close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

My guess the reason they call it the 38-40 would be the same reason they call a 44 Magnum a 44 Magnum when in reality it's a .429 caliber.

Here is a little history on the caliber from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38-40_Winchester

Jaison and Ten Man like this.
  2. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hope this isn't a hijack, but got a question:

I don't reload. Is it worthwhile to collect and ship the used cases for any of the folks that do?

If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to gather up the spents and get them shipped so they might be of use.

I'd save them, but it's gonna be a long while before I'm even remotely prepared to reload.

3. aht_six

aht_six G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Depending on the caliber of your brass, some of it is much more sought after than others. However, there is almost always somebody looking for even the most common sizes.

If you save it, I'm sure you'll find reloaders that would be delighted to take it off your hands. The brass from some of the less common calibers can actually be fairly valuable.

Jaison likes this.
  4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

It depends on what you are shooting.

If you want to get the widest audience for your brass, list it in the BRASS TRADER Forum.

Jaison likes this.
  5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I would basically take any caliber I shoot that WAS not .40 cal or 9mm. Them two I have too much of.

Jaison likes this.
  6. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the 38-40 is backwards it's a 40 cal bullet and 38grs of powder.
    it is in the 45 colt case size.
    45 colt, 44-40, 38-40.
    only the 45 colt was designed with a thinner and smaller rim to fit the revolvers.
    that's why you don't see any lever guns from back then.
    it wasn't until they re-designed the case and made the bullet diameter 452 instead of 454 that the lever guns were made.

the pair of Vaquero's I had were numbered 321 and 322
    or right close to that.
    I semi-remember it because my USFA rodeos are right at that same 320-323 range.
    I think I still have one of the little manila colored packages they used to include that had the fired case in it somewhere in the 'closet of stuff'.

Jaison likes this.
  7. rl69

rl69 G&G Evangelist

The little brown truck showed up today with my lee 9x18 case trimer. I converted almost a hundred 9 MM Luger cases to 9x18 Makarov.

I loaded 5 rounds with 2.6 GR of IMR 700X topped with 93 GR cast boolit. They functioned well grouped good but the outside of the cases had powder burns on the outside of the cases.

Bumped up the charge to near max 3.4 gr and made 20 rounds still had the powder burns on the hulls

What I'm thinking now is I need to resize a second time after I trim?

I'm shooting a CZ 82,nice little pistol, good weight, compact, as acurat as I am, which isn't saying a lot, verry dependable. The only down side it slings the cases. I managed to find 8 of the 20 rounds I fired

Jaison likes this.
  8. rl69

rl69 G&G Evangelist

It felt good to get back to the bench it been nearly a year sence if made any ammo

I spent two hours or so cleaning just so I would have enough room to load

Jaison likes this.
  9. runfiverun

soot is either pressure related or case fitment related.
    [most usually pressure related]
    you don't need to size them again.

I spent part of Saturday loading 55.8 boxes of 12 ga shells, I shot some of them Sunday.
    so I re-loaded the ones I shot again today and also done another batch with some AA hulls.
    I got 1250 of them boxed up today [50 boxes/5 flats] then run out of boxes.

Jaison likes this.
  10. aht_six

Loading .45 acp. Our combat league starts tomorrow night and I'm going to use my new 625 PC revolver. I'm using 200 grain Hi-Tek coated SWC's from Bayou Bullets. Its incredible how much cleaner the coated bullets are to shoot compared to the plain lead with wax ring lube.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Jaison likes this.
  11. runfiverun

wax ring is correct.
    most commercial casters use micro-wax with a touch of carnuba in it and some candle coloring.

Donny at Bayou is the North American distributor for Hi-Tek.
    he imports the stuff from Australia where it was invented and has been in use for almost 20 years now.
    well,,, the old 2 part version has been around that long.
    the new powder that just uses acetone as a carrier is only about 2 years old.

12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Tired of always running low on corncob cleaning media. Got in a 40 pound bag of the stuff yesterday. That ought to last me a lot longer.

Big Dog likes this.
  13. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I thought you used a wet setup?

14. runfiverun

the wet tumblers are at their best if augmented by a dry system.
    the dry stuff is used to remove case lube.
    and to apply the nu-finish to the cases.
    it's also useful to just put a quick shine on the not so dirty stuff your just gonna shoot again tomorrow.

Jaison likes this.
  15. runfiverun

ah jeez I forgot what thread this was till after I posted.

I switched shot shell loaders to #3 and swapped it back over to the green-dot load from the titewad load and got 1-K Rio hulls knocked out today.

I swapped wads and hulls to the brass based Estate hulls. [next batch of 1-K tomorrow]
    they take the same powder and primer as the Rios and I use the same crimp adjustments.
    all I need to change is the 8 point crimp in for the 6 point starter or vise versa.
    eventually I will run out of the wads I use in the Rio hulls and i'll change them over to the same exact load as the brass estates.

the tin plated paper base Estates are the same hull as the Federal top guns are.
    so I throw them together and use the titewad powder and a federal wad.

I have a couple of other loads for other hulls but for some reason they all shoot the same amount of shot at the same speed just use different components to get there.

I should probably just swap the other Ponsess 900 back to 12 ga and set it up for the titewad load to simplify things.

Jaison likes this.
  16. MikeWA

MikeWA G&G Evangelist

One of my son's friends was over to visit and asked some questions about reloading.
    I took a clean fired case and ran it through a single stage press, all steps for him. Takes about 20 times as long for a single cartridge, swapping dies on the old 7/8-14.
    I told him the next time he's over we'll crank out a bunch on the 550B.

Palladin8 and Jaison like this.
  17. runfiverun

if I'm showing someone how to load a few shells I just set the dies up in different presses then I can explain each step.
    i'll flip around in the swivel chair and size a case or two then show them how to measure for length.
    then show them the trim length in the book laying on the bench.
    then wipe the lube off while we are talking.
    i'll show them how to trim if necessary or just show them how I would do it.
    then on to priming and explain the depth and such.
    after I completely load a couple of rounds for them to hold, I have them do a couple and talk them through each step repeating what I said the first time.
    this gives them a chance to 'feel' what I'm saying.
    and it makes things go smooth without a bunch of fidgeting about with the dies and such.

Ten Man likes this.
  18. runfiverun

getting close on the shot shell stuff.
    I got 8 more flats of AA's loaded and boxed.
    it took forever for me to box them yesterday, I don't really care for the new hulls.
    for some reason American hull lengths are all over the place.
    the STS hulls are still good and the federal brass head plastic base hulls are okay.
    the gold medal hulls sometimes have an issue with the hull getting cut right above the brass head.

I'm about ready to stick to the foreign made hulls at this point.

Jaison and aht_six like this.
  19. aht_six

Cleaning out all the brass and bullets I don't have need for anymore. Getting a bunch of WSSM brass ready sell.

My new Hornady 10th edition and Lyman 50th edition arrived today. I think I need to try out the new Hodgdon Superformance powder in the 6.5 Creedmoor and .300 WSM.

20. aht_six

I think Winchester has now remedied the issues with their AAHS hulls. I haven't loaded any of the AAHS hulls in 12 ga recently, but I very please with new 28 ga AAHS hulls I've been reloading.

My favorite hulls are the Remington STS, they reload great and seem to last about forever.