Gun and Game Forum banner

2801 - 2820 of 2826 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
if your Ruger carbine ever has a failure to feed, check to see if the firing pin is stuck and protruding from the bolt face. when mine blew, I had a failure to feed jam. I lowered the gun to waist level, turned it on its side so I could look into the ejection port, manually chambered the cartridge and when I dropped the bolt, it fired from an open chamber. dumb me wasn't wearing eye protection and got a face full of brass & hot gas! fortunately, no permanent eye damage. Ruger claims it was an overpressure round that caused it but from the pictures, it can be seen that the burst case is not fully chambered and it fired from an open bolt. something caused the firing pin to stick out and it slam fired! View attachment 161948 View attachment 161949 View attachment 161950 View attachment 161951
Do they have a floating firing pin like the M14? You're lucky it wasn't worse, IMHO.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Mike how have you been in that Florida sun shine. We have 35 MPH wind and snow. It sounds like your molds are not closing properly at times. This is very common in the aluminum multi-cavity molds. The bullets cast from the rear cavities are more likely to be cast out of shape.
no, the bullets are cast correctly. there are no mold marks or round edges on any of them. what I felt in the die was where the powder coating had little bumps where some of the bullets stuck together when baking.
its breezy down here but only about 20 kts. today.
Do they have a floating firing pin like the M14? You're lucky it wasn't worse, IMHO.
I'm not sure but I seem to remember the bolt looked similar to a 10/22 bolt on steroids. it definitely slam fired. the bullet left the barrel and I don't know where it went.:oops:

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Loaded up 30 more cast lead slick side bullets for the AR15. Think I am there with a functioning lead bullet load for 50 yard practice with the AR. Just need to send a few down range to verify. Going for 4moa.

Just a 25to 50 yard practice round. Gong ringer load.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
been fine tuning my .45 Super loads for reliability.
got a bunch of home made jacketed .44 bullets from another member here. last night I loaded up some trial .44 magnum loads with H-110 and IMR 4227. when I get a chance I'll shoot & chronograph them. the bullets are really cool looking. they are made with .40 S&W brass and have a deep hollow point. surprisingly, they seem soft. my bullet seating die slightly deforms them. I whish I had some ballistic gel to see how they preform. they might be too soft for full power magnum loads on heavy built game but might be ideal for two legged varmints or white tail deer.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
The local dealer received the 8 pound jug of Hogdon Clays I've been waiting for. The price has gone up, $161. I also picked up some more shot and wads. The only other powder they received was a dozen or so 8 pound jugs of 700X. He now has several pallets of shot and many cases of wads. Still no primers.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,944 Posts
Nice, very nice. I've always wanted a 45-70.
It's a great caliber. Ya gotta get over the fact of its rainbow-like trajectory but it's very versatile. I use the commercial Hornady 350 grain (think it's 350 but might be 325) Leverrevolution rounds for hunting which are decent thumpers at 2000 FPS-ish out of the GBL.

For most of my normal stuff, the upper end trapdoor loads are more comfortable to shoot in my marlin even though it'll take a fair bit more. The sweet spot for me is right around 40 grains RL-7 with either a Berry's plated 350 or MBC 405 coated topper. It's hard hitting enough to handle most things in North America if need be, but also pleasant to shoot and accurate. Some folks load to sub-nuclear levels--which I guess serves their purpose--but I could never really figure out why and as I age it just plain hurts. At ranges inside of 100 yards the ballistics (with the ghost ring sights) differences aren't enough to matter.

The GBL or Guide gun is a decent choice. Henry also offers several variants which are nice too. The Henry has a better fire control system (although somewhat worse trigger) -- it's got an internal hammer mounted transfer bar type of device which lets you load it with full in the tube and one in the pipe without worrying about external safeties or half-cocks, etc. If you're the type that wants a full chamber rather than cycling the lever it's handy because you can just (safely) thumb the hammer back and go; the transfer bar precludes hammer-firing pin contact unless the trigger is held aft.

Then again the GBL holds 6 in the tube.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Went shootin' with my sons today. My cousin's son and some friends were there when we arrived. When the shootin' was done, I wound up with all the brass, While the boys cleaned the rifles, I wet tumbled the brass and transferred it into the dryer. It should be dried just about now. Time to sort it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Went shootin' with my sons today. My cousin's son and some friends were there when we arrived. When the shootin' was done, I wound up with all the brass, While the boys cleaned the rifles, I wet tumbled the brass and transferred it into the dryer. It should be dried just about now. Time to sort it.
Can you think of any group on the planet that recycles more than shooters? When I go to a range and find a bunch of brass it is like winning a little lottery. Keep it up. We are saving the planet.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Local reloading dealer finally received some shotgun primers, a shipment of 100,000 Cheddite 209's. I picked up 3000, he has a 5000 person maximum. The price is up to $37.95 per thousand and I know lot of folks are in need, so I just bought what I though I would use.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
a friend recently liquidated a widow friend of his wife's deceased husband's gun collection. he got a lot of primers & powder. you can see by the price tags how old. I wanted to buy most of it from him but the greedy s.o.b. sold them all but these 2 boxes (that he gave to me) for scalper prices at a gun show.
so now I am back to using small pistol primers instead of small rifle primers in my handgun cartridges.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You can load small rifle primes in pistol cases? If thats the case I have a lot of small rifle primers. I have several boxes of pistol magnum primers and I don't load any magnum rounds.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
because of the primer famine, I did some experimenting. I loaded up a bunch of sm. rifle primers in 9mm Luger cases and shot them out of 5 different pistols. 3 hammer fired and 2 striker fired. all shot the rifle primers with NO problems and no noticeable difference in report or recoil. (I wasn't able to chronograph them) I also loaded a couple batches of .40 S&W with rifle primers and they also fired flawlessly. I did get to chronograph them and there was no difference in velocity than with the pistol primers. but substituting magnum primers for standard primers in my .45 Super loads increased the velocity by around 50 fps.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Yup depends on the brand primers, the gun. Ect.
Done experiments with several hand guns and primers, some combined works some did not.
It is Definatly not unsafe.
Only way to know if your combo works it do it and see. Just cut your load down a notch, if you are loading high on the curve, just to be safe. But if you are in the middle of the loading data, do not worry about it.
Just do not do like I did one time, and get a good result so load up 200 from another lot and have every other one not fire.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
It is possible to load small pistol primers in to .223?
I would think so
A
Has anyone tried it?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I loaded up another 50 rounds of .40S&W
Just putting another box on the pile...

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I would think so
A
Has anyone tried it?

Small pistol primers have thinner cups. The will fit. They will go bang. But you are playing with a chance of a primer pocket pierce. Or having the primer seperate from the case.This could damage your rifle. This is very unsafe.
Rifle primers are thicker, to handle the higher pressures of a rifle load. That is why they will not always set off, in pistols.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I would think so
A
Has anyone tried it?

I have done this. but the pistol primed .223 rounds were not for use in a rifle. they were for use in a powerhead. (a slam fired device that attaches to a spear gun spear or pole spear for killing large fish & sharks under water) because the .223 power heads have such a small diameter barrel, (the part that strikes the fish and causes the slam fire) they would often not fire or stick in the fish when hit in a soft body part. to try to remedy this, I loaded up .223 ammo with the softer cupped pistol primers. it worked a little better but I went back to using .44 mag. & .357 mag powerheads as they are a lot more reliable.

2801 - 2820 of 2826 Posts