Gun and Game Forum banner
3081 - 3100 of 3118 Posts

· Registered
12,716 Posts
time to lap that mold.

i decided to knock out the 41's.
9.0grs. of longshot and a 215gr swc should get me about 950 from the Ruger BH and closer to 1-K in the Ruger Hunter.
i kept back a bag of star-line brass and only done up 400 rds.

i'm gonna see if i still have some 210gr. XTP's down there,, 16grs. of 2400 under those is a sweet load that has plenty of zip and penetration without being overly obnoxious in the recoil department.

that's what i decided on for the pigs and cow's around the old place we had, i didn't have to try and catch or trick them to get a good shot, just walk out there and put one through their noggin from whatever angle and they dropped on the spot.

still can't make up my mind on those 9mm's.
i'm kind of thinking of just putting something together for the Carbine with them.
maybe a slight load tune and sight adjustment thing then lock it all down and have fun with it.

· Registered
322 Posts
Hey fellow reloaders, gotta "what if" question for ya. Like most of you I got several reload books. But they aging. Kind of spendy so don't want to replace each. Everyone got their preference, right? If you were replace just ONE reload book with new, which one?

Alternative option: Give up ghost buying books, buy software instead (online or otherwise). If that option, which one?

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Hey fellow reloaders, gotta "what if" question for ya. Like most of you I got several reload books. But they aging. Kind of spendy so don't want to replace each. Everyone got their preference, right? If you were replace just ONE reload book with new, which one?

Alternative option: Give up ghost buying books, buy software instead (online or otherwise). If that option, which one?
There is a website that has a lot of the older books in PDF for free. I will do some research when I get fre and see if I can not find it for you. I got my last Lee book from them.

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
View attachment 181624
Test loads for the 1911.
That's what I did yesterday a bit. This evening maybe but tomorrow more likely.
I'm trying to get some other powder to perform as well or better than Unique, which is unobtainium around here. If Ramshot Enforcer does as claimed it'll be my go to powder.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
if you try it you do have to ream the final product.
the sucky/good thing about 0-6 brass is it makes great 44 caliber brass as is, it needs cut to make 45.

except 284 win brass.
that one is thin enough to make 45 caliber from till you get down to acp length, then the bottom half needs cut to accept the 45 bullet.

never hurts to have shell holders.
i keep the old number-3 by all of my presses, and another by the priming tool.
i do that mostly so i use the same shell holder on each press and my die adjustments never change.

trying to decide whether to load some 41 mag.
using gas checks and longshot powder.
or start working on some 124gr. powder coated 9mm's.

the 9mm brass is cleaned and waiting, the bullets are starting to gather dust, i just don't need anymore 9mm ammo.
or 41 for that matter, but i got the empty cases and i kind of hate to have empty cases just hanging around.
I've thought about cutting down .30/06 brass to make .45 Super brass. I never did it as I still have some unfired Starline brass. but its nice to know.
30-06 brass, especially military brass is a wonderful source of converted cases loaded to max. My buddy uses them to make 45 acp shot loads that cycle as fast as you can pull the trigger in a 1911 and loaded very hot. As many know Remington loaded a 45 acp that would function in a 1911. If you have never rapid fired those you have missed a real treat. One of my projects is to make a batch and load them with 9, 10, 11 or 12 shot and use them for shooting wasps and such. With the 22 shot it is cool deal, with a 45 it should be even better. I think my buddy used # 7.5 shot. I have a few of them left that I will try to mimic. I have a few of the Remington factory also, but refuse to shoot them, just too rare.

I also think using them for 45 Super is smart move. The military brass is thicker and just gives a margin of safety in my mind. I have loaded them for hunting loads and get the same velocity by dropping down 2 grains over commercial brass. In the rifle they are traditionally loaded above 60,000 psi, in a 45 Plus P only about 23,000 psi.

· Registered
1,239 Posts

I have 7 reloading books going back to 1974. I use a lot of old powders and load data so they work pretty good for my traditionally calibers. However, I have just about gone to the Hodgen Data Center for anything with modern powders. If nothing else, I just compare them to my long term loads. However, in the magnum loads, there are a few newer powders that operate at lower pressures and get a little more velocity, I like that.

Hodgdon Landing | Hodgdon (hodgdonreloading.com)

The only recent manual I bought is the Nosler manual. Unless you reload the Nosler calibers or bullets don't waste your money on it. They have very little data on handgun loads, the most limited of any manual I have ever seen. I do load their bullets in the 243, 257 Weatherby, 30-06, 308, and 300 Weatherby and it is a great resource for those. The value of the Nosler manual is that it gives you a percentage of case fill and their recommendation of which powder works best in their testing. The idea being that with the same twist you could match that load. So, if you are one who wants a 100% case fill, they have that data.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
looking around my brass shelf, I realized I had some primed brass in a few calibers that I am low on ammo for. so, I loaded up 266 rounds of .45 acp. some with my 230gr powder coated cast bullets and some with the remainder of some store bought 200 gr. plated SWC bullets over top of Red Dot powder, 50 .45 Supers loaded with Unique and some 230 gr. JHP "blem" bullets and 70 rds. of 10mm loaded with Blue Dot and my 175 gr. powder coated cast bullets.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
That's what I did yesterday a bit. This evening maybe but tomorrow more likely.
I'm trying to get some other powder to perform as well or better than Unique, which is unobtainium around here. If Ramshot Enforcer does as claimed it'll be my go to powder.
Ye I am down to a pound and a half of Uniques twin Universal. I am saving that for my Special 357,38 special loads.
So just starting with the 45 ACP. Have the green dot and blue dot but saving that for the 20 guage. Have a lot of Red dot and 2 lbs of longshot, and the offer to trade Some more Red Dot for another 3 lbs of longshot.
So starting with that for the 45 ACP.
Already load 9 with RedDot.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
Enforcer is a click faster than 2400.
just as a for instance.
if you use 17.5 grs of 2400 in XX with an XX bullet.
Enforcer [AKA- AA 4100] will get you the same basic pressure and velocity with 17.1grs.

new manual choices?
bullet maker.
powder you use maker.

they don't always have what the other has.
you could read an entire powder manual and it won't have one single bullet you use listed.
conversely the bullet maker only has their bullets listed,, and may or may not use IMR whatever [you got on hand] in your cartridge.

didn't have time to mosey through any of the reloading stuff today.
i did have a 3-1/2hr. phone conversation with a guy half way across the country about guns and some reloading stuff though.

· Registered
648 Posts

I replaced my Speer reloading book because it was literally falling apart with a updated and new Speer reloading book. I compared the data for the calibers I reloaded and there were no changes of any kind. IMOA, I wouldn't buy new books unless there's a definite change in data.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
For the 45ACP
Got a load with Longshot that is just as accurate as ball ammo. Think I will stop there as the primers have flattened and no over pressure signs. But .3 grain took it from round plump primers to perfect flat ones. Afraid .2 or .3 more might be pushing it.

· Registered
322 Posts
Dang. Have we turned the corner? Went to LGS this morning. Walked out with box of 200 grain ELD-X 30 cal, two quarts Alliant 2400, two quarts Accurate MagPro, two quarts IMR 4955, and two bricks CCI 250 (large magnum rifle). Whole buncha stuff I didn't get, not mention all the ammo in stock. Ain't sayin it was cheap, but just being available is something.
Edit Almost forgot. Plus 100 new Norma 243 Win cartridges. Felt that was pretty lucky too.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
things do seem to be getting cheaper. today I got a e-mail from American Reloading and the primers I bought a few months ago for $110. per 1000 are now $85. hopefully by the time I use mine up they will be even cheaper.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
you know how sometimes the simplest of things drag out and take up your entire day.

i figured i could find the data i have somewhere for some winchester powder i wanted to use in the 9mm. [win AAP]
well i finally found some shot shell data for it and a promise for some pistol data.
and i would/can still have sworn on a stack of bibles i had that winchester data pamphlet number-14 somewhere.
checked all 4 of my spots and come up with nuthin.
nuthin but a pound or so of powder and a brick of Cheddite primers.
done a little extrapolation and was working up a plan, when i found that other powder.

okay Plan-B let's just use the one i found,,, aaand dick,, one load, sorta.
so off to the interwebs here in a second to see what turns up.
never gonna use up all these odds and ends at this rate.

3081 - 3100 of 3118 Posts