Gun and Game Forum banner

2621 - 2640 of 2761 Posts

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I've been sorting my range brass. I tend to dump it all into whatever handy plastic bag, or box, or whatever container I can find at the time. I pick up my own brass plus anything else of interest I see laying on the ground. I bring it all home and drop it into the corner.
Now I need to sort it all out just to clean up the mess. So far, I have 2 coffee cans of 9mm, 2 "gallons" of 223, one can of 300 BO, a "gallon" of 40s with a bunch of 10mm mixed in.
For some strange reason, I never find many 45ACP's except my own. Nor any of the revolver calibers. But no matter - I'm all set for the calibers I have.
I don't load 380's but those pesky little cases keep getting mixed into my 9mms.

I can't run the presses right now due to restrictions from my surgery, but I should be cranking them out in about 3 more weeks.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I've been reloadin' shot shells for years now. I recently loaded a bunch of 20 gauge shells. Today when I sat down to reload more 20 gauge shell, the press doesn't press the wads down into the hulls like it should. Not nearly deep enough. Everything looks the same, and, nothing has been adjusted or changed. I really have no desire to start tinkering with it and wind up with everything misadjusted.

It's a MEC 650 and I've loaded hundreds of rounds with it. Anyone had this problem before?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Working up another 100 rounds of .223. It's blammo ammo for when the grandsons come up for spring break. Just a generic load of 55g Midway Dogtown psp bullets and mixed brass I got from Diamond K.
Dang brass is every make and style of crimped primer pocket but I've got nutttin but time anyways.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
the little sleeve probably just slid up, loosen the allen bolts and push it back down and re-tighten them.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
the little sleeve probably just slid up, loosen the allen bolts and push it back down and re-tighten them.
After lookin' it over I did just that and it works just fine now. Took a bit of trial and error adjustin', but it works now. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: austinjoe13

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
i always marked mine with a magic marker or a paint marker once i had them set.
then if i didn't see the line i knew the tube had moved.

the buddy i loaned a couple of molds, and gave some small & large pistol primers to, come by today and dropped off a double hand full of remington 400gr jacketed bullets for the 45-70, and some cast bullets he got somewhere.
i been getting ready to do a little black powder speed shooting project with the old 86' anyway so this gives me kind of an easy base-line out, before i switch over to some powder coated bullets i made up without gas checks.

i should probably see if i can find the mold [number] for the cast ones before i shoot them just in case they are the best thing ever.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
I have Sharpy marks all over my reloading stuff.

Melting down some clip on wheel weights that have probably sat outside in a 5 gallon bucket, with no lid, since the 80's. The few zinc weights are easy to find as they are now white hard brittle porous things. And the iron ones are almost all gone. The clips are even rusted completely off most.
Think I am going to end up melting these Ingots down a second time just to make sure I have all the rust floated out.
Basically digging thru a bucket of rust to dig out the lead.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
I have about 1000 lbs of scrap lead accumulated but also have 6-8 bars of Babbitt. other than pouring bearings, what is it good for? light bullets? like I said, I have plenty of lead on hand so I don't need to use the Babbitt but I am curious.

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
It is way down in the winter in the Rocky Mtn West. I spend most of the days in my "Cave". I have many years of reloading supplies I have not used. There was a supply of .44 S&W Special brass, bullets etc. that was as old as good Bourbon. I set up a Dillion Press reloaded some of these .44 Specials. I had forgot what a nice cartridge this was. My S&W 29-2 .44 Mag 4"" and I will try bringing back some memories? :giggle: :giggle:

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
I have about 1000 lbs of scrap lead accumulated but also have 6-8 bars of Babbitt. other than pouring bearings, what is it good for? light bullets? like I said, I have plenty of lead on hand so I don't need to use the Babbitt but I am curious.
Mike I bet you have a nice sun tan. My face has a handsome wind burn.:ROFLMAO: Becareful with the babbit. The Arsenic based is scary stuff to melt. The copper based will stick in your bullet sizer. Please read this attachment,
Babbit as bullet casting alloy - Tin based Babbitt, Lead based Babbit - Is copper good or bad? (lasc.us)

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
i'd kill to get some arsenic babbit, and i'd pay extra for copper babbit.
most babbit's are high tin content with very small amounts of other stuff added to them.
the worst one of the bunch is nickle babbit because it has quite a high nickle amount and when it's put in a lead alloy it will try to pop to the surface as an oxide, as well as try to freeze the spout.
those types of babbit are far and few between.

anyway babbit is useful as a tin additive.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
thanks for those links Terry.
my Babbitt bars are sort of flaking on the outside and the embossing is hard to read on most of them but they seem to be the marine type but I'm not sure what grade.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Not much,still sorting a few rusty wheel weights every day.
Melting down for ingot. Fluxing well to make sure I get out all the rust.
A little at a time every day, 10 to 12 lbs at a time, it will get done sooner or later.
Then I will be ready to start playing with getting some alloy ready for the AR15 to shoot lead.
Too nasty out to bring out the turkey fryer so doing it in the mud room on a hot plate with the window cracked, 1 little fondu pot at a time.
No hurry, do not to go out in this to work up loads any way. Kill a Rabbit for the pot but maybe. Just do not feel like wiping ice off my glasses with the wind blowing up my rear to work up a load.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wednesday I stopped in at Butler's Jewelry & Pawn just to have a look see. Last weekend one of the guys that works there told me he was going to look over some reloadin stuff of a man that had recently passed away. He usually buys the stuff and resells it in the shop. I noticed cardboard box marked 16 GA. on the shelf with the shotgun reloadin' stuff. It had a couple of bags of new primed Cheddite & Fiocchi hulls, 2 bags of wads and several bags of different thickness & material disc. I got the whole box for a pretty good price.

Jerry & Nicholas came down yesterday and we broke out the shotgun loading book and found the load that matched the components, and Jerry loaded 83 rounds, from the stuff in the box. They look good. Tomorrow we plan to see if they shoot good. The battery for the thrower is on charge so it will be ready to go in the mornin'.

Lookin' forward to some trigger time with my sons.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
my RCBS wet pin tumbler came. today I put a bunch of 300 BLK brass in it. the dam thing wouldn't turn! as per the instructions, I took some of the brass & water out. still wouldn't turn! (&^%^ the rollers just spin without turning the drum. &^^ I finally put some of those heavy rubber bands like come of the clusters of broccoli bought at the store. that gave the rollers enough traction to spin the drum. I kept adding brass & water and it took all my brass, 5 lbs. of pins and enough water to cover it all. it seems to be working now.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Casting BP bullets again today for a few hours.

Reactions: Ron The Legend
2621 - 2640 of 2761 Posts