Gun and Game Forum banner

2701 - 2717 of 2717 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Today was one of those let's do something new today. I primed about 80 of those aluminum 45 acp cases that take the small pistol primer. Have never reloaded aluminum so this is a new venture. Going to load them light and shoot them in my single actions and Governor..May load some with the 154 round balls just for grins, powder coated round balls weigh about 140 grains with wheel weights. Hoping to get them up to 1,000 fps with low pressure which would put them well above 38 special plus P. The small primers are hard to load in the aluminum cases, some were CCI Blazer and some said Federal on them. Some had almost a military crimp on them. I have lots of 45 acp brass, these are just a novelty to see if they are reloadable. May even try Trail Boss in them, bought it years ago and did not really like it, but since I cannot find powder these days, I have 3 bottle of that stuff which will load a bunch of these. Probably start about 6 grains which would load about 650 of them, about lifetime.

Also primed 50 rounds of those Tullamo steel cases. I have loaded steel 45 acp cases for year with very good results but never the 357. Probably load a mid level load with 158 grain semi wad cutter as I have about 500 of them.

Also primed about 40 more of the Tullamo 45 acp steel cases, with the larger primer.

Going to 45-70 next.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I too trim and sort all my brass because I usually have a couple guns in the same caliber. This is the first time I've used a Lee crimp die, so a learning experience even for an old reloader. Thanks for responding.
About 10 years ago I started buying Lee Factory Crimp dies and have been really pleased. I see zero reason to put a crimp ring into the side of a bullet ever again, snug all around is better than a thin ring of snug in my view. I no longer use the neck sizing dies and will eventully get the Lee Factory crimper for most calibers. I have several already. They solve lots of problems.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I poured 00 buck for a couple hours today. Now that mold uses up lead like it is going out of style. I'm hoping it is about a 25# shot bag full.
12 Gauge Ammo shotgun 00 shot | Cheap 12 Gauge Ammunition shotgun 00 shot - AmmoSeek.com 2021 If you can find it, 12 gauge 00 buck is $2.60 each, Yikes! I only have the cheap Lee loader- Load All, for 12 gauge that I use for 3/4 and 1 ounce slugs. I also have buck shot molds for 0, 00, and 000 buck and maybe 100 pounds of lead for many molds, but I can sure spare some for the buck shot loads. 9 pellets weigh about 1 and 1/8 ounce as I recall so about 15 loads per pound.

If I recall I only use about 22 or so grains of powder which costs about 12 cents and a 5 cent primer and a shot cup about 3 cents, so about 20 cents each or less. Probably load up a 100 rounds or so. I have factory ammo for the first wave of zombies.

I found some IMR 3031 for my 45-70 and 30-30 and light rifle loads, some AA 1608 for the 454, 300 and 7,62 x 39 and an extra pound of H110 just to add to my supply, ordered from Brownells last night. They only had about 6 powders in stock out of more than a 100, FYIW.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've got a couple amo cans full of 00 buck already loaded and all I use is Lee Loadalls. I like'm fine.

I think I got pretty close to filling that bag. I had an OJ jar of 00 left from last time and it was looking a little dusty in the jar. So after I put alox on what I made today it seemed a little greasy and I started mixing it with the old and tumbling the old dry with the new greasy. That old stuff seemed hard as rocks as some of it was never clipped apart. Probably had a lot of wheel weights in that. Still clipping and mixing and I'm putting them in old shot bags this time instead of the quart OJ jars.

I figure an autoloading shotgun and 00 buck to fill any needs I'd ever have for a high volume machine gun like fire power.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've got a couple amo cans full of 00 buck already loaded and all I use is Lee Loadalls. I like'm fine.

I think I got pretty close to filling that bag. I had an OJ jar of 00 left from last time and it was looking a little dusty in the jar. So after I put alox on what I made today it seemed a little greasy and I started mixing it with the old and tumbling the old dry with the new greasy. That old stuff seemed hard as rocks as some of it was never clipped apart. Probably had a lot of wheel weights in that. Still clipping and mixing and I'm putting them in old shot bags this time instead of the quart OJ jars.

I figure an autoloading shotgun and 00 buck to fill any needs I'd ever have for a high volume machine gun like fire power.
Yes and those buck shot loads are easy to load. I have a supply of 3 inch hulls I may load a few with the 12 pellets. Ot the 3 inch with #4 buck, I think it holds like 40 of those little buggers.

Some of us own several shot guns. If you load 4 or 5 with 00 buck and just sat them around the room, you could create lots of local interest before you had to reload.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've got a trailer full of 12 gauge wads I got with other reloading supplies from an old trap shooter's estate sale. Several of those are for duck loads I suppose with 1 1/2 oz pay loads. When I start putting these in hulls I'm going to see what those will hold with Buck.

·
Registered
592 Posts
A few years ago I bought 10 boxes of (duck) and pheasant, #6 lead shot. They are the 3 3/4 drams 1 and 1/4 ounces of shot loads. Half have been shot up so I have plenty of those cases and hundreds of hulls I just saved or picked up at our range. I have never had an issue loading either buckshot or slugs. I do not hot rod them, just the low end of what the book says. Even if a 00 buck load of 9 pellets was only going say 1,150 fps that give you about 1,400 foot pounds at the muzzle and about 1,000 at 100 yards or about 100 foot pounds per pellet. Who knows what the pattern would be at 100 yards but 9 of them coming your way would not be good. The 3 inch hulls will give 12 pellets and the 3.5 inch will hold 18 pellets or 54 of the #4 buck shot.

I have a 870 supermag that I use for turkeys with the 3.5 inch shells. They are not something you want to shoot very much. However, that much stuff going downrange with just one shot would kick up lots of dusts and debri for anyone downrange. Kind of like that crew served machine gun effect mentioned by Jack Ryan above.

That also brings up the question. Do I need to add a slip on recoil pad or a permanent one? I do not need a pad on most guns I would use for defense or hunting but with prolonged buckshot use they make sense.

Reactions: Jack Ryan

·
Registered
873 Posts
A few years ago I bought 10 boxes of (duck) and pheasant, #6 lead shot. They are the 3 3/4 drams 1 and 1/4 ounces of shot loads. Half have been shot up so I have plenty of those cases and hundreds of hulls I just saved or picked up at our range. I have never had an issue loading either buckshot or slugs. I do not hot rod them, just the low end of what the book says. Even if a 00 buck load of 9 pellets was only going say 1,150 fps that give you about 1,400 foot pounds at the muzzle and about 1,000 at 100 yards or about 100 foot pounds per pellet. Who knows what the pattern would be at 100 yards but 9 of them coming your way would not be good. The 3 inch hulls will give 12 pellets and the 3.5 inch will hold 18 pellets or 54 of the #4 buck shot.

I have a 870 supermag that I use for turkeys with the 3.5 inch shells. They are not something you want to shoot very much. However, that much stuff going downrange with just one shot would kick up lots of dusts and debri for anyone downrange. Kind of like that crew served machine gun effect mentioned by Jack Ryan above.

That also brings up the question. Do I need to add a slip on recoil pad or a permanent one? I do not need a pad on most guns I would use for defense or hunting but with prolonged buckshot use they make sense.
They don't kick any worse than normal turkey loads.
Most of the 00 buck with 9 pellets I already have loaded are gentle as a lamb. It is no more than a regular trap load and I shoot 4 or 5 HUNDRED of those a day with out a second thought.

·
Registered
592 Posts

.30-06 Spfd. (150 at 2910)8.017.611.9
.30-06 Spfd. (165 at 2900)8.020.112.7
.300 Win. Mag. (180 at 2960)8.525.914.0
.300 Wby. Mag. (180 at 3240)9.031.615.0
7.62x39 Soviet (125 at 2350)7.06.98.0
.303 British (150 at 2700)7.514.211.0
.375 H&H Mag. (270 at 2690)9.036.116.1
.44 Rem. Mag. (240 at 1760)7.511.29.8
.444 Marlin (240 at 2400)7.523.314.2
.45-70 (300 at 1800)7.023.914.8
.45-70 (350 at 1900)7.037.918.7
.458 Win. Mag. (400 at 2050)9.041.717.3

Most of the 00 buck with 9 pellets I already have loaded are gentle as a lamb. It is no more than a regular trap load and I shoot 4 or 5 HUNDRED of those a day with out a second thought.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well my post messed up, I was trying to say the recoil pad might be needed on the 3.5 inch loads with the 18 pellets. A regular buckshot only has about 23 pounds of felt recoil about like a 30-06 which is recoil neutral to me. A 2 3/4 only has about 1 1/8 ounces like a field load. If you just increase the pellets to like13 pellets the recoil goes to about 52 foot pounds, it doubles. If you go on to the 3.5 inch, the 18 pellet load and keep the 1,200 fps if gets over 60 pounds. The hottest loads in my 300 Weatherby or 45-70 can get maybe 35 pounds.

So, if I put the 18 inch barrel on my 870 Supermag and load it with the 3.5 inch 18 pellet 00 buck load, I might need recoil pad. That is what I meant.

I agree that my slug loads are much like a 1 ounce trap load, recoil any kid can handle.

Reactions: Jack Ryan

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Just got a 20 Gauge Lee-Load All today. My son new I was lookin' for a 20 gauge loader to replace the MEC progressive I have been using, and saw this and ordered it for me. I brought it home and set it up, and only had ONE 20 gauge shell to load.

Got'ta get some shootin' done.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just got a 20 Gauge Lee-Load All today. My son new I was lookin' for a 20 gauge loader to replace the MEC progressive I have been using, and saw this and ordered it for me. I brought it home and set it up, and only had ONE 20 gauge shell to load.

Got'ta get some shootin' done. View attachment 160747
They are simple and they work. I only have the 12 Load all but I have a Mec for loading 410s. Money well spent. I just use mine fo slugs and buckshot, which are suddenly $2 each these days.

2701 - 2717 of 2717 Posts