Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 252 Posts

· Registered
10,646 Posts
tumbling my 10 mm brass. going to stuff them with Longshot and 200 gr. bullets.
my favorite .45 cap powder is Unique. I used to load 7.4 gr & a 200gr bullet for 1000 fps. I toned it down to 7.0 for a little less wear & tear on my pistols.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
sized & primed 194 10mm cases. loaded up some different weights of Blue Dot & Longshot loads. I'm looking for a hot load that doesn't cause me to "limp wrist" my EAA Witness causing it to jam. (the only problem with the 10mm Witness)

· Registered
10,646 Posts
today I shot the various 10mm trial loads I loaded the other night. 9.0 grs of Longshot under a 200 gr. bullet functioned perfectly and with some oomph! point of aim was good with the fixed sights too. :)I tried to shoot some more of the 200gr. XTPs loaded with 9.5 gr of Longshot that were giving recoil problems. I couldn't get through a half magazine (7 rds.) without having to clear a jam every other shot.:mad: so tonight when I got home, i pulled the remaining 40 XTPs and loaded them and a little over a hundred 200 gr. plated RNFP bullets over 9.0 grs of Longshot. now I need to get some media and tumble some brass.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
loaded up all the 300 Black Out brass I had that was primed. 100 with 125 gr SST & 18.3 grs of H-110. this is my standard hunting round. 50 with Hornandy 150 gr, S.P bullets & 17.7 gr of H-110 and 18 with 150 gr. R.N. bullets. the 150 gr. loads are for the Mini 14. it really likes 150 gr. bullets.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
filled 100 of those 300 BLK cases with 18.3 gr. of H-110 and topped with a 125 gr. SST for hunting. the other 240 also got 18.3 gr. of H-110 but with a 120 gr H.P. bullet for plinking. now I have to do another batch of brass for the 500 203 gr. Palmetto Projectile sub sonic bullets that should be arriving any day now. then I will shoot them all up and start over. a never ending cycle.:)

· Registered
10,646 Posts
found 132 pieces of 10mm brass in the tumbler so i loaded them up. they got got 200 gr. Xtreme plated RNFP bullets over 9.5 gr. of Blue Dot.
dumped all my fired 300 blk brass into the tumbler.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
since my last post on this thread, I loaded 250 super sonic 300 BLK rounds with 120 gr HP bullets and 18.3 gr. of H- 110, about 300 sub sonic 300Blk rds with 203 gr. Palmetto Projectile powder coated bullets over 10.5 gr. of A - 1680, about 3-400rds of 9x19, 100 with 124gr XTP and some with 124 gr cast bullets, and today I finished up 300 + 9x18 res. 100 wit6h 95 gr XTP and the rest with 95 plated RN bullets.
now to go to my range and burn some up!:D

· Registered
10,646 Posts
I haven't been on this thread for a while but I now have possession & use of one of my brother's Dillion RL 550. last night I finally got around to setting it up & loading some ammo for the first time with it. I have been loading all my ammo since 1980 on a Lyman Turret press and been happy with it.
so far I have mixed feelings about the Dillon. it is faster but I have un primed rounds that make it into the loaded bin. that I realize is probably my fault and will be overcome with experience. my main concern is with the powder measurer. it throws charges that vary + or - as much as .4 grains. I like to load at the top of the velocity data and this could get scary with some of my calibers. I quit using my ole faithful powder power dispenser & beam scale after seeing the variations when put on a digital scale. for the last 4 - 5 years I have been using a Hornandy digital scale and powder dispenser so every charge is hand weighted. now with the Dillon, I feel like I am making "sub standard" ammo. I would be afraid to load my 10mm and other magnum hand gun loads on it much less some of my rifle loads. my question to the other Dillon users here is ; how do you get consistent powder charges? do I have to find a better "metering" powder or is there a way to adjust the powder dispenser so it throws a more consistent charge?

· Registered
10,646 Posts
thanks for the tips runfiverrun. I'm guessing that the operating handle jarring is was a big part of the inconsistent charge problem. the press had been stored and was stiff. a little oil fixed that. this afternoon I test fired some of what I loaded last night. they all shot good and I really didn't notice much variation in noise or recoil. so I came home and cranked out another hundred rounds.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
For future reference.....
Can I load .223 on a Lee turret? Or do I need to get something like a Rock Crusher?
Thanks!
is the Lee turret press prone to breaking? I have an old Lyman turret press that I bought in 1980. it has loaded probably millions of all kind of rifle & pistol ammo with no problems. I still use it today.
turret presses are really handy and fast. if you have a Lee turret press, use it to load your .223s.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
I recently got a couple boxes of the new .30 Speer Gold Dot 150 gr. bullets. these are supposed to expand at lower velocities with the 300 Black Out in mind. while I am satisfied with the deadly 125 gr. SST for a deer/hog bullet, I figured I would try some of these in my Mini 14. in the past I have loaded other 150 gr. bullets and the Mini really liked the heavier bullets. (groups tightened up) so, I was going to load up a batch to try but when I went looking for the bag of a few hundred cases I knew I had, I couldn't find it anywhere! &^%$$%^^ I remembered they were ruined by sea water during the hurricane! so today I ordered 500 pieces of processed brass. thats as close to reloading as I have been in the last couple of weeks. lol

· Registered
10,646 Posts
I shot & chromed the ammo I loaded up the other day. they all shot good. I could only shoot at 25 yds but when I did my part, I got cloverleaf groups. I loaded some with 17.7 grs of H-110. this is my previous load for 150 gr. bullets and some with 18.0 grs of H-110. I don't think my chronograph was working right because previous data showed the same 150 gr. Hornandy SP loading going a lot faster than yesterday's data. and very little difference between the different powder charges. also the Magnetospeed chronograph wasn't registering all the shots in a string. I loaded up some more with the 18 gr. powder charge when I got home from the range and when it quits raining, I will go out and shoot them up. the Hornandy 150gr SP looks pretty close in shape to the more expensive Speer Gold Dot. the Hornandy is my go to deer bullet for my ,30/06 & .308 Win. loads so I have a few around. I loaded up a bunch of those to sight the Mini 14 in with and for plinking. I loaded some of the Gold Dots and they shot same as the Hornandys. I'll use them for hunting and if they preform as advertised, I'll dedicate the Mini 14 to them & 150 gr. bullets.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
between monsoons today I shot the 300 BLK loads with18 gr. of powder. I also put a new battery in my chronograph and it registered all the shots with velocities that were where they should be! they all averaged around 2000fps. my groups weren't as good as the other day's so I'm going to go back down to 17.7 gr. of H-110 and see if the groups tighten back up.
I threw a bunch of 10mm brass in the tumbler, I'll fill them up in a day or so.

1 - 20 of 252 Posts