Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
Last night I rolled 40rds of 243 testers, and tonight I did 20rds of 308 with a light charge of IMR4320 and 165gr BTSP. I doubt they'll be overly accurate, but they will let me shoot that rifl without taking a beating.

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I tumbled 200 44mag cases today. I still have 50 44 special cases to do and countless 38 special and 357mag cases. I found a box of Speer 158gr JSP .357 bullets today, so that will take care of a few loads.

EDIT: On that note, I rounded up all the 38s I could find and dumped them in the tumbler. I have even more cases back home at my parents' house. I'll be ordering five new die sets on Friday--38/357, 40/10mm, 44spcl/44mag, 30-30, and 340 Weatherby (to reload for my uncle). I will also be ordering a neck sizer for my 243 and a full length sizer for my 308. I have a ton of brass from my old 308, so I need to resize it all.

Reactions: jerry

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I'll be set up for 38's and 357 after today. I'm picking up some dies, Berry's bullets, and Accurate #5. I'll put some loads together tonight, probably.

EDIT: I decided to go with some 158gr hollow points from Rainier Ballistics. The price per bullet was a little cheaper.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
That 38spcl load seems to work for me. I'll load up some more tonight after work. I might do some magnums, too.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I cranked out another 50 rounds of 38spcl tonight. I'm really liking that Accurate #5. It meters so well I don't worry about the charge variance. I checked every throw on my RCBS balance last night with a couple throws not being perfect. I hope Blue Dot and H110 meter this well.

EDIT: Acc#5 seems to burn cleanly, too. There's unburnt powder similar to in my 22mag revolver, but very little soot. I'll have to pick up some copper solvent as I'm seeing copper residue on the rifling.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
As for my .243 adventures.
My boss and I have been doing these little trades, lost track of who is ahead, but it don't matter as long as we both get what we want.
My boss needed some red dot for experimentation, so I traded him a large medicine bottle of Red Dot and 20 once shot nickle plated 45 acp brass.
I got a large medicine bottle "about 3 oz" of Allient Pro Varmint, 10- 100 grain fmj's. Also 10 brass, and a Recipe from Allient for 100 grain.
Going to load them progressively up the scale for powder and give them a try this afternoon.
SO I will be comparing 2 different loads for coexistence with my current .243- scope combo at 300 to 400 yard.
Then, trying to work up a load with 10 shots, or less to try and do better than the other 2.
Well, got to get loading, got a lot to do today.
IMR7828 was a good powder for my 243. You just need magnum primers with it.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I made a makeshift shelft above my bench last night to see how I like it. I like it, so I'll make it pernament later.

I finish prepping the rest of my 38 brass last night. I deburred the mouths, primed, and flared 158 cases. I have 50 shells loaded up, and 49 cases ready to start the process all over again.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I loaded 158 38 specials tonight. I decided it was early enough to finally move to 357, so I did that. I sized, trimmed, primed, and flared 100 cases and, I loaded 50 rounds. In hindsight, I should have just seated all the bullets tonight and done the crimping tomorrow night.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I put together 50 more rounds of 38 special tonight. I'll need to buy more bullets soon, but I should be able to get another 1000 or more rounds out of this can of powder. I'm thinking of getting some wadcutters from Missouri Bullets. I'll have to get some pointed bullets for IDPA.

Just as I was finishing packing for my three day weekend, I came accross some factory loaded 38s and a bunch of brass for 38 and 357. The 38 brass is in the tumbler and will be run with whatever I shoot this weekend.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
IS that HBWC, DEWC, BBWC, or maybe even 158 grain semi-wadcutters?

I use 148 grain DEWC. I usually buy the plain ones with the two wax grooves, but lately I have been playing with some powder coated ones.
DEWC if that's double ended wad cutters. I haven't made up my mind, totally. I definitely will be getting some pointed bullets to load.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I ended up ordering non-coated 158gr semi wadcutters. They are the 12BHN for the 38.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
Any advice on loading 10mm for a Glock 20? I'm using Blue Dot powderMJs. I figure 10gr or so should be ok to start. Max according to Hornady's book is 10.7gr and roughly 1250fps. My Sig casings from their 180gr load have some slight bulging, but the Lee die seems to fix that right up.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
Why does everybody ask me these questions AFTER I lock up my reloading shed for the night?;)

Bulges? I hope we ain't talking the well known "Glock smilie". I was buying large amounts of 10mm brass from a police practice range when I lived in Illinois, and lots if not all of them used Glocks. I went and invested in a Redding GR-x carbide base sizing die kit and always ran all the brass from that range through it to get rid of those nasty bulges. It comes from the barrel not being fully supported, there is a small gap where the brass can expand past it. The video link I provided below explains it pretty well.

My brass doesn't look like that. It just looks a little swollen.

Now my P64 9x18mm with PPU, THAT leaves smiling brass :D

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I put together 100 rounds of 38's with 148gr hbwc and 150 rounds of 357 with 158gr swc. I used W231 for both. Just some plinkers.

Reactions: Dutch

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I have 280 rounds of 38spcl and 150 rounds of 357mag loaded up for the weekend. I'll be picking up some factory 44mag since I don't have those dies yet.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I need to put some 38s together tonight. I picked up some Berry's plated wadcutters for cheap to use. I think I'll start at load of 3.5gr of W231 powder.

·
<------------<<<-
4,455 Posts
I loaded up 50rds of plated 148gr DEWC over 3.5gr of W231, and 50rnds of Hornady Frontier 158gr SWC over 3.4gr of the same powder. Gonna try them tomorrow.

Reactions: Ron The Legend
1 - 20 of 166 Posts