Gun and Game Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 2761 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

·
<------------<<<-
3,866 Posts
100rds of 44mag tonight. The last 30 300gr XTP’s are loaded over H110. The other 70 rounds are cast 240gr SWC over H110 to fill out a 100rd box. Bedtime.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Tired of not being able to get any .223 bullets. I have plenty of hunting-defense loads back, but nothing for plinking.
So taking the leap into shooting powder coat cast bullets in the AR15.
Ordered an Arsenal moulds 225 61 "Elvis" custom to cast at .224. That particular mould is designed and developed for Powder coating and shooting out of a semi auto .223.
Then I realized, All my handles are either pin fastened or Lyman type. Arsenal takes lee pro 6 cavity handles.I have no handles for it. So ordered those but I had to pay an extra $5 for them because only one place had them, and could guarantee delivery.
headed out tomorrow to get some more IMR 4064
It never ends.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Loaded another 100 or so, .380 Auto rounds. Checked for primers at the local gun shop today and they want $129.00 per 1,000.

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
Loaded another 100 or so, .380 Auto rounds. Checked for primers at the local gun shop today and they want $129.00 per 1,000.
We had a Big primer shortage during the Clinton years. The crooked dealers ask hugh prices. Primers once more flooded the market. Many of these crooks were stuck with their high priced primers.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
that was when Klinton was closing down four of the five lake city plants, and every one was having an aneurysm about 223 brass and small rifle primers.
that bled over to just about every thing else.
then when he banned the Chinese ammo, and guns, it really set things off.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I resized .38 Spcl and .40 S&W brass today so I can prime them in my car tomorrow while my daughter is at her soccer practice.
LOL, that sounds nuts. Thought I was the only guy to do that. I set up a briefcase that has a Lee hand press, a hand primer, then just add the dies, powder, brass and bullets for that event. I use it mostly for pistol cases and use the Lee dippers if actually loading. I keep it in the RV a lot. One tip, they do not like for you to cast bullets in state park campgrounds, not sure why, probably that lead splatter on the concrete pad under the table or maybe they just do not like the hot lead in the campgrounds. I just like to use their electricity for the lead pot. Need to do some 38 and 357 myself.

Reactions: Huey Rider

·
Registered
147 Posts
Let me tell you of a great job! Security Guard! I once got this job and was assigned to an office building at night with the break room next door to my desk. There was a high counter so you couldn't see anything below my neck unless you leaned over. I'd make coffee and mix it with the cocoa that was offered for free. My job was to sit at that desk and every so often walk around and shake door knobs. Sometimes I'd go outside for fresh air. As soon as the last employee left, I walked to my car and carried in a box full of reloading supplies. I separated cases and bullets by weight and bagged them up. Then, I started turning the necks and primer pockets. I had a lot of brass and blemished bullets to do. And, I was getting paid while doing it. Ah, that was a great job.

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
I resized .38 Spcl and .40 S&W brass today so I can prime them in my car tomorrow while my daughter is at her soccer practice.
My son is a LEO. They have barrels of .40 S&W brass. My SIG P 229 has barrels for the .357 SIG, 9mm Luger and .40 S&W. The .40 S&W and the .357 SIG are my favorites. The ,40 S&W can run thru my Dillon press with the .357 SIG dies and produce .357 SIG caliber as well.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My 4 reloaders live out in the the garage under covers when not in use. Pulled the covers off and the dirt daubers and other bees had filled in any and all open holes on each of them. Dug out the dirt with a piece of wire and Q tips then squirted WD40 in them that'll hopefully discourage their return this summer. I'll check them over again and then drag'em into the house for my winter reloading hobby. Had to reassure the wife that no bees would be brought into the house, she freaks' out at the thought.

·
<------------<<<-
3,866 Posts
My Lee hand press finally came today. It definitely takes some oomph to size the 44’s, 38’s aren’t bad.

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
My 4 reloaders live out in the the garage under covers when not in use. Pulled the covers off and the dirt daubers and other bees had filled in any and all open holes on each of them. Dug out the dirt with a piece of wire and Q tips then squirted WD40 in them that'll hopefully discourage their return this summer. I'll check them over again and then drag'em into the house for my winter reloading hobby. Had to reassure the wife that no bees would be brought into the house, she freaks' out at the thought.
A little automotive grease in those holes should keep the daubers out.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My Lee hand press finally came today. It definitely takes some oomph to size the 44’s, 38’s aren’t bad.
I use mine on 380, 38, 44 spec and 44 mag 45 Colt, 300 BLK and have used it to load 45-70 all when traveling, mostly camping. Not for big batches but it is handy. We have a porch swing, I used it on about 100 380 recently while sitting in the swing watching the sun go down. They are a handy tool.

Those dirt dobbers can get into anything, find them under the hood, roof of the garage, everywhere. It is common probelm for them to get into the many applliances that vent to the outside of RVs left sitting and actually block the flow of air, so heater exhausts and the like need to have screens over them.

Reactions: austinjoe13

·
Registered
147 Posts
You use your press while sitting on your front porch swing? I was priming brass last night while sitting on the front seat of my car and tossing the primed brass under a jacket on the passenger front seat. Where I live, it is very Liberal, politically. Some woman parked next to me in her SUV and was looking down at me wondering what I was doing.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes, with a batch of 380 last week, I did them in a porch swing to get some outside air, but no not normally, it is a bit awkward but it does work. I have done quite a few 45-70 in the RV when camping before, just seating the bullets and using the Lee factory crimp die. Does not work well on bottleneck cases or sizing them, takes too much pressure. If you are developing a load and just want to do 5 or so at a time at the range, they work OK also. If you are just looking to raise or lower powder to get below pressure signs and have lots of time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I resized and de-capped 5 baggies of 9mm S&B and PMC brass today. This should keep me busy priming while sitting in my car while waiting for my daughter practice soccer next week.

2521 - 2540 of 2761 Posts