What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I'm all caught up on my loading for now. that will change when a box of 10mm brass from Brother Bob comes in the mail. I also managed to order a 4 lb. jug of Long Shot and 500 .40 180 gr. HST bullets and I have plenty of large pistol primers. so guess what I'm doing next on the reloading bench?:D

ChaZam, Moroco Mole, K75RT and 2 others like this.
  2. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

Man:( I was wanting you to be my Guinea Pig before I loaded up my PC 180's with H110. Then shot them thru my gun. If something went wrong it would be better you then me.:pLOL

Practice rounds, If I was looking at a full jug of blue dot and a diminishing pound of 110.I would save the H110 for business, and proven rounds and use the Blue dot instead also. Same reasson I use a lot of Red Dot, got like 8 lbs of the stuff and it just keeps going and going. Used to have 12lb. I have developed a couple decent Red Dot loads for everything that I load for.

My H-Universal is diminishing, and it is my primary 38+p and higher velocity .357 powder, what I call my business loads. I have only one load I use for hunting developed with H110.
    So time to get out the H110 and get some more high end .357 loads developed.

ChaZam, TXplt and austinjoe13 like this.

3. redcaddy51

redcaddy51 G&G Evangelist

I'm running 9 mm right now, 115 Gr. JHP / Universal, about 2500. Having trouble finding Small rifle primers, trying to get enough to run 3000 .223, anybody have a viable source?

ChaZam and TXplt like this.
  4. quavodus

quavodus G&G Evangelist

I sized and primed about 500 9mm cases today. I ordered 1000 115 gr. cast but, I got a email that it might be 4 to 6 weeks till I get them.

Rocky7, ChaZam and TXplt like this.
  5. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

NW PA
    Looking for something in my filing cabnet where I keep my reload stuff I found 200 165gr 40sw bullets guess I will do those when the 9mm's are done since I'll be using the same powder,primers and shell carrier

ChaZam, TXplt and austinjoe13 like this.
  6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Puzzle me this batman...
    Question for you girls and boys who have some experience with the CCI line of primers. On their web page they list 31 different numbers for various primers.

Then way down near the bottom of the page I find this listing for their No. 300 primer. On the box it says "Large Pistol Primers", yet below that it says "Standard Rifle/Pistol Primer .300".

The very next item says on the box "Small Pistol Primer No. 500" and below that it says "Standard Rifle/Pistol Primer .500".

Is CCI saying that their large pistol primer #300 is satisfactory for loading large rifles too if they are standard calibers and not magnums? Are they also saying that their #500 Small Pistol Primer is also suitable for loading standard caliber non magnum small rifles? Or is that info clearly a typo, or misinformation, or am I misinterpreting what I see in print?
    https://www.cci-ammunition.com/reloading/primers/

20200803_003403.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Rocky7 likes this.
  7. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have a .224 Valkyre and my son has a 6.5 Grendel. We shoot the rifles at 1,000 yards on our local 1 mile range. The .224 V is amazing with the 90 grs bullets. We begin our shots at 600 yds. :usa2:

ChaZam likes this.
  8. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I never noticed that before but it looks to me like it is in reference to the actual size of the primers. without going down to my reloading room and putting the calipers on some primers, all small primers are .300 in diameter and all large primers are .500 ? or could it be the height of the primer cup instead of the diameter?

Jim Bridger, ChaZam and Rocky7 like this.
  9. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I think I’ve hit it here before. I LOVE blue dot with cast .357 loads. They shoot great. The pressure “feels” just right. Not violent like H110 (not that there is anything wrong with that)
    Not .38 special feeling like loading with faster powders. Just right in the sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

austinjoe13 and ChaZam like this.
  10. quavodus

quavodus G&G Evangelist

I don't think theres a decimal point there. There's a period after no. which means number. They're not .300 and .500 diameter. That would be .300, three hundred thousanths and .500, five hundred thousanths.

ChaZam, Rocky7 and blaster like this.
  11. quavodus

quavodus G&G Evangelist

I've used small rifle primers like CCI 500 for light .223 loads. Sort of on the line of .22 Hornet loads in .223 cases. And I've used CCI 400 in heavy .357 Magnum loads.

12. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Agreed, it can't be a reference to physical size because .500 would be 1/2 inch.
    Also on the website following these 2 products with curious descriptions are "Small Rifle Primer No. 400" and then "Large Rifle Primer No. 200"...
    20200803_093649.jpg

And then if I click on "Large Pistol Primers No. 300" I get these conflicting details under Specs. (Bullet style = Large Rifle and Type= Large Pistol)
    20200803_094131.jpg

13. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

I spent 3+ hours yesterday sitting on the couch watching Pale Rider and Shooter while depriming and sizing around a 1000 rounds of 9mm brass!

14. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yes it is a primer depth/height issue. I run progressive presses for reloading. These machines have very accurate primer feeders. Primers by CCI and Federal can and do stick in the feeder tubes. I prefer the Winchester primers for progressive loaders. CCI and Federal are better for worn brass pockets reloading in my standard loading presses.:)

K75RT and blaster like this.
  15. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

I have, used CCI pistol primers in me single shot rifle, no issues. Also used rifle primers in my single action revolver. In a pinch.
    I believe I remember reading in a CCI publication. The rifle primers are made same size but thicker, for Rifles that are rougher on the primer, like Ar 15's, or a rifle you are going to be cycling quickly. The Pistol designation are ok to use in Bolt action and single shot rifles but it is not recommended in levers or semi auto's.
    Also that the rifle primers are thicker and may cause light strike type issues semi auto pistols, and certain double action revolvers.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

ChaZam likes this.
  16. quavodus

quavodus G&G Evangelist

CCI had or have the hardest primer cups in the business. I used to load CCI 200 primers in .30-30 and fired them in a Marlin 336, and sometimes got missfires because the firing pin would barely dent the primer. Also I've heard that some of the first .357 Magnum ammo had small rifle primers.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  17. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

NW PA
    So do any of you guys start getting brass ready set it aside and then a few weeks /months later find it and realize you completely forgot all about it. I did (lol) I was out working on 9mm and moved a shop towel and found close to 300 .223 that have been sized and primed. Guess they are getting added to the list

rando and austinjoe13 like this.
  18. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Been spending time on the water with my sons, catchin' catfish. So most of my time lately has been boat and fishin' stuff.

Have had some afternoon and evening thunderstorms lately, so I decided to get some reloading done. Loaded about 250 rounds of 9mm Luger with HS-6 and 115 grain FMJ bullets. Have plenty loaded already, but it keeps my hands busy.

19. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

got my 10mm brass shipment from Brother Bob yesterday. I de primed, flared, re sized and re primed them. then I loaded up 50 of them with A #9 & 180 gr. HST bullets.

rando, Huey Rider and K75RT like this.
  20. quavodus

quavodus G&G Evangelist

Still waiting on my **** bullets.