What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

I cleaned up 35 pieces of 25-06 brass yesterday. I was given about 100 270win cases the other day. I don't own a 270, but it looks like people have made 25-06 out of the brass. If my 25-06 brass inventory gets low, I should still be good!

rando, neophyte and Moroco Mole like this.
  2. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

Just realized my Lyman cast bullet book had some loads for H110 and .357, with cast and cast-checked bullets.
    Think it is time to load up some PC'd 357 hot loads.

neophyte and austinjoe13 like this.

3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

Austin.
    270's makes perfect brass for the 25-06.
    it's a longer case so it allows you to match your neck length to your rifle.

rando, neophyte and austinjoe13 like this.
  4. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

took a batch of 10mm brass out of the tumbler this morning.

rando and neophyte like this.
  5. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

250--223 done ready to shoot
    200 40sw preped and read for final assembly
    250 44mag preped and ready for Final assembly
    150 357mag preped and ready for final assembly
    20 257roberts preped and ready
    15 260rem preped and ready

rando, TXplt, neophyte and 1 other person like this.
  6. quavodus

quavodus G&G Evangelist

Getting ready to load a few 9mm's. Found a few 130 gr. RN that a friend swaged and I forgot I had them.

neophyte likes this.
  7. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Loaded about 60 rounds of 9 mm Luger. 115 gr. FMJ over 6.8 gr. HS-6. Switched to CCI primers, because I ran out of Winchester primers.

neophyte likes this.
  8. quavodus

quavodus G&G Evangelist

Primers are hard to get right now most places. I got a bunch of small rifle and large rifle but, not a lot of small pistol.

TXplt likes this.
  9. Loaded 250 .38 Special using a cast 150gr bullet; sized, decapped and wet tumbled about 300 .44 S&W Special brass...

blaster likes this.
  10. austinjoe13

I have 50 pieces of Hornady 308 brass prepped and ready to load

11. austinjoe13

Those 308 brass are about to get a dose of H4895. I just emptied my jug into the measure, and I'm hoping I have enough...

rando and blaster like this.
  12. austinjoe13

308’s got done earlier today. A run to the local powder shop yielded no more H4895, but they did have IMR4895. So, I thought I’d better get that to burn up instead. I’ll save the H4895 for ladder testing hunting loads.

rando, TXplt and Moroco Mole like this.
  13. Moroco Mole

Was going to work up some other 357 loads. But, been a hard night at work and just do not feel like spending all day tomorrow testing loads.... Would rather just load up some rounds, then go shooting.

Planing , loading the last of the .357 Speer type half jackets a friend gave me, a while back.Later today, over some H110 and a magnum primer.
    Had forgot all about them, after I got the load developed and took some hunting once.
    Had the load worked up for a while, using some WW-296 but I am out.So H110.

The 2 powders are close enough and the load is well in the safe zone for H110 using published data, or at least that is what my notes said.
    Just found the rest of the bullets yesterday, with the recipe, and notes. Have some pre primed 357 brass. I found with them and enough other to get them all loaded up.
    These things will bust a yote wide open. Planing on going for squirrel in a yote infested area next month. I figured now would be a good time to assemble some, and use the .357 as my carry.
    Get done with those I will turn the bullet seating die down a bit and load up some H-universal under wad cutters for a trip to the range.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    TXplt likes this.
  14. austinjoe13

50rds more of 357mag with the 158gr Missouris over Blue Dot.

TXplt likes this.
  15. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I decided to try some IMR4064 for some 223 loads yesterday.
    I bought an 8 pound jug of is about a month ago because it is usable in every centerfire caliber I own. But I had not actually tried if it for 223 loads yet. I recall I had some 1 pound cans of that which I figured I should use first.
    So, way in the back I saw a steel can of it that I had forgotten about. Smelled OK, looked OK so I dumped some in my powder measure. I didn't get far. Right away, I see red dust floating in the air. Dang! but the inside of the can and rusted up and mixed all through the powder.
    I cleaned out my powder measure and blew it out. Then I took the powder outside to dispose of it. Dumped it into a cone and lit it with a propane torch (It was dusk). This stuff burned very differently. It took about a minute to consume it all. Lots of flame and heat. No smoke and burned evenly and progressively across the pile. Interesting to watch. Pistol powders just go faster and faster until consumed.

Alas! There's about 280 cartridges I won't be able to load. Good thing I bought some fresh stuff. And the other pounders are plastic cans and not very old.

Huey Rider likes this.
  16. Moroco Mole

I make my own, I prefer a bit softer bullet, Sized at .3585
    I had used their regular 158 grain lubed bullet. Before I got into casting and sizing. With pretty good results.[​IMG]
    The .357 revolver seams to really love that shape and weight, out of .357 brass. Kind of wander if that is a Elmer Keith design?
    But I hear their High Tech coated ones are the cats meow, for those cats, who do not cast and size.
    [​IMG]https://missouribullet.com/results.php?pageNum_rsCWResults=2&category=5&secondary=16
    Stole the pics from there website.

cooker300, TXplt and Huey Rider like this.
  17. Moroco Mole

Never thought much of using that for .223. Just can not get past 335 for that. Have been guided thru a few pet loads, fitting size and oal to the rifle, and using 6064 for the 30-06 by Runfiverun. Extremely accurate!
    It does not seam to have that slam, but still has the push. Has played well for me with gas checked lead cast bullets for the 06.
    Course you probably already know that.
    Might have to work up a 223 load with it and a gas checked powder coated cast bullet one day, could be interesting. I have a recipe with a safe starting load back from someone who claims to have accomplished cycling and 6moa with it, just need to get to it one day .

Got my .357 half jacket H110's and some H universal wadcutters loaded up a little bit ago.
    Now just have to get to the range Test a few of the Half jackets, then me and the boy can have fun shooting bowling pins, and low flying clays, with the wadcutters, I just loaded.
    I love the red dot wadcutter loads for the bowling pins, they do not seem to tear them up so much.

Huey Rider, Junction15 and jerry like this.
  18. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Sized and primed some .32 HR Mag brass. Finally found someone on MeWe who had some for sale. Thanks @ BigDogBrass

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

K75RT and Moroco Mole like this.
  19. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Actually, this is the first that I have tried IMR4046 for 223. I had used it previously for 308 Win and 3006 - but found I like 4350 better for those. In truth, I have reloaded very little for any rifle loads because decent ammo had been so cheap and i don't shoot them a lot (99% of my shooting is normally handgun calibers) But times they are a-changing.
    I bought the 4064 because it seemed like it would be versatile - and there weren't many other choices - and price was pretty good (comparatively speaking)
    My first batch was fired off yesterday along with some CFE223 loads. 60gr bullets. Neither loads were very good so I'm trying the different bullet weights that I have on hand. At this point, I'm seeking 2MOA from my rifles, due to upcoming 3-gun matches. I had been using Winchester ammo but can't find it right now, so I bought some Federal 100 rd bulk box stuff. It's horrible in both my 3-gun rifles. 8" at 100 yds while the Winchester ammo gives me 2" or less. I'm using Vortex SpitfireAR prism optics which are 1X
    None of our shoots have been more than 100 yards and usually are 50 or less. So I don't need the utmost in accuracy, although I will certainly not be disappointed to find it. I am shooting offhand at the 50 yd targets, which is normally just fine. 8" groups off the bench at 100 is too big a group fired offhand at 50. I'm no long-range precision shooter but I can do a lot better than that.
    So now I am loading 50 gr (yup! 50! ya never know although I doubt it and it isn't the 40 gr that I have too), 55 gr, 69, and 75 with the IMR 4064. Then the same with CFE223, and then again with BL C(2).
    If that don't work, then I'll break open some M855 and hope they don't have steel targets this time. Those shoot 1" or less at 100 for me.

20. Moroco Mole

Looks like you are in for some work. Playing the balancing act with your gas operated rifle.
    Using different powders, bullet weights and so forth, then you are used to.

For me loading is a hobby in itself. I only plink, hunt, and go to an occasional open match or fun shoot. Not the shakiest gun in the west, but no where near having the ability to do what you do.

For you it is serving a purpose, and needs to get done so you can get down to business. Must add a level of frustration to something that otherwise can be a fun, relaxing, rewarding part of your sport.

Hope you find your combo with out burning up a bunch of resources and time.
    Best of luck.

Junction15 likes this.