What a rifle!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by calaper, May 27, 2008.

1. calaper

calaper G&G Addict

Hi all,

Just thought i would post this, because i can. I took my new Tikka t3 hunter out on the weekend for the first time. It's .243 win and might i just say that these are great great rifles! I used factory ammunition, 80grains and they grouped well under 1 inch at 100 yards, very similar story at 200yards.

With time and practice with my handloads i think getting this group even lower will easily be achieved. Thanks all, you got me on to a mighty fine rifle.

2. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Never seen a Tikka that wouldn't shoot good, glad to hear of your success!

3. Agree with Midas 100%

You really do own one of the truly great hidden treasures in the current marketplace. Congrats on your experience.

4. turner

turner Suspended

Tn
    Congrats! What kind of scope?

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I keep telling people about Tikka and Sako rifles! I've owned Sako's since 1976. I don't think there is another gunmaker that guarantees MOA out of the box, but I may be wrong.

6. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Weatherby guarantees that their Vanguard rifles are 1.5" or better at 100 yards. That's the closest to Tikka/Sako.

7. SwedeSteve

That's pretty good as well.

8. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Weatherby also has a "Sub-MOA" line of Vanguards.

9. SwedeSteve

What line would that be Toolman ?

10. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Yup. Seen many adds in American Rifleman saying as much.

11. calaper

calaper G&G Addict

I have a leupold vx1 4-12x40 on top, love the combo, shoots great.

I have also seen the vanguard sub-moa range, my mate has one. Shoots well but feels crappy and has a very rough action. My preference is obviously the tikka...ha! Also heard the other day that the sub-moa vanguards are just standards vanguards that manage to shoot sub-moa.

12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Did you use any breakin system and how did it clean after?(the bore)Just yrying to get some experienced answers for the breakin question. sam.

13. Yeah funny thing about the vanguard is it is a Jap rifle based on a Sako. So your right back to a proven design. Just more affordable. I also love Sakos and all their variants.

14. SwedeSteve

You just got to love that action!!

15. So would other ppl out there recommend the Tikka? I've been looking at getting one in 270.

16. SwedeSteve

Believe me, you'll be more than glad you did !!

17. calaper

calaper G&G Addict

I followed the breaking in procedure i found on the net, something Ron gave me i think. Clean after every shot till i did about 20 rounds then i shot 3 more...cleaned until no more build up.

18. SwedeSteve

Thats the same way I do it. As it is the way my Dad did it.

19. mackillan

mackillan G&G Newbie

I have 3 weatherbies and they dont shoot any better than a tikka let alone a Sako. These are all good guns