Gun and Game Forum banner
2961 - 2980 of 2992 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I didn't shoot those hollow points into jugs of water because I chickened out and didn't ask the owner. Instead, yesterday, I finished cleaning and sorting the brass I came home with. And, I separated the rest of the lead I brought home from the berm. To remove the wood and dirt, I pour the debri into my oil pan and fill it with water. The wood floats to the top and I throw that away. I fill the pan again and both stir and swirl the pan to pour the water suspended dirt out. I am allowing it to dry on a plastic sheet now and will bag it later. Today I bout SPP at an inflated price so I can continue my test loads.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
my son's son-in-law wants to be legal for California hunting but can't find off the shelf lead-free ammo for his 30-30 (actually he can't find ANY 30-30 ammo) so he asked if I could help out. To my surprise I found specialty all copper bullets just for the 30-30 (i.e., blunt nose) at Midway USA. So I just finished loading up 50 rounds for him. I just have a most basic single Lee press so I'm not set up for cranking them out like with a turret press. I did each stage 50 at a time. That is, 50 de-prime, then 50 resize, then 50 prime, etc. All went well, if a little tedious switching dies. Only one problem I noticed when I was seating bullets. Apparently I failed to resize one case as the case wouldn't grab the bullet. So I had to de-prime, resize, reprime, etc. and then it went fine. Since they're 30-30 cartridges I even used the Lee Factory Crimp die on all 50. Now I have all the reloading equipment and 200 extra once fired brass cases and a big desire to get myself a 30-30. I don't need it, but I want it none-the-less. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I bought a one pound bottle of Silhouette powder at Cabela's this week, first shipment they had in two months they said. The powder is marked 2019 I also bought some W244 it was marked as Marvh 15 2022. So why am I seeing 2019 powder in 2022? Wonder is somebody in the chain is slow releasing it to keep the price up? Checkmyour new powder and see.

·
Registered
310 Posts
my son's son-in-law wants to be legal for California hunting but can't find off the shelf lead-free ammo for his 30-30 (actually he can't find ANY 30-30 ammo) so he asked if I could help out. To my surprise I found specialty all copper bullets just for the 30-30 (i.e., blunt nose) at Midway USA. So I just finished loading up 50 rounds for him. I just have a most basic single Lee press so I'm not set up for cranking them out like with a turret press. I did each stage 50 at a time. That is, 50 de-prime, then 50 resize, then 50 prime, etc. All went well, if a little tedious switching dies. Only one problem I noticed when I was seating bullets. Apparently I failed to resize one case as the case wouldn't grab the bullet. So I had to de-prime, resize, reprime, etc. and then it went fine. Since they're 30-30 cartridges I even used the Lee Factory Crimp die on all 50. Now I have all the reloading equipment and 200 extra once fired brass cases and a big desire to get myself a 30-30. I don't need it, but I want it none-the-less. Your mileage may vary.
Hi Bob. Didn't you want to use some of those bullets for atleast a Ladder Test?

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,947 Posts
Been, trying to figure out where I mislaid my RCBS Hand Priming Tool, got 500 more SP .45ACP brass cases for fairly cheap for my +p loads and my practice rounds coming up next. But can't find it.
I know the sure fire way....order another.😛

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
this thread has been quiet too long. might have something to do with the high price and availability of components?
over the last couple days, I re-sized & primed 304 10mm shells. last night I loaded 100 of them with some un named 200 gr. JHP bullets I bought as "blems" and 9 gr. of Long Shot. and loaded 104 with my 175g SWC powder coated cast bullets and 10.3 gr. of Long Shot. I put the other 100 pieces of primed brass back in the cabinet for later.

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
do any of ya'll use hand primers? both my old fashioned Lee hand priming tools bit the dust a while ago. I heard that the new "improved" model Lee was a p.o.s so I shopped around and bought a Lyman hand primer. why do companies always try to improve on something that works fine? and why is the improved model always a piece of junk? the Lyman is well made and sturdy BUT the &^%$$ ram isn't long enough to seat a primer (any size) all the way in the primer pocket! WTF!!! to fully seat primers I have to shim it with a spent large primer. they last anywhere from 1 to 50 cases before they get bent enough to fall out. it really drags out the priming stage!
I was wondering if anyone here has a hand primer that works like its supposed to, please tell me what brand & model # so I can buy one.
thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
do any of ya'll use hand primers? both my old fashioned Lee hand priming tools bit the dust a while ago. I heard that the new "improved" model Lee was a p.o.s so I shopped around and bought a Lyman hand primer. why do companies always try to improve on something that works fine? and why is the improved model always a piece of junk? the Lyman is well made and sturdy BUT the &^%$$ ram isn't long enough to seat a primer (any size) all the way in the primer pocket! WTF!!! to fully seat primers I have to shim it with a spent large primer. they last anywhere from 1 to 50 cases before they get bent enough to fall out. it really drags out the priming stage!
I was wondering if anyone here has a hand primer that works like its supposed to, please tell me what brand & model # so I can buy one.
thanks,
Mike
I have two of the Lee Hand Primers. One is 25-30 years old and still going fine the new one is about 5 years old, I have no clue why anyone would find a problem with the new one, works fine for me. I load everything from 38 SW to 45-70. The reason I bought a second one is because I load rifle cases in my shop where one stays set up for large primers and I work a large volumn of handgun with small primers , in the house, that one I carry around and prime wherever Inhappen to be, house, porch. etc.. I also like to have two of everything in case one breaks. The Lee stuff never breaks.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
After Lee stopped selling parts for there old style hand primers, I just bought a couple of their new style hand primers. I keep one setup for large primers and one for small. I think the new style Lee hand primers work just fine.

I did try an RCBS hand prime tool a few year back. I didn’t like it at all, seemed very cumbersome to use. It’s just collecting dust now.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Now I have all the reloading equipment and 200 extra once fired brass cases and a big desire to get myself a 30-30. I don't need it, but I want it none-the-less.
That in a nut shell is the story of my life and probably just about every other firearm enthusiast... and Bobvonb, that's going in The Quotes Of Note I'm compiling, you are the 6th entry this year.

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,947 Posts
Got the Hornady .300 BO dies adjusted to my press finally, I hope, 🙄 Sorry just more friction adjustments than what I like.
I've accumulated a little bit over 90 rds of once fired brass and I'll test two different weights and loads using H110 and 150gr SP I had entertained the idea of 225gr ELD Match but not right now. Also some 168gr HPBT Match might be in the list next.
Kind of odd looking at that tiny case and realizing I can load the same weights as my .300WM.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Got the Hornady .300 BO dies adjusted to my press finally, I hope, 🙄 Sorry just more friction adjustments than what I like.
I've accumulated a little bit over 90 rds of once fired brass and I'll test two different weights and loads using H110 and 150gr SP I had entertained the idea of 225gr ELD Match but not right now. Also some 168gr HPBT Match might be in the list next.
Kind of odd looking at that tiny case and realizing I can load the same weights as my .300WM.
You will appreciate the mild recoil and pleasant little round. Kind of like a 3 carbine bit much better ballistics. I have both a carbine ad 10.5 inch pistol. I shoot both suppressed for the most part.

i have used up to the 208 grain Amax a common bullet for them. My opinion now is you do not gain much from any thing over about 180 grains. I bought a 180 cavity mold just for the 300 Blk. I will be powder coating them. It is nuts to pay for A max bullets when firing a round that cannot get very far at 1000 fps. The Amax will not open anyway so it is just a pointed solid when it hits.

Let us know how they work out I am still learning this round and awsys looking for new recipes.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Well I don't know if I didn't tighten things correctly and the "Zip" Spindle got loose but I'll be needing a new one.
Because apparently we within 10 regular cases the decapping pin broke and the spindle bent above the expander ball
I already contacted Hornady and hopefully I'll get it going. Lesson learned dog down everything good

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Well I don't know if I didn't tighten things correctly and the "Zip" Spindle got loose but I'll be needing a new one.
Because apparently we within 10 regular cases the decapping pin broke and the spindle bent above the expander ball
I already contacted Hornady and hopefully I'll get it going. Lesson learned dog down everything good
Sorry to hear. I have had several loading sessions shut down when the decapping pins break. RCBS sells them in 5 packs, guess lots of us break them.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Yeah but the spindle went FUBAR also.
Anyways I've had correspondence with Hornady and they are kind enough to send all needed replacement parts free of charge. So I put them on par with RCBS with regards to customer service.

2961 - 2980 of 2992 Posts