Gun and Game Forum banner
3001 - 3020 of 3118 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
The chunks are large pieces of lead that don't have the jackets attached to them or hardcast bullets. Sometimes I can't tell the difference because the lead is so mangled. I can't say that all the lead chunks are lead cores that separated from the jacket because I just don't run across that many loose pieces of brass.

· Registered
385 Posts
The chunks are large pieces of lead that don't have the jackets attached to them or hardcast bullets. Sometimes I can't tell the difference because the lead is so mangled. I can't say that all the lead chunks are lead cores that separated from the jacket because I just don't run across that many loose pieces of brass.
Oh ok, I misread (misunderstood) your earlier post. I was imagining 'chunks' as conglomerates the size of a baseball or something.

· Registered
3 Posts
Not reloading yet, but getting ready for my new Charter Arms Professional. I have some 85 gr. Hornady FTX in my cabinet with a bunch of powder and primers, but waiting a delivery of Acme 100 gr. SWC, some brass from Midway, and a Lee Die set from Mid South. Been researching load data and have some good ideas to try. Also looking at bullet molds. All shipments scheduled for Monday. Can hardly wait. My Co-Ax is screaming "Feed me!"...

· Registered
10,646 Posts
loaded up 50 rounds of .45 Super with 10.5 gr. of Long Shot and 200 gr. SWC bullets. 40 of the bullets were from the new 200 gr SWC mold that I cast and powder coated the other day. the other 10 are some Missouri bullets 200 gr. plated SWC bullets. all have the same primer & powder charge. I want to see if there are any differences when I chronograph these loads. previous chrono sessions put this load at around 1200 fps.

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
Finishing up priming some new .300BO brass I got for a great deal. Was talking at a LGS about .300BO brass and the owner said "Hold on a second" ran off and came back with 2 100ct bags of "Team Never Quit" brass. I never heard of it and he was under the impression it was reworked brass.
Well, as far as I can tell it ain't considering it's got their headstamp on it and there's no dings or anything in the rims. But anyway this gets me along to a total of approximately 350cases to my minimum goal of 500.
1000-2000 would be even better.

· Registered
229 Posts
Received an Amazon gift card recently, so I bought a digital scale to use and check against my RCBS M500 mechanical scale. It was delivered today and so far it seems to be a good little scale. Packaged very well and all the accessories were included as advertised. Tested it against the RCBS and both seem to be reading the same. If it continues to be a good scale, I will include the name and model in a future update.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Loaded up about 50 rounds of 257 Weatherby as spare ammo for my buddy and I to hunt deer next week. It was bitter cold but I ran out and fire 3 just to see where I was on with the scope. Came in a little to the right so I need to adjust an inch and a half or so. For those who load the 257, 100 grain Sierra Game King, BTSP in front of 63.5 grains of IMR 4350, about 3,400 fps normally. You can cover the group with a dime and see none of it. Works for me. Not bad for a $450 rifle, the bottom line Vanguard. I have killed 10 or 11 deer with it. Last year 282 yards, once at 403 yards. Flattest gun made for open country deer.

Colorfulness Light Black Line Red

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
lately, I've been too busy to reload. my press has cobwebs on it! 😢
I've been too under the weather. I don't go anywhere near the bench when ill. Recipe for disaster IMHO.
Maybe this weekend maybe...

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Well, my loads above at post 1,037 showed to be grouping under .5 inch. I got a shot Monday morning at 328 steps according to my buddy, I stepped it about 350 steps, oh well. My range finder would not read the distance, either way it was another win for the 257 Weatherby. Shoot like a laser. One shot, one deer. I was a 30-06 guy and killed many deer beyond 300 yards, some over 400 and a couple over 500. That said, I just do not shoot over about 300 yards anymore. I was perfectly steady, and the deer was barely walking. Boom, deer down about 15-20 feet later. Pretty good for an old guy that barely gets around. lol

Inside spread it 18.5 inches and outside is about 20 inches. Did not weigh it buy guessing about 160 field dressed. About a 4.5 year old deer. They are usually a little bigger but the drought is pretty extreme out there. This is the only buck I saw in either black powder or gun season.

Organism Wood Deer Terrestrial animal Terrestrial plant

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Loaded some more 257 Weatherby today, only 21 rounds because that is all the H1000 powder I had. 87 grain Speer Hot Cor, flat base, 77 grains of powder, CCI Bench Rest primers. Supposed to go 3,550 fps, I could have loaded to 80 grains for 3,665
fps, but no real reason to go that hot. The darn gun shoots so flat out to 300-350 yards there is no reason for more speed. Pretty hard to even see a coyote at 300 yards in the sage brush anyway. I will chrono and test them for accuracy and go from there. Love that gun, can't miss with those thangs.

The beauty of those little bullets is that is you see a coyote loping along and you have no clue if you will get the shot at 150 or even 325 yards and you never ever have time to use a range finder or try to guess the range, so you just point at the center of the chest and shoot, you cannot miss out to 325 yards, and if you think he is further, you just hold on the hairline and you are good to about 360 or so.

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Screenshot

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern

The longer .257 bullets have much better BC and shoot much flatter, but point blank on a coyote to about 350 yards is more than we need. Far better than the gee whiz rounds like the 6.5 Creedmore and those who drop like a brick after about 325 yards. Love these zippy little guys. Gonna load some hot 243 for my next project.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Loaded some more of the 257 Weatherby, basically every case the 2 of us owned plus about 50 that I made from 7mm mag. They shoot to the same point of aim, same accuracy and same velocity, just about 1/16th too short. Of course length never matters with the Weatherby calibers as most know, they are designed around that.

Loaded about 50 of them with 87 grain bullets and what 7828 powder I had left. The 87 grain bullets were the cheapest I could find about 27 cents each and the powder was old, about $20 price on the can. So, they will be for fun and coyotes and crows or whatever needs shooting. They are loaded to close to 3,500 fps, so should be pretty flat.

Sighted 2 inches high at 100 yards they should be good on a coyote to about 325 yards. Plenty of power for deer or hogs too at that range, I prefer the 100 grain for deer, but these would work. 1228 foot pounds and 4 inches low at 325 yards. Not much gonna walk away if hit with that puppy.

Font Material property Pattern Parallel Number

3001 - 3020 of 3118 Posts