Gun and Game Forum banner

2661 - 2680 of 2717 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Bought 2 pounds of Unique powder at Butler's today. 3 gunshows this weekend within driving distance. One in Shelby, NC, one in Hickory, NC and one in Greenville, SC. Gon'na be a busy weekend. Got'ta get my list made before I leave in the mornin'.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
I primed the 300 Black Out cases I tumbled the other day. ended up wit 630 of them. most of them will probably be loaded sub sonic but I had to swage the primer pockets on 50+ which tells me they are once fired. those I will load supersonic with hunting bullets for sure.
I have not owned a .300-BO rifle. Is the ballistics close to a .3O/.30? That is for handloads.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I have a 300BO. The benefits are that it easily fits in the AR-15 platform allowing for use of much heavier bullets. When loaded sub-sonic it has very little flash and report, making it very good for suppressed rifles and night hunting.

I don’t think the ballistics equal the 30-30. With a 150 grain bullet the 300 BO only generates around 2000 FPS.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I have not owned a .300-BO rifle. Is the ballistics close to a .3O/.30? That is for handloads.
the 300 BLK is like a light 7.62x39 which is like a light .30/30.;) the main advantage to the 300 Blk is that it fits in any .223/5.56 weapon with just a barrel change. and magazines hold the same capacity as the .223. where it does better than the .30/30 or 7.62x39 is when loaded subsonic. out of a bolt gun it is "Hollywood quiet". out of an AR or other semi auto, the noise of the action is often louder than the report.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Went to a gun show in Hickory, NC this mornin'. Small Pistol Primers were $265.00 pre 1,000. Didn't buy any. Didn't buy anything, as everything seemed over priced. Came home and loaded 200 rounds of 40 S&W.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Not having finished my out building, left me storing some of my un alloyed stuff, and hard lead unsecured under my lean too. In a cubby under my house trailer.

Had a scrap thief roll thru the neighbor hood hit me, took my kids bike, My son had left the panel off the cubby where they could see in. So the also took some scrap copper I had been saving, my old truck bumper and all of my unprocessed lead, this was including my Lino, Chilled Shot and Super Hard.

Did not mention it here,
Because I mentioned it to some friends in a group of fellow casters I associate with. I did not ask for anything but my friends automatically responded. I was just venting over an event. Then Some fellows took it to heart.

The reaction was overwhelming, they literally sent me more hard lead (lino type and the like) then got taken. I have truly been blessed with a great bunch of Brothers. I was truly humbled.

Just a couple weeks ago I gave 25 lbs of my low node pistol mix to a fellow I barely knew. No real reason except to keep the hobby going. Pass it on as they say. He wanted to start out casting for his 38 special and got a lee pot and a mold, but no lead. Do not believe in Karma per say. But this is defiantly a argument for something like that.

So any how. Just though I would share that with you guys.

There are a lot of good people who are into this hobby- art, of reloading.

Gandog who started this thread (rest his soul) showed me that a long time ago, he did not have much, and was sick most of the time during his last years, but would still cheerfully and honestly give of his time, and knowledge concerning this almost lost art of reloading.

I may never be able to out give, what I have received, in knowledge, mentoring, and just plain comradery..

Well thanks to my friends I will be casting 61 grain .224 slick sides this weekend.
I am blessed.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Made some Wheel Weight, alloy to try for my new cast .223 bullet. It came out a little soft for what I am trying to do.
So..
Melted down Super Hard and puting it into 4 oz and 1/2 lb ingot. To make it easier to alloy with. That stuff melts a little higher temp then bullet lead but not too bad. Looks like it is going to mix in easy.
Just now cleaning up the mess. Putting things away for the night.
Will be doing some more alloying, mixing some super hard into my WW mix tomorrow.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Tried to buy some more bullet molds. Most are all on back order/unavailable. I just find that hard to believe those are ALL legit. EVERY SINGLE bullet mold in the entire LEE PRECISION factory are ALL sold out?

Put my email on a few lists. Did get ONE .309, 180 grain, w/gas check. Had to put 1000 gas checks on back order.

I went through my bullet stock pile last evening just to find any that were still lead and coat them with Alox. Looks like I'm in pretty good shape for the most part. Probably will pour some for 45/70, #4 Buck found I hadn't ever even used that mold.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Poured a couple of lead pots worth of #4 buck this afternoon before Duke got to be such a PITA I quit. Man those things take for ever to use up a pot. They seem TINY compared to every thing else I pour even with 6 sets of 3 in a mold. Got them on a screen drying now.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Man, if pouring these things was tedious, cutting them apart is going to drive me up a wall.

It would be easy to make little split shot out of these.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I talked my wife in to sitting down and helping cut these apart. She lasted until she got a blister and quit. I'm not nearly as enamored with the #4 buck as I used to be. I'll have to shoot a few but so far I just don't see it as a self defense item. Better than bird shot for sure but I don't believe you would get very good penetration from these at shot gun velocity.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I sized and expanded about 75 cases this morning. Bored a little. Snow and bitter cold outside. Probably load some later.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I loaded up qty 50 45acp cartridges 230 grain copper plated bullets over 4.7 grains of 700X
Another box on the pile...
Cold snowy day in Dallas.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm still cutting apart #4 buck and wondering WHY DID I EVER START WITH THIS?

They are only 21 grains a piece and at 1200 fps it isn't much more than a weak 22 hit per pellet.

Reactions: blaster

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I loaded up a dozen 7x57 today. 6 with the bullet seated to the cannelure and a Lee die crimp put on it. The other 6 I loaded .007 off the lans. 12 " groups with the crimped ones. WTF? The next 6 were about 1,1/2" group. Guess I learned something new today. Do not crimp! Of course it is a little cold so on a better day I hope I can get sub minute of angle. It is a push feed Win XTR "lightweight" so I guess it's a good start so far.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
picked and poked through the mold drawers some today.
found a mold i don't remember buying [shrug] and two i have never cast with.
think i'll fire up the pot tomorrow and make a couple hundred 8mm's, and maybe use that 205gr. 31 cal mold a bit to see how it does.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I didn't do anything in the loading room. I actually spent a good while thinking about and missing SwedeSteve, ArkansasHunter, Gandy, and the others I met when I first joined G&G. I really miss the fellas.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
I talked my wife in to sitting down and helping cut these apart. She lasted until she got a blister and quit. I'm not nearly as enamored with the #4 buck as I used to be. I'll have to shoot a few but so far I just don't see it as a self defense item. Better than bird shot for sure but I don't believe you would get very good penetration from these at shot gun velocity.
Your wife is more understanding than mine, she will not help with sprue cutting.

A few years ago I bought several buck shot molds, I think they are 18 or so per mold, I have the 0, 00 and 000 buck. I think I also bought the 4 buck but never used it because the others work so well and like you say, they are so darn small. The others are just fine and I use my waste/marginal lead in them. As long as they come out round I am good with them. I did find that you must have a sprue cutter but larger diagonal pliers (dikes-can you still use that word) work pretty well, you just have that little sprue that will make them spread a little early but I do not worry.

I can also say that if you just take them out of the mold and lay them on a board, then place a hatchet over the sprue. then whack them with a hammer, they will work, they just have that little tail on them.

I also found that I can load a 1 ounce or 3/4 ounce slug in a shot cup and fill the hollow in the back with that smaller shot or even bird shot. Kind of like the duplex loads we paid so much for. Or you can put a wad over the back of the 3/4 slug and still get maybe a 1/2 ounce of shot between the slug and the wad. They work well for snakes in a pond.

If I can get some plutonium or Kryptonite I might try that as well. I do drop mine in cold water, sometimes I add ice, so they come out pretty hard. While they are extra work, I use them in my 410 loads as well for the SW Governor, just 4 of the 000 buck inside a shot cup. The factory ammo is impossible to find . A little H110 and I can load them cheap, about 14.3 grains and 4 of the 000 buckshot and that pretty much duplicates the federal defense load, about like 4 32 auto rounds at once. I have also found I can just put one in the rear of the shot cup add about 1/4 ounce of any birdshot, I have #5 and # 7.5 and then another 000 buck at the front of the case. Basically a 2 ball snake load. Have not out them on paper so no clue how well the work. But they are cheap and fun, and let me save my few boxes of factory for when the zombies come.

The 000 buck also fit inside the 38/357 and they make a good one or 2 ball load, fun to shoot really. Here is a size and weight chart for buckshot. Lots of things a reloader can do with round balls.

000 buck, load in 38/357, single ball in 9mm or 38 super, the super can be fired from some 357 mag handguns, the 9mm in my blackhawk.
000 buck works well in 410, just load into the regular shot cup

SizeTypeMass (gr)Diameter (in)Diameter (mm)
0000Buck82 grains0.389.65
000½Buck76 grains0.379.4
000Buck70 grains0.369.14
00½Buck59 grains0.348.64
00Buck53.8 grains0.338.38
0Buck49 grains0.328.13
#1½Buck44.7 grains0.317.87
#1Buck40.5 grains0.307.62
#2½Buck36.6 grains0.297.37
#2Buck29.4 grains0.276.86
#3½Buck26.3 grains0.266.6
#3Buck23.4 grains0.256.35
#4Buck20.7 grains0.24
I also cast roundball in .433 and .454
The .433, 120 grains, work well in 44 special and a 2 ball load works well in 44 mag
The 454, 140 grains, works fine in 45 Colt and a single ball works fine in 45 acp or 45 rimmed for revolvers. I have several that have 45 acp cylinders. Power is like a 38 Special plus P. You would not want to get shot with them.

Lot of projects for people locked down due to weather. Temp is near 0 and snow is a foot deep, so reloading a fine way to spend time..

Reactions: Ron The Legend

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mine won't do it any more either. She just sticks out her hand and points at the blister if I mention it.

I pretend I can't see it.

2661 - 2680 of 2717 Posts