close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Resized, deprimed and then primed all the .41 and .45 brass I had on the shelves. In a few days I'll load up some plated bullets at 850 fps for indoor shooting this winter.

2. Making 8x60mm cases from .30-06 Springfield. All needs be done is to shorten the cases and resize them with a 8x57mm die not screwed in all the way. However, I'm dithering on the actual length of case required and I cannot get a read on the chamber in MY rifle.

Not a serious problem, but I am a bit OCD about such things.

3. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Evangelist

CO
    I've been making good use of my bench time lately.
    Made some test loads for the .257 Roberts. It really likes a mild Varget load with 87 grain spitzer bullets (Sierra).

Got all my 50-70 GVT cases sized and primed. I'll load those this week probably.

Primed all the .308 cases I had prepped and made a series of test loads using 147 grain pulled Lake City bullets to see what the AR likes.

Jaison likes this.
  4. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

NW PA
    did 50 45colt last night with 255 swc, have to finish up a few 7mm08 that my brother started and left sitting 2 days ago. then that should be it till the 3rd week of dec. when bear and deer seasons are over.

Jaison likes this.
  5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I still haven't mounted my Lee Load-All onto a bench plate. I need to do a range trip soon, it's been too long since I needed to reload anything.

6. BaserRonin

CO
    Sized, necked, trimmed, sorted, and primed enough .257 Roberts cases for the next test loads.

I discovered that not all .257 Roberts fits a #3 shellholder. I have a box of old Winchester super speed brass that is too large, it fits a #11 shellholder. A quick internet search confirmed my findings, but I didn’t find an explanation... I plan on trading them at the next gun show.

7. Converted a Lee pro 1000 (3 station) to be able to throw 44/40s.

8. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

I bought a Dillon 550C press last Spring and had loaded 45ACP only during the summer. So I finally got around to loading other calibers. And unfortunately, I discovered the 38/357 shell plate was the wrong one. (hate when that happens!). But Dillon made good. I emailed them about the problem a week ago and the correct shell plate showed up in the mail yesterday.
    So I've been loading.....9mm. I was already into the 9mms so I figured I would keep going until I run out of bullets. 38s and 357s will be next.
    Now I'm hoping Santa will bring the other conversion kit I asked for.

I ended up getting the Dillon press because my poor old RCBS Piggyback II has been giving a lot of problems. It was purchased around 1980 and has been used a lot. RCBS is running out of replacement parts for it.
    Some members of this forum, and folks in the gun club, gave the Dillon great reviews. And so far it has been easy to use and very few quirks. My only issues have been minor, and my own fault for not setting some adjustments right.
    No it is not a progressive press, but you would never think it isn't. All you have to do is advance the star wheel one click withe your left thumb while moving a bullet to station 3. Easy and positive. Plus the 550C will load both pistol and rifle calibers.

No, Dillon isn't paying me to say all that. I just wanted to pass it along.

bullet maker likes this.
  9. BaserRonin

CO
    Working on 50-70 govt loads for a modern Chiappa 1863 Sharps falling block.

10. I resized and trimmed some 223 cases today. I have used up all my prepped brass so I am now having to prep it as I go. I like my Dillon 550 no its not auto index but it lands in the right spot every time and is very consistent. My lee progressive would mess up quite a bit and I always had to keep fine tuning it. Once I get my dillon set up all I have to do is keep it fed and put out good ammo. Of course I waste a lot of time checking the powder charge and double checking the quality of my ammo

BaserRonin likes this.
  11. Huh? What?

Huh? What? G&G Evangelist

Just got the loading bench set up again.

Rocky7 and BaserRonin like this.
  12. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

well I got 2 boxes [cases] of old power piston wads here for the old [rem peters] ribbed All American hulls..
    the pre runners to the blue magic and the later green premier hulls.

I need to figure a stack height for them and a powder in one of the newer style hulls.

time to get out the calipers and the scale.
    I have a feeling that a bulky powder and a tapered hull is gonna be involved.
    looks like another check is gonna go to the test lab.
    I gotta be running out of all the old stuff soon I don't even remember buying most of the stuff I crammed in the bat cave [and am just getting dug out now] when we moved in here 15 years back.

13. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Got a pile of 8mm Mauser brass from a swap I did on ammobrasstrader. Went the full route on them. Deprimed them, ran them through the wet rotary tumbler, dried them, sized them, trimmed to length, chamfered them inside and out, final polished them in corn cob and Flittz. Then I polished out about 200 brass and nickel plated .223 Remington cases in the corncob.

Rocky7 and BaserRonin like this.
  14. runfiverun

dang these wads are short.
    maybe I will just cut down some old hulls and makes some 2-1/2" shells

I don't know where my skiving tool is though.

BaserRonin likes this.
  15. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    1k of fully processed .223 brass is on the way; I can get more zombie loads ready. I don't like processing brass for a semi-auto.

BaserRonin likes this.
  16. BaserRonin

CO
    I loaded all of the primed .308 cases I had on hand, 657 pieces. As I was cleaning off the bench I found another coffee can of sized and trimmed .308 brass. I primed them, 281 pieces in total, and will load them later this week.

After a bunch of test shooting, I found that the pulled 147 lake city bullets I have are junk. Even with matched brass, weighing the bullets, and getting the powder down to the last kernel, they don't shoot well out of any of my .308's in any load I tried. I verified it wasn't the shooter or the rifles with some 150 grain Hornady. I have 3 or 4 thousand of these bullets, so I loaded them up anyway. I figure there is nothing wrong with having a bunch of barrel warmers on hand.

Wicked109 and Rocky7 like this.
  17. runfiverun

I got a can full of those.
    well probably a half a can now, the kids keep nabbing them and shooting them.
    they are good fodder for rough sighting a scope in, and for plinking rocks and such with the M-14.

BaserRonin likes this.
  18. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

I've got a bag of .303 begging to be reloaded. My favorite round, maybe because I'm Scottish. My very first rifle as a kid was a Savage #4 MkI. Still have it. Youngest son killed his first deer with it.

BaserRonin likes this.