Gun and Game Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 2758 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
I have over many decades reloaded many types of ammunition. My reloading began when I was 12 years old. I had a Spfld Trap Door rifle. My dies were crude made in a shed on the old place. My Black Powder was misappropriated from a local mine. The bullets were poured from wheel weights. It all began a life long pursuit . I have 9 crimpers and can produce all manner of bullets. The Dillon press are progressive. The little orphan Lee Turret is for test loads before they go to the progressive presses.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Swaged some 9mm primer pockets.

Put a second coat of tung oil on my Garand stock and reassembled everything.

The finish had turned black and tacky so I used some finish remover to clean it off. Then just gave it two coats of tung oil. I think it came out fine.

View attachment 158589 View attachment 158590

What finish remover did you use? Looks great.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
just an FYI for anyone reading this.
carbide rifle dies still need lube.
they are carbide so that they last longer for the high volume loaders.
THank You, THank You,
Thank you for catching that. Missed something in my schooling.
I was wrrrrrrrrrrong to insinuate that Carbide rifle dies do not need lube.
Never was really sure about that.I learned something today.
Most of my pistol dies are carbide and I never use lube to size and de prime with those.
Most of my rifle dies are not Carbide.
Only have 1 carbide rifle sizing die, and I use lube with it anyway. Good thing I never tried it without.
Corrected that post. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Swaged some 9mm primer pockets.

Put a second coat of tung oil on my Garand stock and reassembled everything.

The finish had turned black and tacky so I used some finish remover to clean it off. Then just gave it two coats of tung oil. I think it came out fine.

View attachment 158589 View attachment 158590
Nice I would leave it just like that. She is a handsome lady.

·
<------------<<<-
3,866 Posts
I picked up a pound of Blue Dot today, and I also found some 5.56 brass that looks to be Lake City brass.

·
<------------<<<-
3,866 Posts
I thinks somebody might have some .44 magnum 240 grain. Over 15 grain, or so Blue dot, light loads in mind.☝
Define light 😂

My thought was mainly 357 and 10mm, but I’ll turn it to 44’s eventually.

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wet tumbled 1,000 brass .380 cases my son ordered for me for Christmas. Just got'em yesterday. After I dried'em, I sorted'em by headstamp. 480+ were S&B 9mm Makarov, and not .380ACP. I'll contact the seller tomorrow and have him to correct this.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I can use those Makarov cases. Care to trade or sell them?
Well, I goofed. The first few I checked said S&B 9mm Makarov, so every S&B I saw after that, I chucked in the tub for them. Turns out there were a few 9mm Makarovs and a bunch marked 9mm Br.c.. So I figured it wasn't .380 AUTO. I told my son about it, and he contacted the seller. Then he sent me a webpage that showed S&Bs headstamps. Turns out that the Br.c. is actually .380 AUTO. I think out of 1,000 there were only about 8, 9mm Makarovs. Sorry. However, I did learn something today. And for a 70 year old, that ain't bad.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, I goofed. The first few I checked said S&B 9mm Makarov, so every S&B I saw after that, I chucked in the tub for them. Turns out there were a few 9mm Makarovs and a bunch marked 9mm Br.c.. So I figured it wasn't .380 AUTO. I told my son about it, and he contacted the seller. Then he sent me a webpage that showed S&Bs headstamps. Turns out that the Br.c. is actually .380 AUTO. I think out of 1,000 there were only about 8, 9mm Makarovs. Sorry. However, I did learn something today. And for a 70 year old, that ain't bad.
Good news. Who did you buy you brass from? I assume the seller has more 9mm Makarov brass

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
wandered around the sportsmans for a bit.
finally found a box of federal 209 primers hiding behind some large pistol primers they had sitting there.
then i talked with one of the workers i know pretty well as he stocked some powder on the shelves.
after eyeballing it all i seen nothing i wanted, and grabbed 2 boxes of speer 150gr. 303 bullets, so i don't have to waste some of the [unobtanium] sierra jackets i have making them.

·
<------------<<<-
3,866 Posts
I’m working on 100rds of 357mag. 158gr SWC over Blue Dot!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Been looking at that Frankfort Arsonal universal depriming tool. Or equivelancey.
None of my presses have a hollow ram and I end up finding primers all over the house for 2 days after I deprime.( Lead exposure?)
I have saw the loader rigs and work arounds, even tried a few. None of them impress me.
I like to deprime in a separate step any way. I really do not think with my arthritis I would have enough grip to handle a Lee hand press that sizes and deprimes with a standard die.
Welcome any suggestions or reviews.
The Lee hand press I use in the RV when we travel and I just sit around. I use it on the 300 BLK and handgun calibers. But it is hard if you try to size rifle calibers and I have hand issues as well. If I want to use it for rifle calibers when I travel, I just size them at home and later just use the press for the seating and crimping. The hand press is also handy if you have a lot of time and just want to load 5 at a time while at the range to chronograph or test for various reasons.

Also, I use the Lee Factory Crimp die on nearly every thing. I started with it on the 400 Corbon which has a very short neck, later I just found it was great and bought it every time I added a caliber, especially for anything going through a semi auto. Just too easy for that extra margin of safety.

2501 - 2520 of 2758 Posts