Gun and Game Forum banner

2781 - 2800 of 2803 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
wow this thread has been quiet for a while.
I've been working on .44 magnum loads in prep for my Alaska trip. I'd planned on using some Hornandy 165 gr. jacketed flat point bullets I have left from before my Ruger Carbine exploded. normally I load 240 gr. cast lswc bullets in the .44. I couldn't keep the jacketed bullets crimped hard enough to keep the bullets from moving forward during recoil and jamming the revolver. (REVOLVERS ARE NOT JAM PROOF!!) plus I could only get around 1173 fps & 809 ft lbs. out of them. so I went back to my 240 gr. cast bullets. that load (25 gr. of H-110 & a magnum primer) goes around 1400 fps with 1000 ft. lbs. of energy. its accurate, controllable during rapid double action shooting and the bullets stay crimped where I put them. I would still like a heavier bullet incase I actually have to shoot a grizzly in S.D. but since components are so hard to come by, I'll have to make do with what I have. any way, they are 40 grs. heavier and 200 fps. faster than the 200 gr. 10mm load that was going to be my main carry. (until I remembered how big those bears get up there.) I will still bring one of my 10mm pistols to carry as back up or alone when I feel the "threat level" is lower but I think my trusty ole S&W 629 will be my primary weapon.
How did you blow up the .44 Ruger Carbine? I have one and don't want to do the same. I only use jacketed 240 or 270 gr. with crimp grooves.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
How did you blow up the .44 Ruger Carbine? I have one and don't want to do the same. I only use jacketed 240 or 270 gr. with crimp grooves.
if your Ruger carbine ever has a failure to feed, check to see if the firing pin is stuck and protruding from the bolt face. when mine blew, I had a failure to feed jam. I lowered the gun to waist level, turned it on its side so I could look into the ejection port, manually chambered the cartridge and when I dropped the bolt, it fired from an open chamber. dumb me wasn't wearing eye protection and got a face full of brass & hot gas! fortunately, no permanent eye damage. Ruger claims it was an overpressure round that caused it but from the pictures, it can be seen that the burst case is not fully chambered and it fired from an open bolt. something caused the firing pin to stick out and it slam fired!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
if your Ruger carbine ever has a failure to feed, check to see if the firing pin is stuck and protruding from the bolt face. when mine blew, I had a failure to feed jam. I lowered the gun to waist level, turned it on its side so I could look into the ejection port, manually chambered the cartridge and when I dropped the bolt, it fired from an open chamber. dumb me wasn't wearing eye protection and got a face full of brass & hot gas! fortunately, no permanent eye damage. Ruger claims it was an overpressure round that caused it but from the pictures, it can be seen that the burst case is not fully chambered and it fired from an open bolt. something caused the firing pin to stick out and it slam fired! View attachment 161948 View attachment 161949 View attachment 161950 View attachment 161951
Thanks for the pics and info. I'll keep a watch out for that and make sure it's kept clean and lubed properly. Never thought that would happen. Glad you escaped relatively unharmed.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
We encounter both Black and Brown Bears in Wyoming. Carrying a handgun for back country insurance is a necessity. The Multi-Shot10MM is replacing our .44 Mag handguns. The use of heavy bullets and deep penetration have proven to be successful.
When carrying a .44 Mag or LAR 1911 .45 Win. Mag. the 300 grs hard cast bullets are proven effective. The light bullets unless used to break the Bears front leg joints may not stop a charge. 👍

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Cast and PC'd some more . 223
Well, it has been a learning experience. If any thing can go wrong, it will, with those tiny little bullets. Had to rethink my powder coating methods, Improve on my casting. Preheat my moulds on a hot plate, for the first time, start using a thermometer more.
Modify my Toaster Oven. Pre heat before coating and perfect that process. Basically reinvent and refine my technique.
If anything this newest project has honed my bullet making skills, and possibly will improve my reloading skills.
Not complaining, I live to face challenges, and better myself.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
Cast and PC'd some more . 223
Well, it has been a learning experience. If any thing can go wrong, it will, with those tiny little bullets. Had to rethink my powder coating methods, Improve on my casting. Preheat my moulds on a hot plate, for the first time, start using a thermometer more.
Modify my Toaster Oven. Pre heat before coating and perfect that process. Basically reinvent and refine my technique.
If anything this newest project has honed my bullet making skills, and possibly will improve my reloading skills.
Not complaining, I live to face challenges, and better myself.
A very nice post. If you can acquire some tin to add to your alloys the mold fill will be much improved. Have you tried heating your molds by comparing your bullets. Pour your bullets until your molds get a perfect fill. When you need a break then rest your molds on the hot plate. Make sure you wear glasses and gloves when casting.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
A very nice post. If you can acquire some tin to add to your alloys the mold fill will be much improved. Have you tried heating your molds by comparing your bullets. Pour your bullets until your molds get a perfect fill. When you need a break then rest your molds on the hot plate. Make sure you wear glasses and gloves when casting.
Yes sir, you are absolutely right.
The hot plate has been the greatest addition. Now, anytime I set the mould down while casting it goes on the hot plate.

Basically heating up on a plate now,first. Then filling and discarding till I get good bullets ( usually 2 pours instead of the 6 or so it took before). Use the hot plate anytime I break cycle.
Cut my wrinkled bullet and rounded base count in half.
I am using a Lyman #2 type alloy for this with 4%tin and 4.25 % antimony.

I think most of my issues were from a sloppy technique.

One thing I was doing was throwing my sprews in the pot while casting. Might get away with that on a big bullet but the temp drop really effects those little bullets.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
Yes sir, you are absolutely right.
The hot plate has been the greatest addition. Now, anytime I set the mould down while casting it goes on the hot plate.

Basically heating up on a plate now,first. Then filling and discarding till I get good bullets ( usually 2 pours instead of the 6 or so it took before). Use the hot plate anytime I break cycle.
Cut my wrinkled bullet and rounded base count in half.
I am using a Lyman #2 type alloy for this with 4%tin and 4.25 % antimony.

I think most of my issues were from a sloppy technique.

One thing I was doing was throwing my sprues in the pot while casting. Might get away with that on a big bullet but the temp drop really effects those little bullets.
I am interested in powder coating bullets. It is wonderful leap forward after centuries of making "Greasers". Most of us develop our own mixtures of alloys and lubes for casting. I have found the economical LEE bullet sizers to be perfect for sizing the PC bullets. I spray the PC bullets with PAM this does not contaminate the bullets and aids in sizing.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
I too use old school LEE sizers.
I have used Dawn to size with for PC If I am going down .002 or more on a size.
But just for a thou or so, I just run them dry.
Dawn will wash off nice and leave the finish really clean, so you can put on another coat of powder to go thicker, if you change your mind, or use in a different application.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
I use the Lee sizers too. inexpensive and work great.
I haven't lubed any of my powder coated bullets before sizing them. the batch I did last night sized so easily that I probably didn't even need to size them. but every so often I could feel where the die was flattening out an irregularity . (probably just in the powder coating)

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
I use the Lee sizers too. inexpensive and work great.
I haven't lubed any of my powder coated bullets before sizing them. the batch I did last night sized so easily that I probably didn't even need to size them. but every so often I could feel where the die was flattening out an irregularity . (probably just in the powder coating)
Mike how have you been in that Florida sun shine. We have 35 MPH wind and snow. It sounds like your molds are not closing properly at times. This is very common in the aluminum multi-cavity molds. The bullets cast from the rear cavities are more likely to be cast out of shape.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Got some of my PC lead bullet, AR15 test loads to the range today. Things are looking promising.Got good function, throws them to the back a little but have full good reliable ejection , primers looking good, no leading so far in the barrel, Verry little grunge in the barrel. Been watching others mistakes and failures with this bullet and I think I am on to something.
We will see. Next step is accuracy testing. Then on to bullet capturing, for inspection.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
So what is 40 rounds of 45-70 worth these days? Loaded 20 with 350 grain round nose and 20 with 405 grain flat nose. Used 48 grains of IMR 3031. These are new Starline nickel cases. Bought 100 rounds of them just for the looks in the leather belt. Gives that Quigley Down Under look. I have used more powder in the past but really have no need for it so dropped it down a little. They both will have about 2,500 foot pounds at the muzzle and 1,700 at 150 yards about as far as I would want to shoot it. Love the 45-70.
View attachment 161123 '
Nice, very nice. I've always wanted a 45-70.

Reactions: Ron The Legend
2781 - 2800 of 2803 Posts