close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. that would be the day I resize a shotshell primer pocket!

people are making what use to be a simple task into rifle like detail....when it comes to reloading shotgun hulls.

buy American.
    shoot American.
    reload American.

can you tell im fighting the euro invasion?

2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

They are Federal (American company). They are the most common thing found at the shotgun range here. They happen to be the cheapest thing you can buy at Walmart in most cases. The 100 round value pack is under $20.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. fyi...they aren't American made.
    have you noticed lately the primer pockets on federal value pak shells are too big for American primers these days?
    I believe youll find them to be fiochi or rios with federal markings and a different color hull.

shanebrews likes this.
  4. somewhere around 2015, they changed.

5. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

they are Rios, just purple and 8 point instead of blue and 6 point.
    if they would make 2-3/4 dram #8's in the federal hull I would actually buy some shells.

Federal makes the red estates with the silver head.
    they are the same paper based hull as the top gun.

the red Estates with the brass colored head are from France and are the true Cheddite hull.

the only real tapered internal brass headed hull left is the Remington STS/Nitro type.
    Win AA's use brass also, but are a multiple part hull.

the new Federal gold medal hulls are a step below even these 'promo type' hulls.

Palladin8 likes this.
  6. runfiverun

they are made in America.
    Rio has a very nice state of the art plant in Texas, as well as their plant in Spain.

I have learned to embrace the euro hulls.
    I have done quite a bit of work with them and the easily available American components and just go ahead and burn some extra powder.
    I figure the free hulls make up for the extra 1/2-1gr of powder I use in them.

7. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

I came in from work this afternoon, and checked the deer cameras from behind the house. Then I decided to do some reloading. I have a bunch of .45 cal brass and some Blue Bullets. I loaded some last week and they run fine through my Sig. So I sat and reloaded the rest of the brass I had left. Totaled about 100 rounds. My son has several hundred rounds of brass for the .45 in my garage. Hmmmmm! Think he'd miss a hundred rounds or so? <G>

Attached Files:

Rocky7 and Jaison like this.
  8. runfiverun

I'd load e'm all and empty them again.
    you can shoot 45 acp brass until you can't tell who made it anymore.

I put together 3 boxes of test loads for the trap range.
    the load is up above 10-K which is what I have been working towards.
    i'll give them a run this weekend on the trap field, and another run of a slightly modified version in a couple of weeks after the deer hunt is over.

shanebrews and Jaison like this.
  9. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

45_acp_cleaned_brass.jpg My son Jerry, saw the post and told me there were 1,000 empty .45s and to help myself. So I tumbled about 150 and loaded till I ran out'ta blue bullets. So I now have 166 rounds loaded with the Blue Bullets. Got'ta order some more now that "I HAVE" plenty of brass.

Big Dog and Rocky7 like this.
  10. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Evangelist

CO
    I loaded all my .44 magnum brass last night.
    I was notified yesterday that the bullets I ordered for the .243 and .257 Roberts have shipped, so I cleared the bench so I can work on those loads this weekend. I decapped all the .243 brass I have and washed it last night as well.

11. runfiverun

what are you putting in the 243 cases?
    I have about 400 of them sitting here, all prepped/primed and well,, just sitting here.
    I should fill them up.
    and the 25-06's too I had to scrounge through stuff to find enough 100gr rounds to go hunting with.

I should be out there sighting in the 25 and 30-06 rifles.
    they probably haven't changed, but the season opens in 3 day's.

Rocky7 likes this.
  12. Paul358

Paul358 G&G Regular

WA
    Farting around with some loads in the M70 & M700 8x57's.

Loading up the third 8x57 that I purchased last week. It's a Tikka.

And finally some IMR4350/129 grain Hornady load work ups in Frankenstein (6.5x55)

13. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    Another batch of .223. 55 gr Ballistic Tip, 27.8 gr. CFE at 2.255" and CCI primers. Just fits the mags in my Mini and shoots better than factory loads.

14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've done blue!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BaserRonin and Rocky7 like this.
  15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I'm going to make some 30-30 Winchester cartridges.

Jaison likes this.
  16. BaserRonin

CO
    I haven't yet decided what I'm going to load them with. I primed them last night, and the bullets arrived, but I've never loaded .243 so don't have a go-to load.

17. BaserRonin

CO
    I spent a fair amount of time going through my work-bench last night. It's out of control. I may have simply outgrown the room I set up for my workshop, but I think I also just need to get rid of some stuff and re-arrange what I have.

18. runfiverun

I built a shed to get my shop back.
    I got room for one more shelf on the shed I built off the back of that one.
    which I need to get built cause I got stuff to go on it already.

I'm still looking for a load for my 243.
    the Hornady 58gr V-max has been a stellar performer on paper and on small varmints.
    but I'd like to put something together for deer so I can use the rifle as a loaner for a family member if necessary.

19. gandog56

I believe that was the very first caliber I started reloading 40 years ago!

20. gandog56

Put a load of cases through the wet rotary tumbler and they are drying off. Got some .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, and .223.