What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Worked great. SWC bullet worked very well in 1911. Clean, giving acceptable accuracy. Headed out to see if new alloy and new load work in 38 caliber revolvers. Have a Happy Forth. Do not get into trouble with the fireworks! Take care and be safe.

jerry likes this.
  2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA

Moroco Mole likes this.

3. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

^^^^
    If I do another 9 It will probably be a Glock:rolleyes: build. Never owned a Glock because of the grip angle and trigger. The build kits have a 1911 type grip angle. Besides I like to tinker.

Rocky7, jwrauch and jerry like this.
  4. jerry

USA
    Oh yeah, that grip. I had to force myself to figure it out. What I found is if I got as high up on it all as possible, I was only using 1/3rd of the grip, which was kinda the upper useable portion. The rest I cover up real estate with the support hand for friction.

Then, I found myself choking up a bit higher on everything else. Which helped in most cases, but nothing’s perfect.

At the end of the day, that damned Glock grip at least taught me something.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

Moroco Mole likes this.
  5. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    We still feel like crap. Did shoot some yesterday. Today I kinda dragged around.Loaded kitty litter in exchange for lunch from kinfolks today.

Getting something positive did improve the mood. I finished lubing and sizing my bullets. Commenced to load doing another one hundred thirty rounds in this run. The most recent 550 runs better than the old machine. I plan on shooting my 19 Smith mainly double action. Not only for accuracy but for reliability. I had problems yesterday with misfires. Probably due to too high primers. Worked on that today. Take care and stay safe.

jerry likes this.
  6. Moroco Mole

Throwing some aluminum gas checks on some 30 caliber bore riders.

jerry likes this.
  7. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Deburred 700+ 9mm yesterday. May work on the 400+ .45ACP’s.

8. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    We spend time prepping brass. Sometimes, it's a serious time. Finished four hundred or so 38 Special rounds last night. It r grains of 231 and a WC bullet cast in a Lyman mold-358091. Shooting the first run of this combo went very well. I plan to shoot a revolver in the next several of our informal matches. One task is find speed loaders for K frame Smith's. I just finished my turn pulling saw briars. Those things will make you a believer in heavy duty herbicides.

jerry likes this.
  9. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Finished off the .45’s this afternoon.

jerry likes this.
  10. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    The Blue Press: I'm reading over the most recent Blue Press. On page 38 is the second part of the article on precision reloading on a 550. There is some data on the 550 progressive versus a single stage RCBS RCII on maintaining uniform seating depth. Also covered is use of a Dillon fixed powder die and funnel to measure charges with scales. Several of us have been working on this lately. Blue Press is where the skinny girls rule!

jerry likes this.
  11. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I really got into reloading today. Got plans to shoot next week on three days. I got the Thompson SWC bullet cast. That the 155gr, gas check bullet finished out for a test run. Plans are to do some Skeeter level +P 38 caliber loads. As you may be able to tell, I'm having a great time.

I have all but given up on the Lee 45 caliber bullets. There is no desire here to add another learning curve. Those bullets are great but not compatible with what I got here. Will be also working up some bullets for the 45-90 Pedersoli. A 550 is already set up for 38 Special. It's high performance ammo for the Smith revolvers. The first WC batch worked great save the high primers. Got the Star sizer working very well.

jerry and Huey Rider like this.
  12. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

loaded up 214 .40 S&W with 200 gr. plated bullets and 6.9 gr of Blue Dot.

jerry likes this.
  13. Moroco Mole

Just Organizing the bench a bit.

jerry likes this.
  14. quavodus

quavodus G&G Enthusiast

Moss,Tn.
    Planning on loading some .38 Special in a few days. Not much time anymore because of work and everything else. Need to order some 9mm dies soon too.

jerry likes this.
  15. jerry

USA
    Working on .32 SW long and .32 HR mag. Need to fill out the back page of the blue press and order some more .32 mag brass.

So it begins. Meh, a couple hundred will be okay for brass, yeah right.

May be a tool head set up for the 550 in the future? I dunno, single stage is okay, but sometimes it’s a chore and just want it done.

Mowgli T. and blaster like this.
  16. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    We got up this morning with a scare. Basically the new phone was the problem with kin folks. Next I headed out for the Ace Hardware. An old Lyman Mold Master pot had a bad plug and the insulation crackled unwinding the thing. Ace had replacements. Also, got lag screws and washers to remount a Lyman 4500 sizer. Figured out how to seat gas check on the Lee 45 Colt bullets. I'm looking at a Lee Sizer and Lee liquid lube. Taking a break after finishing up twenty 38 Special +P rounds for the house. From now on through the day it's things I need to do. No more dawdling...it's get to work.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    jerry and austinjoe13 like this.
  17. tnmedic

tnmedic G&G Evangelist

I haven't done anything in months on the bench, did get all the stuff to reload lead bullet 357 mag for the henry rifle and the ruger revolver, gp100 4 inch. Gathering supplies for 308 win and 9mm luger. Got some brass finally for the winny but still no bullets, powder, or primers as of yet, not many lgs carry anything reloading so I am have to work with and wait on midsouth shooters since I can drive by and pick up the stuff I order when they have it in stock.

Got some brass ordered from @Brother Bob but have powder, 3 pounds or so of w231 and still have some small pistol primers so now to find some bullets. Anyway I saw who started this thread and it made me a little sad that Gandy is gone for a while it feels like now.

jerry and goat roper like this.
  18. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Loaded up 20 6.5X55 Swedes . Haven't been doing a lot of shooting or handloading lately. Used the same load : 120 gr Speer Core Lokt and IMR 4895 as this group fired @ 90 yds from one of my builds . IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1053.JPG IMG_1053.JPG

ChaZam, goat roper, jerry and 4 others like this.
  19. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    38 Special: I did get to shoot some of my reloads today. The WC target loads did very well. I was pleased with the +P 38's. Came home and commenced to pull bullets from culls from the last session reloading 38 Special.

Working on the muzzle loaders was cancelled when shooting partner fell in his yard. He got dinged up enough to be down for several days. I still got a bunch more bullets to pull. These others came from some time back. Take care and be safe.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  20. jerry

USA
    With the current lag in component availability, looking at dusting off the MEC loaders for 20 and 12 ga just to pull a handle.

Also looking like cap and ball and hawken .50 may see more use to make bang bang. I don’t see a bounce back from this soon. Loosely predicting 18 mo - 2 yrs