Gun and Game Forum banner
2841 - 2860 of 2876 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
g
.450 Bushmaster is a neat cartridge, within it's limits of course. Mine is an AR-15 platform with a pre-built upper from Moriarti Arms, and it's pretty darned accurate. I was having some ejection issues right up front and had to shave the ejection port just a little wider to resolve it. The fat cartridge would clear the ejection port, but just barely. It rubbed top and bottom on the way out. Opening it up just a fuzz helped a lot.

When developing loads, shooting at 100 yards, a lot of my 3-shot test groups were over 2". The Hornady Black factory ammo will group under 1" every time (if I'm on my game...) on 5 shot groups. So I knew it could do better. The factory duplication load of 37.9g Lilgun with a 250g Hornady FTX is quite a good load but not quite on par with the factory ammunition.
After a lot of testing I found that, 39.2 g of H110 gives me excellent 3-shot groups. The total cartridge length has a rather short hard-limit due to these pointy bullets and the magazine limitations, normally with a load like this I would try a few different seating depths but it's not feasible on this cartridge in an AR-15 unless you want to go single shot and feed them one at a time. I do not want to do that. My next load tests will be based on that H110 load, going up and down just a touch to see if it gets better before it falls off.

I would like to figure out a load for the Hornady XTP bullets next.
Totally agree. I do not have one but my buddy does and I have debated for years. I already have a bunch of cool guns that I do not shoot. I do shoot near identical velocities and trajectory in a 454 rifle and a 45-70 guide gun, That being said, when you trajectory is pretty good to 200 yards but drop quick after that, I really do not see much hunting application beyond 200 yards, which means to me anything under a 2 inch group or 4 inches at 200 yards is all that I need. The only animals I shot at 200 yards are big animals, I do not shoot any small deer, The last 3 I shot we weighed, all 3 over 180 pounds dressed.

On mature deer the white tail is about 18-20 inches spine to belly and a muley is 22-24, some bigger. Looking at them head-on they are 12-15. Point is at 200 yards you have a pretty wide wobble factor and a gun that groups 4 inches at 200 should be an EZ shot from a strong rest. I have a carbine Ruger RSI that just does not group like my other guns, 1 1/2 on it's best day, but usually only will do 2 inches. I have killed a bunch of deer out to 300 yards with it, never missed one yet, but the same day I killed those deer, I had other guns in 243, 257 Weatherby, and 30-06 that would all group 1/2 moa. Anyway, all that to say I just do not see much complaint with a 2 inch group on a big fat cartridge. On the flip side I have a bolt action 12 gauge, with a rifled barrel and 3 x 9 x 40 scope on it, that will put those same 300 grain Hornady 45 caliber bullets in one hole at 100 yards. Pretty funny the first time you do it and really impressive the second group. They are about $3 each, so I only shoot a few each year to check the gun.
FWIW

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The Lee Factory Crimp die list at $26.95, Midway only has 32 S and W long, 32 magnum, and 41 mag in stock and no back order for handguns. On Ebay the 9mm is $39.64. There are a few rifle calibers on ebay for rifle calibers, Creedmore, 22-250, 243, 30-30, 303 and others in the $18-$25 range. For anybody wanting them I would just order all you need at one time, get the free shipping over $25 and then always have them. I am going to inventory mine and see what I am missing. They just solve too many problems, 223 really needs one as do all the AR platforms, many of which have tight chambers.

My buddy loaded up 300-400 rounds that worked fine in my bolt gun but many would not in his 223 AR, so he gave them to me. I just ran them back through the crimp die, problem solved.
IMOH

lee factory crimp die for sale | eBay

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I screwed up!
I was reloading 223 Rem rounds and didn't notice the powder reservoir had run out. Dang!
I had dumped the last of a one pound bottle of WW748 in and noticed it filled that to about 1/2 full. I was going to fill it the rest of the way from a fresh 8 pound jug, but thought it might be prudent to keep the batches separate.
Some of the primers were "crunching" into the cases, and I had swaged the primer pockets to remove the crimps. So I was fussing with that a bit to make sure the problem was solved. I got that ironed out (some unnoticed crud on the shell plate slightly misaligned the cases at one opening).
Then it was back to smooth sailing until I noticed the powder reservoir was empty. Bone dry and I had no idea when that happened.
The powder fills the cases so I can't shake them to feel if powder is in them. I tried weighing the cases and found a number of them that are significantly lighter than the rest. Trouble is, those are mixed case brands and the weight varies too much to trust that method (3-gun ammo and I won't get the empties back). And the finished rounds drop into a tray and jumble together so I can't identify the first ones that were OK.
So now I have 50 segregated rounds that need the bullets pulled.

At least it isn't too much powder in the case, but "no powder/insufficient powder" is worse. The last thing I want is an unnoticed bullet stuck in the bore.
Oh, well. Lesson learned. Until I do it again.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Spent the morning pulling bullets and knocking primers out of about 400 rounds of 6.5x6.8 wildcat ammo. I sold the AR last weekend, and the buyer didn't want to buy all the ammo I had loaded for it.
I explained to him that it was a wildcat cartridge, and that he couldn't buy ammo for it at a store. He passed on buying the ammo, reloading dies, and all the prepped brass that I have for it.
I sure hope that he doesn't try to fire a 6.8 SPC round out of it. Even if it goes into the chamber, the bolt will not lock closed because the throat is .060" shorter than a 6.8 round.

That's alright, someone on 6.8 forums that has one or wants one will buy it. I also have another new barrel for one, so I'm sure that I can probably sell everything in a bundle.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
g
.450 Bushmaster is a neat cartridge, within it's limits of course. Mine is an AR-15 platform with a pre-built upper from Moriarti Arms, and it's pretty darned accurate. I was having some ejection issues right up front and had to shave the ejection port just a little wider to resolve it. The fat cartridge would clear the ejection port, but just barely. It rubbed top and bottom on the way out. Opening it up just a fuzz helped a lot.

When developing loads, shooting at 100 yards, a lot of my 3-shot test groups were over 2". The Hornady Black factory ammo will group under 1" every time (if I'm on my game...) on 5 shot groups. So I knew it could do better. The factory duplication load of 37.9g Lilgun with a 250g Hornady FTX is quite a good load but not quite on par with the factory ammunition.
After a lot of testing I found that, 39.2 g of H110 gives me excellent 3-shot groups. The total cartridge length has a rather short hard-limit due to these pointy bullets and the magazine limitations, normally with a load like this I would try a few different seating depths but it's not feasible on this cartridge in an AR-15 unless you want to go single shot and feed them one at a time. I do not want to do that. My next load tests will be based on that H110 load, going up and down just a touch to see if it gets better before it falls off.

I would like to figure out a load for the Hornady XTP bullets next.
I switched scopes and the .450 bushmaster shot tiny groups with both of my FTX bullets loads. The XTP bullets did worse, but are still ok. I'm done with load development, now I need to track down a few hundred XTP bullets to reload my brass.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Has anyone seen 45colt cases? Avalible anywhere?
I know times are unusual...
I am just hunting for some.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
loaded up the .308 cases with 42 gr. of WC-846 and 150 gr. Hornandy Interlock bullets and the .30/06 with 49 gr. of WC-846 &150gr. Interlock bullets. put the tumbled 9mm Mak. brass on the shelf until I find more small pistol primers.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I had a conference call late this afternoon, so took it from the re-loading bench in the basement. I cleaned, sized and de-primed a pile of 40 S&W and 308 from when my son was home. I have a couple hundred 5.56 in the tumbler as of this post. I'll have plenty of sorted and cleaned brass ready to load once the weather forces me back into the cave for the winter.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,229 Posts
Nice @455rocket
I tossed a load of 9mm in the tumbler today.
My desk is across from my bench. I’ve done a few prep sessions on Teams call, lol.
I did a lot of brass prep early pandemic and got kind of burned out on it. Thought I’d knock out everything I had, no dice. Maybe got 30-40% done. Will be nice to stick my paws in the cabinet, grab it and load it.
I do most of mine in the winter as well. I am going to need a couple of bricks of spp to get through the winter though. Oh, and quit buying 9mm platforms.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I’m finally getting a chance to ring some steel today. Last night I loaded up .450 Bushmaster with .240 grain XTP mag bullets and a bunch of .50 AE. Both should make a ruckus.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I was rooting around my brass shelf and found several hundred pieces of already primed 300 Black Out shells. I also saw on my cast bullet shelf a partial bag of .30 200 gr. plated bullets. so I mixed them up with a partial can of CFE BLK powder and came up with around 140 300 BLK subsonic rounds.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I screwed up!
I was reloading 223 Rem rounds and didn't notice the powder reservoir had run out. Dang!
I had dumped the last of a one pound bottle of WW748 in and noticed it filled that to about 1/2 full. I was going to fill it the rest of the way from a fresh 8 pound jug, but thought it might be prudent to keep the batches separate.
Some of the primers were "crunching" into the cases, and I had swaged the primer pockets to remove the crimps. So I was fussing with that a bit to make sure the problem was solved. I got that ironed out (some unnoticed crud on the shell plate slightly misaligned the cases at one opening).
Then it was back to smooth sailing until I noticed the powder reservoir was empty. Bone dry and I had no idea when that happened.
The powder fills the cases so I can't shake them to feel if powder is in them. I tried weighing the cases and found a number of them that are significantly lighter than the rest. Trouble is, those are mixed case brands and the weight varies too much to trust that method (3-gun ammo and I won't get the empties back). And the finished rounds drop into a tray and jumble together so I can't identify the first ones that were OK.
So now I have 50 segregated rounds that need the bullets pulled.

At least it isn't too much powder in the case, but "no powder/insufficient powder" is worse. The last thing I want is an unnoticed bullet stuck in the bore.
Oh, well. Lesson learned. Until I do it again.
Been there--Done that. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I made a second batch of 9-122 TC test loads with 3.4gr AA2 to confirm my initial test from last week. I used a powder trickler with my balance to ensure more consistent load. Then, I had to redo everything ( later pull the bullets from the initial loadings) because I discovered that the pan holder was almost touching the table and I wasn't sure if the measurements were 100% consistent. I didn't want to guess or assume anything.. I finished my reloading day making these test loads along with 38 wadcutter test loads.

2841 - 2860 of 2876 Posts