have the guts to plunk down a grand (and yes they had them for a grand back then.)

If money weren't an issue, I'd go with a SIG 540 (if I got the model right), that or a Galil. Or maybe an HAC-7.

For ones I have, I absolutely love the Saiga-308, and my G3 is pretty nice too. The G3 had some problems that I eventually fixed. The Saiga-308 had no problems but I felt the need to fix it anyway, so now it takes modified G3 mags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i love my winchester model 100...they are sort of hard to find(at least where i am), but they are worth the money. i have never had a problem with mine. its a 1962, the first model year and it works like its brand new.:full:

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
SkSForever, I have the M1A Springfield, The CETME and the FN-FAL STG58,
I love all 3 of them as far as firepower goes, but I will rank the M1A as the best as it is a National Match rifle and I put the action in a Fiberglass stock and it just feels GOOD !!! My friend Bill has 3 M1A's and an FN-FAL and he Likes the FAL the best due to its fine accuracy with a Steyr Hammer forged Barrel. Good luck on whatever you choose!
Rich

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Once in a while someone does price-gouge and another gets a good deal. That FAL I believe would be US made and extremely high quality.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts