Gun and Game Forum banner
3021 - 3040 of 3118 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
It rained yesterday so I casted approximately 100 bullets, then my pot burned out. No problem, I'll order parts. Today I didn't PC my bullets. I decided to mix white and orange to create a brighter orange bullet than the tangerine effect I'm getting now. So instead, I FL prepped SKS brass for testloads and collect neck sized T99 brass and prepped them for testloads. Oh, my new neighbor's liberal boyfriend came over to check out my casting. He seemed okay with it but I don't trust Liberals. If they could ban our hobby and Rights, they will.

· Registered
373 Posts
When he left, he said his plan was to cast and stack ingots like me for a rainy day. Collecting lead is more fun than colleting brass. First, I have a lot of brass. It's just that I meet the occasional reloader sometimes. But, I've yet to meet a caster at my range yet, only cast bullets here and there.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
loaded up a batch of 10mm ammo. some with my cast & powder coated 175 gr. bullets, some with 200 gr. FMJ and some with 200 gr. JHP bullets. when I was adjusting the seater die for the JHP, I did this with the kinetic bullet puller
Cosmetics Bullet Gas Cylinder Circuit component

to bullet that was seated too deep. never had it happen before!

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
Yesterday, I finished up the last of the .300BO loading for now. Just test load remnants so I can do some further range testing. Plus I polished and sorted the brass I had from my last range session.
Next step is to do some research and further testing of +p loads for my .45ACP Velociraptor project. The Ramshot Silhouette acquitted itself after I went to a heavier crimp using a separate Lee Factory Crimp Die. But I'm still not entirely pleased with the velocity results. So some extra cautious load development might be in order.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
got 50 whole rounds of 150gr. 8 Mauser loaded today.
now i got a box with 99 bullets in it.
oh well, i got others.
there's another hundred cases sitting there all prepped and primed i'll do some 170gr. bullets in them.

not sure what powder i wanna use, i kind of want to target a reasonable 2650 fps. but there ain't a ton of powders that'll get there even with a 50-K CUP load level.
maybe AA-2230 will get me there without a lot of drama, it will push a 150 over 2900 easy.

· Registered
523 Posts
got 50 whole rounds of 150gr. 8 Mauser loaded today.
now i got a box with 99 bullets in it.
oh well, i got others.
there's another hundred cases sitting there all prepped and primed i'll do some 170gr. bullets in them.

not sure what powder i wanna use, i kind of want to target a reasonable 2650 fps. but there ain't a ton of powders that'll get there even with a 50-K CUP load level.
maybe AA-2230 will get me there without a lot of drama, it will push a 150 over 2900 easy.

Have you ever loaded some 180 gr. in 8mm Mauser? All I've ever loaded and shot are 150 gr. Speer. Killed 4 deer with them but, a little fragile.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
i just done the 150's and 170's for now.
i have done some 200's in the past, and i got some older 178's plus a bunch of this and that kicking around in the storage area. [like some 125's and some swift A-frames]
this rifle has mostly seen cast bullets over the years, so i'm just kind of feeling it out with a few different jacketed bullets to see if anything happens to be it's favorite.
while digging through the brass pile a little bit earlier today i found a bag of winchester brass, but i've put everything for the 8mm away for a while.
no rush i won't be shooting too much till the snow is gone from the range anyway.
they'll get put in the que.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
the last few days have been spent loading a few hundred 30-06s' for my hunting rifle.

today was spent prepping some 7X57 ICL brass, somehow some fire-formed and prepped cases got put in the new brass box.
i don't remember prepping them, but they were ready to roll and i didn't question it after i took some measurements and tested them in the rifle.
i also got some regular cases ready to be fire formed.
tomorrow they'll get loaded and ready.

then i just gotta cut the stock, put on a new recoil pad, do the scope, then get the sling and butt stock wrap on it.
i'll have it ready to hunt with again after a decade long hiatus...
I don't know why i ever got away from this rifle, i've literally shot everything from a mouse [ground squirrel] to a moose with this thing using the load i settled on 20 years ago.

· Registered
373 Posts
the last few days have been spent loading a few hundred 30-06s' for my hunting rifle.

today was spent prepping some 7X57 ICL brass, somehow some fire-formed and prepped cases got put in the new brass box.
i don't remember prepping them, but they were ready to roll and i didn't question it after i took some measurements and tested them in the rifle.
i also got some regular cases ready to be fire formed.
tomorrow they'll get loaded and ready.

then i just gotta cut the stock, put on a new recoil pad, do the scope, then get the sling and butt stock wrap on it.
i'll have it ready to hunt with again after a decade long hiatus...
I don't know why i ever got away from this rifle, i've literally shot everything from a mouse [ground squirrel] to a moose with this thing using the load i settled on 20 years ago.
I bet there's not much left of that mouse after you hit him with that moose round

· Registered
12,716 Posts
they have provided some entertainment over the years,,,LOL

i've used everything i got here on them 22lr, 45-70, 30-06... BB gun, shotgun.

mostly 223's but i make my own bullets so i get a lot of entertainment value from stuff like a very thin jacketed hollow point with a piece of 3% antimony #6 shot tapped into the nose to help it expand.... time consuming,,but you know [shrug]

we have occasionally used a tape measure to settle the bet on highest or furthest.

but chuckle, we will also go over to wyoming to shoot P-dogs with big bore rifles and lever guns.
i know that ain't how you do it,,, but it's sure fun.
the 375 win with a flat point bullet works real nice and fairly flat out to 200yds, the 45-70 will lob on out there a little better in the wind.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
they have provided some entertainment over the years,,,LOL

i've used everything i got here on them 22lr, 45-70, 30-06... BB gun, shotgun.

mostly 223's but i make my own bullets so i get a lot of entertainment value from stuff like a very thin jacketed hollow point with a piece of 3% antimony #6 shot tapped into the nose to help it expand.... time consuming,,but you know [shrug]

we have occasionally used a tape measure to settle the bet on highest or furthest.

but chuckle, we will also go over to wyoming to shoot P-dogs with big bore rifles and lever guns.
i know that ain't how you do it,,, but it's sure fun.
the 375 win with a flat point bullet works real nice and fairly flat out to 200yds, the 45-70 will lob on out there a little better in the wind.
I have never killed a prairie dog with a 45-70. That sounds like a bucket list deal.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
I have a container of shot and I have been casting some MP HP bullets. If I hammer a piece of shot in the hollow tip, the bullet could expand better?
Yes, or a BB. Remember those Corbon Power Ball bullets? A round ball set in a hollow point. In a semi auto you need to watch that recoil does not knock them out, or press the front of the case in a little to hold them in place.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Gas Automotive lighting

· Registered
12,716 Posts
remember them... LOL
i have like 6-7 hundred of them kicking around.
in the 9mm pistols they stroke out at like 1200 fps.

i have a couple hundred in 312 diameter i keep eyeballing to run through one of the Arisaka's as a varmint round.

anyway.
think about those hunting bullets with a plastic tip. [Barnes TTSX, the tipped and improved version of the older TSX]
they are set into a hollow point, and their main job is to initiate expansion.
if you want 100% for sure expansion you need to skiive or cut the nose so it's preprogrammed to open and then you push the nose back into shape.
then you fill the nose with something like bees wax or window caulk.
the pressure on the nose will push the petals open, even at very low velocities.

Elvis Ammo has a video on U-tube testing the theory with bullets Charlie sent him from the same basic instructions as above.
they come out as three petals because he had some weird triangle screw driver tool.
it just happened to be the right size to fit in his lube sizer where the top punch goes.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Prepped 150 308 cases today, brass from a machine gun that had a chamber that was a suggestion of a 308. It's been fun sizing, trimming and annealing so they'll fit in my M77. Also crafted about 30 cases for the 30 Herrett, that's a fun process, nothing can be "fast"about making those, each has to be tested in the chamber before loading.

3021 - 3040 of 3118 Posts