Gun and Game Forum banner

2541 - 2560 of 2626 Posts

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
I made mint ice cream at the bench last night... I prepped 38, 357, 10mm, and 44 on the couch while watching Psych with the lady.

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
I have been experimenting with the .357 SIG Ctg. This is a most interesting round. My pistol is the SIG P229.
I’ve been interested in that, too. I enjoy reading your range reports on it. I wouldn’t mind having something chambered in it. A Glock 32 would be cool. It’d fit my G19 holsters. Of course, a Sig would be worlds more classy.

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
I’m working on some 10mm with the hand press. I’m not crazy about resetting the dies for it, but I do like being out with the lady and her friend while they do their crafts.

180gr cast and coated over a moderate charge of Longshot.

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
Joe, why load moderate 10mm? all that is is .40 S&W!:rolleyes: 10mm is for full throttle!:p
melted a bunch of scrap lead into ingots. getting ready to start bullet casting.
They’re cast bullets. They still chrony around 1240fps. I can get 1350, but they lead really badly.

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
I loaded a total of 155 rounds of 10mm. That filled up a partial box and a full box.

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
100 more rounds of 357mag. 125gr plated hollow points over a decent charge of Universal. They should be some good plinkers.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
cast my first bullets last night. about 500 230 gr. .452 and around 200 175 gr. .401. most came out looking good but quit a few went back in the melting pot. "practice makes pervert" and I know I'll get better at it. next step is my first try at powder coating.

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
I’m working nights this week, so I just threw together another 100rds of 44.

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
here is my firs try at powder coating. all the bullets were cast last night and there is nothing different about them. (except caliber) but for some reason the last batch of .45s I did wouldn't take the powder like the others. I put them back in the powder box several times and even added new powder
but they would only take on a very light coating. I went ahead and baked them and they do have a light coating. I went ahead & sized them but am wondering if I should just throw them back in the melting pot. I may load some up to try. actually, the light coating made them a LOT easier to separate after baking. powder coating is some strong stuff. when the bullets get stuck together, some can be a real bear to get apart!
I don't know why the pictures got put in the middle of the text?

·
Registered
92 Posts
The more you powder coat the same bullets, the thicker it'll be.. Are you tumbling your bullets in a #5 tub? Instead of using plastic bb's, I use pieces from a styro-foam cup to increase the static charge. Be sure the lead is clean. Don't handle them too much.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I started priming 9mm cases yesterday and have only 300 small pistol primers left. I hope this shortage ends soon or at the least find more primers. I guess I'll have to start casting bullets for those empty casings I've primed.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
They’re cast bullets. They still chrony around 1240fps. I can get 1350, but they lead really badly.
I must sound like a radical Preacher on this subject. However, if you want to run your cast bullets at top speed with no leading try Powder Coating. Leading is caused by gas escaping around the bullet, This intern deposits "droplets" of hot lead in you guns bore. Powder Coat is a high heat resistant paint. It replaces the expensive gas checks on the bullets base.

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
I must sound like a radical Preacher on this subject. However, if you want to run your cast bullets at top speed with no leading try Powder Coating. Leading is caused by gas escaping around the bullet, This intern deposits "droplets" of hot lead in you guns bore. Powder Coat is a high heat resistant paint. It replaces the expensive gas checks on the bullets base.
They are powder coated bullets. It’s the only gun I have this issue with.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
They are powder coated bullets. It’s the only gun I have this issue with.
Did you coat the bullets or did you buy them? Check the bullet diameters to your bore dimension. Do a hammer test. Mash the PC bullets does the PC remain. It sounds like the bullets are too small for your forcing cone.

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
Did you coat the bullets or did you buy them? Check the bullet diameters to your bore dimension. Do a hammer test. Mash the PC bullets does the PC remain. It sounds like the bullets are too small for your forcing cone.
They are from Missouri Bullet. They come sized at .401” (I just checked a few with my calipers). I have not done the hammer test, but I have found a couple in the dirt that have a little bit of powder coating left on them. My guess is the issue is my Lone Wolf barrel. It’s had very few jacketed bullets run through it, and it seemed to be not as smooth as other bores. I’ll have to try the stock barrel to see if it still leads as badly.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
oversize powder coated bullets can cause problems.
mmmmhmm.
401 sounds correct but your gun may do better with 400.
it also might have a throat problem, it for sure wouldn't be the first one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You need to slug your barrel. Find a black powder shooter with .40cal lead balls, grease it and force the ball through your barrel with a wooden dowel. Measure the slug with a micrometer. Your ideal bullet should be around .001" over that measurement. Lead bullet sellers sometimes sells these lead balls too.

2541 - 2560 of 2626 Posts