What are the repercussions, if any?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by GlockMeister, May 9, 2008.

1. As the title says, is or are there any repercussions of a civilian having, owning or using an optic that says Military/Law Enforcement Use Only? Example, an EoTech scope, any of the 55 series?

Could one of the few? Many? Police officer members give me a heads up please?

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. The only time I knew of that label made a difference was with the large capacity mags. Surplus stuff goes on the market all the time. I have know instances of departments buying things at a greatly reduced price, usually from the Feds, then reselling it at a mark up in order to buy something they really needed.

3. no it means nothing on eotechs , aimpoints, acogs trust me i have them all

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

It doesn't say Who's Military or Who's Law...So I would use it when I am Enforcing MY LAW's and the Constitution !!! LOL
    (which is pretty much all the time!:196:)

5. I have a friend who collects U.S. property colt 45's. Get ready for this he owns between 100 and 200 of them.
    He also has a lisense to own full auto weapons. He also collects Thompson machine guns.

He sold of a few of his Thompson collection to build a house a few years ago that cost around $150.000 to build.
    That's a lot of house here in So.Arkansas.
    He hasn't had any problems owning U.S. Goverment property yet, so I guess it's O.K
    I bought a Military/Police shotgun for my son from a dealer.

6. Then why do they bother to put it on stuff?

And Moose, I can relate. lol

7. soonerborn

soonerborn G&G Newbie

You can own any item stamped "US Government Property" as long as there is a reasonable way to explain how you come into possession of it. The government has at one time or still does make nearly everything available to the general public through DRMO auctions and such so its easy to explain nearly everything. I mean people own tanks, planes, boats and all kinds of stuff that was at one time obviously government property.

The only exception I have seen is MREs. The gov says it under no circumstances makes MREs available to the general public. They have sent letters threatening people selling them on Ebay and such auction sites. They still of course sell them but changed some wording or something.

8. They make MREs in San Antonio. You can buy straight from the company. Sterling Bakery sells 'defective' desserts, the labels are usually crooked or only partly show. They're pretty cheap if you want stuff for camping or hunting.

9. soonerborn

soonerborn G&G Newbie

Well there are some differences. Here is what wiki says.

Resale status

Each MRE is labeled:
    U.S. Government Property
    Commercial Resale is Unlawful
    However, there are no specific laws that forbid the resale of MREs [7], and although the government has attempted to discourage sellers from selling MREs[8], auction sites such as eBay have continued to allow auctions of the MREs because the Defense Department has been unable to show them any regulations or laws specifically outlawing the practice. According a spokesman for eBay, "until a law is passed saying you can't sell these things, we're not going to stop them from being sold on the site"[9]
    The recent growth of MREs listed on eBay (2005) has resulted in a government investigation of whether they were intended for Hurricane Katrina victims, and the news media nickname "Meals Ready for eBay."[10] Some cases are being sold from Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida and other Gulf states affected by Katrina. The internal cost of a 12 pack case of MREs is $86.98 (approx. $7.25 a meal) to the government, much higher than what is actually paid to vendors. Officials from eBay have asked the Pentagon to cite a law that prevents the sale of military issue MREs but have yet to receive an answer.[10] As a result of earlier unauthorized sales to civilians, the Department of Defense had required that "U.S. Government Property, Commercial Resale is Unlawful" be printed on each case of MREs.[11]
    That said, MREs can be purchased by civilians directly from the contractors who supply MREs to the U.S. Government. These MREs are very similar to genuine US Government MREs, differing only in minor details (i.e. design of case and bag or type of spoon).

Looks like its legal after all.

10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Heck, they sell them in the commissary. And I can give food I bought from the commissary as a "gift" to any civilian. So the point is? As soonerborn stated, you just have to have a plausible explanation.